SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 16, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #1,051 of 15,795
Hey guys,

Yesterday I became the proud owner of a second hand WM1A and I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with:

- Under the "unit information" section, I see the device shows a usage of 213 hours. Can the hour count be modified or reset somehow for instance when installing custom firmware? I would like to know if my unit is as "new" as it seems to be. I know that the previous user had the mr. walkman firmware installed, which I asked him to remove prior to shipping
- My unit is on system software version 3.02 and for the life of me, I cannot find the Tone Controls in the sound settings. I see the EQ option but no tone controls to be found anywhere. Could this have been a function that was removed through firmware updates?

I have the suspicion that my unit could have been refurbished at some point. For $500 I think I got a pretty sweet deal, especially if the unit only has 200ish hours of use.

Thanks everyeone!

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,052 of 15,795
Well technically nobody, not even Sony, KNOWS this since the cards don’exist, but yes according to specs they can and I’m still waiting and longing for the day they are available

Maybe the micro SD card tech is standardized in a way that card reader manufacturers can know if future 2TB cards will be supported.

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,053 of 15,795
Hey guys,

Yesterday I became the proud owner of a second hand WM1A and I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with:

- Under the "unit information" section, I see the device shows a usage of 213 hours. Can the hour count be modified or reset somehow for instance when installing custom firmware? I would like to know if my unit is as "new" as it seems to be. I know that the previous user had the mr. walkman firmware installed, which I asked him to remove prior to shipping
- My unit is on system software version 3.02 and for the life of me, I cannot find the Tone Controls in the sound settings. I see the EQ option but no tone controls to be found anywhere. Could this have been a function that was removed through firmware updates?

I have the suspicion that my unit could have been refurbished at some point. For $500 I think I got a pretty sweet deal, especially if the unit only has 200ish hours of use.

Thanks everyeone!
The Hours played get reset to 0 if you do a Factory reset.

You swap between tone controles and eq when you are on that actual screen and then press the Settings ico. Simalarily when you are on the Home screen and press the Settings icon you can select what is shown on the home screen.

btw. You are in the thread for the upcoming new models so you'll probably get more luck posting questions in the thread for the old models

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #1,054 of 15,795
The Hours played get reset to 0 if you do a Factory reset.

You swap between tone controles and eq when you are on that actual screen and then press the Settings ico. Simalarily when you are on the Home screen and press the Settings icon you can select what is shown on the home screen.

btw. You are in the thread for the upcoming new models so you'll probably get more luck posting questions in the thread for the old models
You are a life saver, thanks for the quick reply. I was able to find the tone controls.

Oops, I hadn't noticed this thread was for the newer models!

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,055 of 15,795
No one has achieved Endgame.
Well, I have. I won't buy for the next 8 to 10 years. I have already had my Shure SRH1540 headphones for five years. Just got SRH1840. NW-WM1A has been with me for 4 years. I don't care for AK DAPs. I love LPGT and NW-WM1Z.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #1,056 of 15,795
So....... are we watching this thing live tonight? and commenting on the live chat? i am ready for 9PM :)

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #1,057 of 15,795
Mar 16, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #1,058 of 15,795
Mar 16, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #1,059 of 15,795
so, roughly 20% off RRP of either 1A/1M Mk2 is alright? no more previous gen WM1Z available where I am.
the new 1Z is just 500 bucks more than the previous gen 1Z (at discounted prices)... still 2.5x the price of the new 1A

Mar 17, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #1,061 of 15,795
I was pretty disappointed with the interview. I've seen a lot of interesting questions on Twitter that have been asked but not answered and the questions that have been answered showed that this was an sales event.

I would have wished for much more technical in-depth Information. Calling the Auto Poweroff function an solution for the battery drain of Android in idle is also rather questionable. And some questions were answered obviously sailing around the true answer to not cut sales on any product.

Maybe i was just too naive expecting something else than an sales event. So we will have to wait for others like Phileweb to ask the interesting questions.

Mar 17, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #1,062 of 15,795
I was pretty disappointed with the interview. I've seen a lot of interesting questions on Twitter that have been asked but not answered and the questions that have been answered showed that this was an sales event.

I would have wished for much more technical in-depth Information. Calling the Auto Poweroff function an solution for the battery drain of Android in idle is also rather questionable. And some questions were answered obviously sailing around the true answer to not cut sales on any product.

Maybe i was just too naive expecting something else than an sales event. So we will have to wait for others like Phileweb to ask the interesting questions.
I agree, they literally read the info on the website lol, offered nothing new.

Mar 17, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #1,063 of 15,795

I dealt with Sony sales reps for 15 years doing retail audio sales. All they usually do is extol the positives and generally deflect any critical questions on their products. Once in awhile if you could get a sales rep alone they might disclose more info but not often. I mostly relied on the product info sheets to get the real story on the Sony products I sold. You will never see any Sony representation on any of these forums for that reason unlike the Chinese manufacturers who are very open about their products warts and all for the most part.

Mar 17, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #1,064 of 15,795
Yeah, more an ad than an actual interview. Was cool to see the inards of the devices and why they made some design decisions. That's the best I got out of it.

Was really hoping to hear how they addressed streaming and bit-perfect/Android's annoying system resampling, but all they said is that sound degradation through streaming is minimal. Not helpful. This is what's keeping me from buying the device.

Mar 17, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #1,065 of 15,795
I wonder if the sudden shutdown of certain cities in China due to covid will cause a delay in the sale or release of this DAP. Any thoughts?

Sony audio stuffs are manufactured in Malaysia not China, so there shouldn't be any delay except if there are shortage of parts sourced from elsewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back