SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 15, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #1,021 of 15,684
So that's probably why no cfw ... Time to get someone at xda involved
As soon you unlock the Bootloader, the API key to access the S-Master HX gets lost. There is no way to restore it. The Walkman App also no longer works.

So unlocking the bootloader is an one way ticket.

The same thing happens to Xperia Smartphones who loose their API keys for accessing the camera, NFC and so on.

So unlocking the bootloader pretty much makes it unusable.

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #1,023 of 15,684
As soon you unlock the Bootloader, the API key to access the S-Master HX gets lost. There is no way to restore it. The Walkman App also no longer works.

The same thing happens to Xperia Smartphones who loose their API keys for accessing the camera, NFC and so on.

Thank you... so it's pretty locked like their game consoles

Mar 15, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #1,024 of 15,684

Wow, this really brings home the whole Sony being a double edged sword kinda issue.

While they provide a nice sound, for the life of me, I cannot fathom why they would go to such an extent to lock a user in on an open source platform like Android.

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #1,025 of 15,684

I'm not sure where you got this info.

I actually unlocked the bootloader on the A105 and it still played music perfectly fine.

The only thing which happens when you unlock the bootloader is that the device gets reset, so you have to go through the initial setup.

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #1,026 of 15,684
Anyone here who has auditioned the 1ZM2, could you please tell me how it compares to WM1Z? I'm getting a good deal on a new WM1Z, but if the new one is big step up I'll wait. I don't care about streaming apps etc. Just want to know how is the sound signature etc.

My primary setup is Fiio M11 LTD (AKM version) + CA Andromeda.

Mar 16, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #1,027 of 15,684
Anyone here who has auditioned the 1ZM2, could you please tell me how it compares to WM1Z? I'm getting a good deal on a new WM1Z, but if the new one is big step up I'll wait. I don't care about streaming apps etc. Just want to know how is the sound signature etc.

I'm glad you asked. I did have the honour of trying it. My posts about it are a few pages back.

Let me link it for you here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-wm1z-m2-wm1a-m2.962054/post-16848044

The Fiio M11 LTD is very reminiscent of my own Topping D70s and A90, smooth but clean and neutral. Suffice to say that Sony likes smooth but more warmth in their players.

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #1,028 of 15,684

What exactly is a good deal? If its 40% cheaper than the new WM1ZM2, i'd get it without thinking about it.

The WM1Z does have a _big_ advantage, and that is the Bluetooth Receiver Mode. When im outside the building, im putting the WM1Z in a safe pocket in my jacket, connect my phone wia LDAC 990kbps and play the music from my Phone. I also connect it to my BluRay Player to listen to Live Concerts or to my Notebook connected to the TV.

The LDAC Support is, imho, one of its biggest features. Because you can have wireless audio and still have the full sound quality of the WM1Z.

And unlike the M11 Plus LTD, its without its heavy lag. I could not use the M11 Plus LTD for concerts or playing with the Switch/Vita because the sound was delayed insanely. This is not the case with the WM1Z. This is worth a lot for me and the M2 does not have that.

The M11 Plus LTD follows an monitoring style, the WM1Z follows an Listening Style. If you're doing professional work like Mixing/Mastering or PA Works with it (what you most likely don't), then i would not recommend the WM1Z. But if you're listening to music or movies and want an authentic and realistic sound, the WM1Z is a big improvement over the M11 Plus LTD.

I owned the M11 Plus LTD twice and i personally think that even the ZX300/ZX507 is an upgrade to it (4,4mm only).

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #1,029 of 15,684

What exactly is a good deal? If its 40% cheaper than the new WM1ZM2, i'd get it without thinking about it.

The WM1Z does have a _big_ advantage, and that is the Bluetooth Receiver Mode. When im outside the building, im putting the WM1Z in a safe pocket in my jacket, connect my phone wia LDAC 990kbps and play the music from my Phone. I also connect it to my BluRay Player to listen to Live Concerts or to my Notebook connected to the TV.

The LDAC Support is, imho, one of its biggest features. Because you can have wireless audio and still have the full sound quality of the WM1Z.

And unlike the M11 Plus LTD, its without its heavy lag. I could not use the M11 Plus LTD for concerts or playing with the Switch/Vita because the sound was delayed insanely. This is not the case with the WM1Z. This is worth a lot for me and the M2 does not have that.

The M11 Plus LTD follows an monitoring style, the WM1Z follows an Listening Style. If you're doing professional work like Mixing/Mastering or PA Works with it (what you most likely don't), then i would not recommend the WM1Z. But if you're listening to music or movies and want an authentic and realistic sound, the WM1Z is a big improvement over the M11 Plus LTD.

I owned the M11 Plus LTD twice and i personally think that even the ZX300/ZX507 is an upgrade to it (4,4mm only).
I agree with @Vamp898. Since you (@blade007) said that you are not keen on streaming, a WM1Z at a good deal is very worth the investment. Yes, its heavy. Yes, it is the chungus of music players.

I too have the tried the M11 Plus LTD AKM thinking that it would be a "value" chinese version of a WM1A seeing as it has AKM DACs, but it is safe to say that Fiio and Sony have different philosophies when it comes to how something should sound. Fiio wants to provide that clean, unadulterated sound but Sony is keen on providing that inviting, musical experience for you. Most importantly, neither are wrong, its just a matter of what you like :)

However, you could keep both your M11 LTD and potential WM1Z depending on how you wish to listen to music that day. I have my M1ST for days when I want to hear every last bit from my track and I have my 1AM2 for days when I just wanna weeb out.

In all, it comes down to how good of a deal you can get that WM1Z for.

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #1,030 of 15,684

I actually unlocked the bootloader on the A105 and it still played music perfectly fine.

The only thing which happens when you unlock the bootloader is that the device gets reset, so you have to go through the initial setup.

The bigger problem is getting a boot image. The UPG files are apparently encrypted so I got stuck there.

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #1,033 of 15,684

It is still playing music, but not in the same quality. Same is true for Xperia Phones. You can still take photos after you unlocked the bootloader, but its not the same image quality anymore.

At least with the ZX507, that was the case. I never tried the A105 so maybe its different, depending on the device.

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #1,034 of 15,684
If the new generation sounded pretty much identical, but had double the power and no android, then I would definitely save up.

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #1,035 of 15,684
If the new generation sounded pretty much identical, but had double the power and no android, then I would definitely save up.
Yep plus the same battery life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back