SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 9, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #961 of 15,684
My opinion it that most of the magic of Sony's sound comes from software tuning. I am even of the opinion that the positioning of Sony Walkmans is done through software, hardware is an addition. Sony just went this way, they put a tremendous amount of work into software tuning, that is their know-how and they have been using it for years. Personally, I have not tested it, but there was once a thread on the Polish forum in which a user with WM1A got 5x cheaper A55L for testing. He didn't like its sound compared to WM1A, started looking for ways to improve, and found the mrwalkman mods. He applied WM1A soft to it and was shocked at the scale of the improvement. He even stated that now the A55L sounds exactly like the WM1A. In general, the topic was whether Sony was making a fool of users because of this :)

Probably Sony'team is on top of the market for sound science, but concerning hardware to be able to produce in a reasonable size volume DAP that offer a 40 hours continuous playing hires flac 24/96 files looks also just amazing. Maybe a Class D amp seems to be also a Sony's exclusive ability, that allow to produce more music than heat (and probably less sound degradation).
I really like the FIIO M17 or the Centrance Ampersand I already own, but there is nothing else on the market with these 3 mains figures :
-> at least an impressive sound quality,
-> a 40 hours playing hires files timelife,
-> less heat and more music (life time/quality).
At this stage, as I already enjoy the WM1A, I still imagine using a WM1ZM2 or even a WM1AM2 with my Vision Ears EXT/IE900 and a Centrance Ampersand amp to switch sometimes to a DCA Stealth.

With the manual, I can't guess if there is still the limitation/incompatibility between the WM1A/Z M2 set à BT LDAC DAC mode and using USB-C to external DAC+AMP.

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #962 of 15,684
My opinion it that most of the magic of Sony's sound comes from software tuning. I am even of the opinion that the positioning of Sony Walkmans is done through software, hardware is an addition. Sony just went this way, they put a tremendous amount of work into software tuning, that is their know-how and they have been using it for years. Personally, I have not tested it, but there was once a thread on the Polish forum in which a user with WM1A got 5x cheaper A55L for testing. He didn't like its sound compared to WM1A, started looking for ways to improve, and found the mrwalkman mods. He applied WM1A soft to it and was shocked at the scale of the improvement. He even stated that now the A55L sounds exactly like the WM1A. In general, the topic was whether Sony was making a fool of users because of this :)
That is the dirty truth very few recognized, and even fewer being able to admit it openly. It is IMO, ironic that many people in this hobby willing to spend thousands of dollars pursuing the last "inch" (or even millimeter) of potential from hardware, but overlook the miles of unrealized potential hidden intentionally by Sony (and perhaps some other players in the industry) through firmware/software programming.

After spending like 10 years in this hobby, I finally understand why there are always new players step in even there are fierce competition ongoing, it is such a luscious market with plenty of low-hanging fruits from some ignorant but wealthy hobbyists. In most circumstances whether it really sounds good or not doesnt matter a lot, what really MATTERS is create a PERCEPTION to the audience to BELIEVE your products is good, through numbers on spec or other marketing slogan. At the end of the day, there isnt much of reliable way to define a good sound (there are many ways to tell something went wrong, but even excellent measurements numbers from THD, SNR or FR doesnt warrant it is "good" as the hobby itself is pretty much subjective).

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #963 of 15,684
I have an A55 and a Nayparm modded 1Z both running the WalkmanOne fw with the same settings and there is no doubt that the 1Z is clearly better. However the A55 with WalkmanOne is fantastic and had I had that combo 5 years ago I probably would never have bought the 1Z

Mar 9, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #964 of 15,684
I don't think the new Walkman will eclipse the Tazzies. They each serve their own purpose.

As for whether or not there is really a big difference for what they imported from the DMP-Z1, I guess it really depends on how much Sony juice you have been drinking. I was merely repeating info from the Sony site, that's all.

Personally, I dont think the 0.03% upgrade in copper or using gold in solder or Kimber this and that will really make a difference. The part which I believe that will probably cause a difference is the capacitors.
Speaking of the devil, Paul seems to agree.

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #965 of 15,684
All the wiring upgrades do make a different as well as the capacitors upgrades. Going from OFC to something like high purity 6N OCC wires can improve the sound quality. Changing out Decoupling capacitors will also change the sound as well. I am a fan of Blackgates and Silmics II. That’s why I plan to get the 1AM2, and then upgrade the wiring to bring out better performance. This time around the new signature Walkman are more alike than difference.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #966 of 15,684
That is the dirty truth very few recognized, and even fewer being able to admit it openly. It is IMO, ironic that many people in this hobby willing to spend thousands of dollars pursuing the last "inch" (or even millimeter) of potential from hardware, but overlook the miles of unrealized potential hidden intentionally by Sony (and perhaps some other players in the industry) through firmware/software programming.

After spending like 10 years in this hobby, I finally understand why there are always new players step in even there are fierce competition ongoing, it is such a luscious market with plenty of low-hanging fruits from some ignorant but wealthy hobbyists. In most circumstances whether it really sounds good or not doesnt matter a lot, what really MATTERS is create a PERCEPTION to the audience to BELIEVE your products is good, through numbers on spec or other marketing slogan. At the end of the day, there isnt much of reliable way to define a good sound (there are many ways to tell something went wrong, but even excellent measurements numbers from THD, SNR or FR doesnt warrant it is "good" as the hobby itself is pretty much subjective).
I second this opinion, especially the idea of measurements particularly being the be all end all. In fact, many who brigade the idea of excellent measurements making their opinion objectively right have inherently formed subjective opinions about it.

As for wasting money, I admit, I really like spending to get that last drop when my finances allow.

All the wiring upgrades do make a different as well as the capacitors upgrades. Going from OFC to something like high purity 6N OCC wires can improve the sound quality. Changing out Decoupling capacitors will also change the sound as well. I am a fan of Blackgates and Silmics II. That’s why I plan to get the 1AM2, and then upgrade the wiring to bring out better performance. This time around the new signature Walkman are more alike than difference.
Please do take a picture when you do so. I have mad respect for those who are willing to bust open their investment and toy with the insides. Do let us know how it sound as well. As for which capacitors sound good, all I know is the Chinese brands spam the OPA ones while iFi loves to tell people they use Silmics.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #967 of 15,684
It’s apples and oranges. There is no possibility that the new handheld device can approach the TA-ZH1ES. Some have always liked the tone of the handhelds better, and just didn’t like the darkness of the TA. So they sold their TA. Still in general (what the general audiophile population thinks) the power output and detail obtained by the DAC isn’t even in the same realm as the portables. They have to make compromises to get them portable size.

I like oranges it make the music to sound better, apples are kinda sour and cold.
If we thinker this for a second. Sony's next gear release should be a new pair of headphones and a new taz successor with third gen sony capacitors. Now thats gonna be a bad ass S-Master device!

Dmp has akm dac to me it will never be an ultimate true sony sound house. I only want s-master!

Also I believe the new 1a m2 is the golden dap, 1z alters the sound a lot. Yes its musical and harmonically beautiful yet it is not the native pure sound of the recording. The fir generation of 1a had a drawback vs 1z due to less capacitors. Not anymore! So sony offering us one darn deal here half the cost of 1z with even performance, it is just a matter of tuning preference now.

I don't think the new Walkman will eclipse the Tazzies. They each serve their own purpose.

As for whether or not there is really a big difference for what they imported from the DMP-Z1, I guess it really depends on how much Sony juice you have been drinking. I was merely repeating info from the Sony site, that's all.

Personally, I dont think the 0.03% upgrade in copper or using gold in solder or Kimber this and that will really make a difference. The part which I believe that will probably cause a difference is the capacitors.

Bro I am sorry but this is the area where you need Tiger Ears hehe, to be able to hear such subtleties you need very good gear and ears 😅😛

Tiger 🐅

Mar 9, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #968 of 15,684
Well of that's true I really am looking forward to an Xperia Walkman. All of Sony's hardware and software tech make them prime to basically be the best combination for a smartphone implementation, just an Xperia that focus more on sound quality rather than camera would be lovely. Make them a Tad thicker to accommodate the 4.4 bal output and I'm good. There's no need for big output power, just all the Sony sound science.

Mar 9, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #969 of 15,684
I second this opinion, especially the idea of measurements particularly being the be all end all. In fact, many who brigade the idea of excellent measurements making their opinion objectively right have inherently formed subjective opinions about it.

As for wasting money, I admit, I really like spending to get that last drop when my finances allow.

Please do take a picture when you do so. I have mad respect for those who are willing to bust open their investment and toy with the insides. Do let us know how it sound as well. As for which capacitors sound good, all I know is the Chinese brands spam the OPA ones while iFi loves to tell people they use Silmics.
ZX507 recabled with silver/gold alloy cable. Thanks to @whitigr for guiding me.

Attachments

• D996429E-3EE3-4C9C-A426-C37087E6BB8A.jpeg
    D996429E-3EE3-4C9C-A426-C37087E6BB8A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 837702DB-0DF6-4373-AA07-78F8BF80A502.jpeg
    837702DB-0DF6-4373-AA07-78F8BF80A502.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DE91E06A-C21E-4991-94A1-41C0B4F48079.jpeg
    DE91E06A-C21E-4991-94A1-41C0B4F48079.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • D339955A-9528-47CA-81AF-A2FC727D9CE3.jpeg
    D339955A-9528-47CA-81AF-A2FC727D9CE3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2A5DCC59-3D6F-476D-9055-476CABEB210E.jpeg
    2A5DCC59-3D6F-476D-9055-476CABEB210E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DF8FAE4A-997E-4C83-9B7E-CFF54B4C7458.jpeg
    DF8FAE4A-997E-4C83-9B7E-CFF54B4C7458.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #970 of 15,684
ZX507 recabled with silver/gold alloy cable. Thanks to @whitigr for guiding me.
Mad respect. That is true dedication but man is that battery tiny. I wonder what would happen if you brought that to a Sony service centre and tell them its broken.

I think they will flip you off and tell you to go home.

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #972 of 15,684
Mad respect. That is true dedication but man is that battery tiny. I wonder what would happen if you brought that to a Sony service centre and tell them its broken.

I think they will flip you off and tell you to go home.
All I need is a spare battery to keep my ZX507 going unless Andriod stops working. This battery is the same model as used in ZX300. The ZX507 is already better sounding than a stock WM1A after this mod. Not sure that you can tell from the pictures, but I upgrade the OFC wires from the audio board to 4.4 mm with silver/gold wires, and did the same to the Super Capacitor. Then I upgraded the battery wires with the Moon Black Dragon wires. I didn't mess with 3.5 mm at all given that my headphones are all reterminated with 4.4 mm connector. I wish I'm as good as other Modders able to upgrade the capacitors on the audio board.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #973 of 15,684
I don't mind importing the new WM1AM2 from Japan, but has Sony USA even acknowledged the new Walkmans?
Not according to the Site.

Mar 9, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #975 of 15,684
Yeah, I've been checking every now and then. Their US Twitter handle also hasn't said a word about them. I wonder why :thinking:
Yet Audio46, the brick & mortar store in NYC will get them in early April.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back