SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 8, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #946 of 15,941
@chewyR is right, according to Sony. Please take a look at this interview: https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/220209/?s_pid=jp_/walkman/_wmsptop

Many internal design elements of the M2, like the development of the FTCAP3, the usage of a "winded coil in the electrical circuit" and the usage of OFC for the cable connecting the battery to the motherboard.

The upgrade from a thin to a thicker kimber kable, as you have noted, is also inspired from the DMP-Z1.
The whole OFC sure does benefit it. I did a mod on all of my Walkman with Moon-Audio Black Dragon. Wonder why Sony didn’t go with something better than OFC wire. Again, I think it is going to sound better than the original signature Walkman but it can’t possibly match that of a DMP. Wonder if the sound now eclipse the TA-ZH1ES.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #947 of 15,941
Lol

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #949 of 15,941
Mar 8, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #950 of 15,941
That's good news for European users .. at least for 20 hours we can feed a demanding IEM/Headphone... better than no access to hi-gain 4.4mm output at all like WM1A.

1646766326172.png

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #951 of 15,941
That's good news for European users .. at least for 20 hours we can feed a demanding IEM/Headphone... better than no access to hi-gain 4.4mm output at all like WM1A.

1646766326172.png

Not sure what to say... Even if they would show the High/Low gain options, the volume could still be lower than on other regions. This is how it works on the WM1A/Z. Actually, even if there's no High/Low gain on EU regions for the classic WM1A/Z, the normal gain maximum volume is lower than the one on a non-EU player.

Even better, an EU ZX507 player owner could tell us if they have the gain option.

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #952 of 15,941
Not sure what to say... Even if they would show the High/Low gain options, the volume could still be lower than on other regions. This is how it works on the WM1A/Z. Actually, even if there's no High/Low gain on EU regions for the classic WM1A/Z, the normal gain maximum volume is lower than the one on a non-EU player.

Even better, an EU ZX507 player owner could tell us if they have the gain option.
:sob::sob::sob:

Mar 8, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #954 of 15,941
From what I've read zx507 owners are also hit by European volume cap, same as the old ZX1/2's. Isn't this beep meantioned just a modern equivalent of Sonys AVLS system?
Sonys AVLS system seems to be also available..

As I won't be able to drive some of my favorites IEM and Headphone .. I won't order the Sony's DAP and I will stay with the WM1A which could be uncapped by changing region with some utility.

Mar 8, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #955 of 15,941
The whole OFC sure does benefit it. I did a mod on all of my Walkman with Moon-Audio Black Dragon. Wonder why Sony didn’t go with something better than OFC wire. Again, I think it is going to sound better than the original signature Walkman but it can’t possibly match that of a DMP. Wonder if the sound now eclipse the TA-ZH1ES.

If Sony is doing it…..it must contribute to an improve sound quality!
It’s apples and oranges. There is no possibility that the new handheld device can approach the TA-ZH1ES. Some have always liked the tone of the handhelds better, and just didn’t like the darkness of the TA. So they sold their TA. Still in general (what the general audiophile population thinks) the power output and detail obtained by the DAC isn’t even in the same realm as the portables. They have to make compromises to get them portable size.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #956 of 15,941
It’s apples and oranges. There is no possibility that the new handheld device can approach the TA-ZH1ES. Some have always liked the tone of the handhelds better, and just didn’t like the darkness of the TA. So they sold their TA. Still in general (what the general audiophile population thinks) the power output and detail obtained by the DAC isn’t even in the same realm as the portables. They have to make compromises to get them portable size.
That I do know, but I was just playing with the Walkman fan.

Mar 8, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #957 of 15,941
If Sony is doing it…..it must contribute to an improve sound quality!

I don't think the new Walkman will eclipse the Tazzies. They each serve their own purpose.

As for whether or not there is really a big difference for what they imported from the DMP-Z1, I guess it really depends on how much Sony juice you have been drinking. I was merely repeating info from the Sony site, that's all.

Personally, I dont think the 0.03% upgrade in copper or using gold in solder or Kimber this and that will really make a difference. The part which I believe that will probably cause a difference is the capacitors.

Mar 9, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #958 of 15,941
My opinion it that most of the magic of Sony's sound comes from software tuning. I am even of the opinion that the positioning of Sony Walkmans is done through software, hardware is an addition. Sony just went this way, they put a tremendous amount of work into software tuning, that is their know-how and they have been using it for years. Personally, I have not tested it, but there was once a thread on the Polish forum in which a user with WM1A got 5x cheaper A55L for testing. He didn't like its sound compared to WM1A, started looking for ways to improve, and found the mrwalkman mods. He applied WM1A soft to it and was shocked at the scale of the improvement. He even stated that now the A55L sounds exactly like the WM1A. In general, the topic was whether Sony was making a fool of users because of this :)

Mar 9, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #959 of 15,941
My opinion it that most of the magic of Sony's sound comes from software tuning. I am even of the opinion that the positioning of Sony Walkmans is done through software, hardware is an addition. Sony just went this way, they put a tremendous amount of work into software tuning, that is their know-how and they have been using it for years. Personally, I have not tested it, but there was once a thread on the Polish forum in which a user with WM1A got 5x cheaper A55L for testing. He didn't like its sound compared to WM1A, started looking for ways to improve, and found the mrwalkman mods. He applied WM1A soft to it and was shocked at the scale of the improvement. He even stated that now the A55L sounds exactly like the WM1A. In general, the topic was whether Sony was making a fool of users because of this :)

Well, while the sound signature may be that of a WM1Z, the less capable hardware of the A55 cannot render that sound signature as well as an actual WM1Z, so hardware still matters.

In any case, the sound improvement is awesome nonetheless!

Mar 9, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #960 of 15,941
Well, while the sound signature may be that of a WM1Z, the less capable hardware of the A55 cannot render that sound signature as well as an actual WM1Z, so hardware still matters.

In any case, the sound improvement is awesome nonetheless!
2X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back