SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 10, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #976 of 15,684
Anyone knows if the USB-C port can handle some external SSD (4Tb or 2Tb) ? it can be a nice feature as many androids DAP's already handle those SSDs, but with Sony, we never know about limitations.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #977 of 15,684
Welp like most of you I've started to look into the WM1AM2. So much for my wallet getting a break (sigh)

Mar 10, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #978 of 15,684
another interesting take on the WM1ZM2 from a serious audio reviewer who really likes it ....
From my own perspective the colouration of the 1ZM1 was too dark and overegged the Kimber et al.... @MrWalkman Chamelon 1Z/1A blend CFW opened it up completely. Which I think is the reaction this reviewer may be having to a new 1Zm2 tuned more like a 1A.

https://twitter.com/ReijiAsakura?s=20&t=UDDzrCUJUIwrSs7MqDo16w

1646916788850.png
1646916900319.png

1646916979314.png

1646917135839.png

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #979 of 15,684
I wonder if I should get the 1AM2 and a IER-Z1R or just the 1ZM2 and use IER-M9 that I have. maybe get the Z1R later... seems like bothe the M2s are close in sound. can't try yet in my country as there are no demo units.

Mar 10, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #980 of 15,684
I wonder if I should get the 1AM2 and a IER-Z1R or just the 1ZM2 and use IER-M9 that I have. maybe get the Z1R later... seems like bothe the M2s are close in sound. can't try yet in my country as there are no demo units.
It's merely of matter of is 2000 price difference worth it to you. There will be differences for sure but at the same time, it won't be huge.

Put it this way, do you have money to spare like it's tree leaves? If no, I'd go with former as 1A is pleasing enough (speaking in terms of the 2016 models but same will probably apply to 2022 models, if not will apply even more due to 1:1 hardware)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #981 of 15,684
It's merelybof matter of is 2000 price difference worth it to you. There will be differences for sure but at the same time, it won't be huge.

Put it this way, do you have money to spare like it's tree leaves? If no, I'd go with former as 1A is pleasing enough (speaking in terms of the 2016 models but same will probably apply to 2022 models, if not will apply even more due to 1:1 hardware)
Is it really 1:1 this time? other than the Kimber cables internally?

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #982 of 15,684
Is it really 1:1 this time? other than the Kimber cables internally?

Yes, just different cables, enclosure, and factory configuration, so the firmware can know on which one of the players is running :)

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #983 of 15,684
Yes, just different cables, enclosure, and factory configuration, so the firmware can know on which one of the players is running :)
that 0.03% copper tho. :L3000:

Mar 10, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #984 of 15,684
lots of data and thoughts in this M1 v M2 Z&A review just published (via translation)

https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/torii/1394024.html

"Good work x good product" by Kazutoyo Torii
cleardot.gif
Select Language
111th
torii_top2.jpg

Listen to the top two Sony "New Walkman" models. Finally streaming support!​

• Torii Kazutoyo

March 11, 2022 08:30

This time, we will take up the latest Walkman model "NW-WM1ZM2" (actual sales of about 396,000 yen) and "NW-WM1AM2" (159,500 yen) scheduled to be released on March 25. It is the highest-end series of Walkman, and it is a model that will be renewed for the first time in 5 years from the previous work.
There aren't many models of these high-priced players, but popular manufacturers are also selling them. As a flagship model, it is also a model that shows the high level of technology and sound quality of the manufacturer. For users, I thought that not only enthusiasts who pursue the best sound quality with popular headphones and earphones, but also enjoy audio in a space-saving manner such as a desktop by taking advantage of its small size and portability, and use it as a car audio player. There are many uses as above.
That's why there are many competing models from rival manufacturers, and I think many people are interested in it. Moreover, since it is the first model change in 5 years, there are many points that the NW-WM1ZM / WM1AM2 has changed significantly from the previous work. Therefore, I will borrow the previous model together and introduce the points that have evolved in terms of functionality and technology, and above all, the points that have changed in sound making.

NW-WM1ZM and NW-WM1AM2 side by side. The golden body is WM1ZM2, and the black one is WM1AM2. The material of the body is different, but both are the same size, and the basic design is also the same

Functionality has greatly evolved, such as support for streaming services​

First of all, from the functional aspect. The biggest change is the adoption of Android 11 as the OS. The conventional model specializes in audio playback and has a simple function that can be called stoic, which is a good contrast. However, as a Walkman, the ZX series and A series have already realized the Android OS installation in advance, and it follows that route. This is to support streaming music services that are becoming more widespread.
As a result, you can add various apps as well as streaming music services from the Google Play store. However, since the NW-WM1ZM / WM1AM2 does not have a GPS function, apps that require a GPS map app function, such as a map app, will not work properly. Of course, it is not exactly the same as an Android device such as a smartphone.
Along with this, the display has been enlarged to a 5-inch HD resolution (1,280 x 720 dots), and the size has also increased. By comparison, it's certainly bigger, but because current smartphones tend to have larger displays, I think the conventional NW-WM1Z / WM1A is more than the NW-WM1ZM / WM1AM2. I feel it is smaller than it is. It's heavy, but even the author, who doesn't have a big palm, doesn't have any trouble handling it, and can perform basic operations properly while holding it with one hand.

Comparison with the previous model. The display has also become larger

I took a picture of holding it with one hand. Even though it's bigger, even a writer with a small hand can hold it properly and operate it properly.
And, in the part related to usability, the charging / data connection terminal was changed from the original WM terminal to the general-purpose USB C terminal. This is also the same as the preceding model. It is still convenient to be able to share the cable with smartphones for charging. And by becoming a USB C terminal, it is also a big advantage that the data transfer speed and charging time are faster.

Change from original WM terminal to general-purpose USB C terminal

Taken side by side with old and new models. The left is WM1ZM2 and the right is WM1Z. The difference in size is the biggest difference
The back is the part with the most different impression, and it is not the textured processing that was popular in the conventional model, but the non-slip processing that feels a little smoother. I think that the difference in appearance and texture may differ depending on the taste, but the material of the rear cover has changed significantly, and the resin cover has been changed to machined aluminum (WM1ZM2) and aluminum press molding (WM1AM2). As will be described in detail later, the rear cover is also made of metal to further reduce the resistance of the chassis and contribute to sound quality. Also, the WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2 are almost the same size and design, but the shape of the back cover is slightly different.

The backs are lined up. The WM1ZM2 on the left has a thicker upper part. The back cover is also a machined aluminum cover. The rear cover of the WM1Z on the right is made of resin

The back of WM1ZM2 (left) and WM1AM2 (right). Not only the design but also the shape and material of the rear cover are different
The basic layout and number of buttons, such as the operation buttons on the side, are almost the same. The difference is the position of the microSD slot, which is moved to the left side in WM1ZM2 / WM1AM2. Also, the charging / data connection terminal on the bottom is also a USB C terminal. The headphone jack hasn't changed from the 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm stereo mini unbalanced jacks, and it's the same as the one on the top.

left side. Both have a hold switch, but the shape of the button has changed. Also, the WM1ZM2 on the left has a microSD slot.

right side. The operation buttons are lined up here, and the size etc. are different, but the number and type of buttons are the same.

Top surface. Both have 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm stereo mini unbalanced terminals.

Bottom. Since the microSD slot has moved to the left side of the WM1ZM2 on the left, only the USB C terminal is placed. The WM1Z on the right also has a hole for a strap

Not only the chassis but also the parts used have changed significantly. Polished the sound quality​

From here, we will explain the circuit design for high-quality sound and the adoption of high-quality sound parts. It has already been introduced in detail in the news at the time of the announcement, so here I will focus on what has changed and what has not changed.
Sony's new Walkman, WM port to USB-C. Higher sound quality for music distribution
Since it is equipped with Android OS, the board is naturally renewed. As a digital technology, the "DSD mastering engine" was installed for the first time on the Walkman. It is a technology that converts all PCM sound sources into signals equivalent to DSD 11.2MHz and processes them. This is a technology installed in the super-class large player "DMP-Z1", but in DMP-Z1, it is converted to DSD 5.6MHz and processed, and it is converted to DSD 11.2MHz. Of course, it can be turned on / off by setting, so you can use it according to your preference.

Internal board
And it is equipped with "DSEE Ultimate" that upscales compressed sound sources and CD quality sound sources to the equivalent of high resolution. It is the latest specification that analyzes music in real time by AI technology and performs optimum upscale. Upscale seems to be equivalent to 192kHz / 32bit at maximum. In this way, the latest digital technology is incorporated.
On the other hand, the basic design of the audio circuit is followed, such as adopting the S-MASTER HX for the digital amplifier. Based on the basic design, the sound quality is refined by strengthening the power supply, optimizing the clock, and optimizing the signal line. I'm surprised that a cylindrical capacitor with legs (high-capacity solid polymer capacitor) like that used in the stationary model is used, but the sound quality is excellent, such as adopting FTCAP3 for all the bypass capacitors of the power supply. I'm using the parts in luxury. Of course, not only high-quality sound parts are used, but all are custom-designed with particular attention to materials and internal structure.

The digital amplifier "S-MASTER HX" can be seen in the center.
A gold-deposited ultra-low phase noise crystal oscillator is used to optimize the clock. There is a model that adopts a low jitter type as a crystal oscillator, but in WM1ZM2 / WM1AM2, it is said that the ultra-low phase noise type was selected as a result of selecting for sound quality. It seems that gold vapor deposition is originally for a long life, but when I listened to it, the sound quality was good, so I adopted it.
For audio line optimization, gold-added high-quality solder is used. Until now, high-quality solder was used only for the parts that were manually soldered, but high-quality solder was used for all the parts that were soldered by machine. Since the contacts of all parts are made of high-quality solder, the sound quality effect seems to be quite large.
And this is only WM1ZM2, but the wiring from the amplifier circuit to the balanced output terminal is an audio cable jointly developed with Kimber. The appearance of a thick cable lying on a densely mounted board is also strange. In addition, an OFC cable is used for the battery power cable to reduce impedance, and the circuit board has a Filled Via structure, inheriting the conventional high-quality sound design.

Kimber's extra-thick cable lies on the board
As for the chassis, WM1ZM2 is made by cutting oxygen-free copper and plated with gold, and WM1AM2 is made by cutting aluminum. These are the same for the conventional model, but the WM1ZM2 uses 99.99% pure copper. Since 4 9 (Nine) continues, it is also expressed as 4N copper. By the way, the copper of the chassis of WM1Z is 99.96% pure. Although the difference in purity was only 0.03%, it seems that there was a big difference in sound quality, and it seems that copper with high purity was adopted by force even though it was not suitable for cutting because it was soft. Including the rear cover, which newly uses aluminum material, the chassis has been promoted to lower resistance to further improve sound quality.

The housing of WM1ZM2 is made by cutting oxygen-free copper and plating it with gold.

WM1AM2 cuts aluminum
In addition, the digital signal block and audio block for Android OS etc. are separated at the top and bottom of the board, and the layout is carefully designed so that they are not affected by each other's noise. There is also know-how in the ZX series and A series in this area, and it is said that the installation of Android OS has almost no effect on sound quality. Moreover, the digital signal block is equipped with a machined copper cover, which contributes not only to noise shielding but also to lowering the resistance of the ground potential.

A machined copper cover is attached to the digital signal block.
Looking at such thorough construction, it can be seen that not only has the Android OS been installed and other high-tech has progressed, but also analog-like high-quality sound has been carefully implemented. I think that it is made only by the top series, but considering that the WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2 are basically the same design, although the material of the chassis and some parts used are different, the price is less than half. There is a feeling that the cost performance of WM1AM2 is surprisingly high.
The battery capacity is also expanding as the body size increases. As a result, continuous playback on a wired connection was 40 hours (during MP3 playback), compared to 33 hours for NW-WM1A / WM1A. Even the playback of FLAC's 96kHz / 24bit sound source has expanded from 30 hours to 40 hours. 20 hours (MP3 playback, SBC connection), 18 hours (FLAC 96kHz / 24bit playback, LDAC connection) when connected via Bluetooth.

Round 1: New and old WM1A showdown​

From the left, NW-WM1AM2, NW-WM1A
Let's listen to it. First, let's compare NW-WM1A and NW-WM1AM2. The sound source uses "Hikaru Utada / BAD mode", and the FLAC 96kHz / 24bit sound source is transferred to each built-in memory for listening. The earphone used for audition was the technics "EAH-TZ700" I had, and I used the attached cable for 3.5mm unbalance and the connection cable made by ONSO for 4.4mm balance.
First, I listened to WM1A with an unbalanced connection. It's been a while since I heard it, but it's a powerful sound. The sound is grainy and the vocals are clear. The rhythm feels a little light, but it sounds firmly. It has a well-balanced sound, such as a good spread of sound and a lightly bouncing melody.
If you change this to a balanced connection, the spread of the sound will be richer and the bass will be more powerful. Rather than being dynamic, it sounds better and more precise. It sounds a little elegant and calm, but the reproducibility of each sound and the nuances of the voice are solid.

NW-WM1AM2
If you switch to the NW-WM1AM2, the first thing you will notice with an unbalanced connection is the increase in sound density and energy. The basic sound quality tends to be similar, such as reproducing vocals and accompaniment in an orderly and grainy manner, but each sound has a lively feeling and bounces vividly. Because of that, I feel that the way it sounds as music has changed a lot. The goodness of the singing voice with a muttering exquisite sense of rhythm is often seen. The impression is that the sound field is a little bigger, and there is a sense of depth in addition to the spread to the left and right. There is a feeling that the melody with a sense of siege in the interlude is also wrapped.
With a balanced connection, the drums and bass that bounce well extend even further to the low end, giving a sense of strength and dynamism. Not only the momentum of the attack, but also the afterglow and sound of the sound are beautiful. The vocal tension also comes out firmly. By giving a sense of power to each sound, the reproduction with good graininess stands out even more, and it becomes a three-dimensional stage in good harmony with the expanse of space. Unlike the out-of-head localization, the sound field does not extend to the outside of the head, but even though it is in-head localization, the expansion of the sound field is really natural and there is something close to the feeling of speaker reproduction in a good quality room.
I don't really emphasize the model change for the first time in five years, but I feel that it is a sound that has clearly made great progress. The amount of information, the extension of bass, the feeling of power, and the feeling of stereo are also enhanced, but the clear sound image is thickened, and the feeling of the voice from a raw human being is felt, and the total music. I feel that the lively sound of the music has changed significantly.
When I first listened to the WM1AM2, I vaguely felt that it sounded quite excellent as a player for about 200,000 yen, but I was surprised again that the actual sale was 160,000 yen after checking the price. Even if it's about the same as the base and the WM1ZM2, it's pretty good, and it's hard to say that it's incredible at this price point.

Second round: old and new WM1Z showdown​

From the left, NW-WM1Z, NW-WM1ZM2
This time, a comparison between NW-WM1Z and NW-WM1ZM2. As for the sound source, I listened to "One Last Kiss" from "Hikaru Utada / BAD Mode".
Let's listen from NW-WM1Z. The earphones used are the same as before. Based on the clear and crisp sound, each sound is drawn more precisely, giving an orderly impression.
However, the way it sounds is gentle and elegant. It is very quiet, including the goodness of SN, and it feels like you are watching a still image with extremely high resolution. With a balanced connection, the sound is even better, the harmony between vocals and chorus is beautiful, and the sound field is wide enough. There is a sense of bass power, and you can see that the bass is sounding properly up to the scale. Beyond the range of portable players, it makes you feel the high quality sound like HiFi audio.

NW-WM1ZM2
If you change to WM1ZM2, you can see that the drums are not bass but the rhythm is good. The texture and detailed depiction of the voice do not change much, but it feels like you are really singing rather than a beautiful singing voice. Hikaru Utada seems to be an exquisitely weak singing style, and the melodious and rhythmic singing style is attractive, but while listening to that rhythmic feeling, my body also moves according to the rhythm. The way it sounds lively is very different.
Another attraction is the wide sound field. The WM1Z also has excellent sound field expansion, but individual sound images tend to be buried in the sound field, or after the WM1ZM2, it looks like a flat plate with an image projected on the screen. In WM1ZM2, each sound image is thick, and it feels like vocals and accompaniment are actually there on the stage. I think the density of individual sounds is increasing. Therefore, not only is the sound field wide, but it also has a three-dimensional effect, and the sound stage is almost like watching a live stage.
The sense of rhythm as the way the sound sounds and the sense of substance of the sound image may express the same thing in different words, but although the tendency as the tone color is the same, the still image and the video are compared. It sounds like something completely different. I can see again that this is the most advanced point common to WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2.
Perhaps, if you divide the various elements of the sound such as the SN feeling and the reproduction of the tone into small pieces and compare them, the sound is arranged so that you may think that the WM1Z is superior in many places. However, the sense of dynamism as music and the sense of fulfillment of listening to music are not enough. I personally like songs that are magnificent and powerful as music, and sometimes I want the playback equipment to have that kind of dynamic expressiveness, but the dynamic sound of the WM1ZM2 fits my taste perfectly, and the music. I felt that the sound was responsive, including the feeling of fullness when I listened to it.
In this way, the evolution of the sound of WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 is a lively and lively sound, and the sound field feeling is even better, so there is a feeling of being wrapped in a real sound. It turns out that both are evolving in the same direction, although it is natural because they are siblings.

Third round: WM1AM2 vs. WM1ZM2​

WM1AM2 vs. WM1ZM2
So what's the difference between the new WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2? There is a considerable price difference between about 400,000 yen and about 160,000 yen, but the circuit technology is almost the same, and the basic sound tendency is also quite close. So what is the difference in sound? The song I listened to was "Fine Love", the EAH-TZ700 was listened to with a balanced connection, and the Sennheiser "HD 800" and the cross zone "CZ-8A" were also listened to with an unbalanced connection.
First of all, I compared listening with EAH-TZ700, but WM1AM2 has a strong sense of rhythm, and Hikaru Utada's English singing is also rhythmic. The sound localization is clear and the expression is good. It's a moist sound, but it doesn't become static, and the tension of the voice and the nuances of strength and weakness often appear. The size of the sound field is also quite excellent.
If this is changed to WM1ZM2, the expansion of the sound field will be even larger. The impression that the sound is heard in the head, which is peculiar to headphones, disappears completely. The impression is that the resolution of the sound field has increased rather than the spread being large. Of course, the resolution of the sound image is also high, and the texture of the voice and the way the bass and drums sound become more precise and dynamic.
This time it's Sennheiser HD800 (unbalanced connection). It's already a fairly old model, but it's still often used as a representative of high-impedance hard-to-sound headphones. It's also attractive enough in terms of sound quality. I tried to play it with WM1AM2, but the volume is 100/120, which is close to full throttle, but it sounds enough. You can also select a high gain output in the settings, so it will be sufficient as a driving force.
In recent ultra-luxury players, there are many models that are particular about amplifier output, and compared to them, the output is 250mW + 250mW (balanced connection, high gain output) for both WMI1AM2 and WM1ZM2, but it is a "amazingly large output". is not it. Of course, I understand that there is a need for higher output when considering using it as a stationary player, which is also a usage required for ultra-luxury players, and using it for car audio. Sony probably has enough output to make the headphones sound. In fact, it's enough to drive headphones.
The light and voluminous bass that is typical of the HD 800 is firmly braked, and the sharpness of the driving rhythm does not loosen. The beauty of the facial expression of the voice is also wonderful, and it has the reproducibility to fully enjoy the singing ability of Hikaru Utada. High voice growth and smooth tongue are all good. When this becomes WM1ZM2, it will sound even more generously. Although the output is the same, the power to drive more firmly comes out. The voice becomes clearer and the singing voice is really vivid with the richness of nuances. The difference from WM1AM2 is the vividness of the sound. There is a feeling of getting closer to the raw sound.
The last is the cross zone CZ-8A (unbalanced connection). Of course, the attention here is the reproduction of the rich sound field of out-of-head localization. Even with the open HD 800, the image of the sound field was sufficiently three-dimensional, but how can you enjoy the richness of the sound field? The CZ-8A is also a headphone that requires an amplifier with a certain amount of driving power, although it is not as good as the HD 800, and the volume was 100/120. Rhythm with a lot of volume from the original sound becomes a little tight, and there is also a sound with excellent instantaneous power, and it sounds light, but this is the sound quality tendency of CZ-8A itself. The WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 amplifiers are excellent enough to bring out the sound of the headphones themselves.
In WM1AM2, a light rhythm sounds crisply, and the stage of the sound spreads in front of you. The vocals that float in front of you are also well localized. In CZ-8A, the localization of vocals comes to mind in front of you, but the sound image may be diluted. However, in WM1AM2, the sound image is also thick, and it feels like Hikaru Utada is singing right in front of you. The singing voice itself is rich in nuances. The sense of distance from the band performance that spreads around is firmly reproduced, and it sounds like watching a live stage in the front row.
When it comes to WM1ZM2, the tight bass becomes even more powerful. In this area, I feel that the WM1ZM2 has a higher driving force that does not appear in the numerical values. The center of gravity of the music has dropped sharply, and the vividness of the music has increased. The richness of the facial expression of the voice is basically the same, but the power of the strong voice is more firmly expressed, and it is more dynamic. In addition, the sound field is not only spacious and surrounded, but also has a solid depth, making it more three-dimensional. Even in such a spacious sound field, the sound image does not fade, but rather each sound is felt more vividly. The tone and texture are more realistic, and I was able to realize that the resolution of the sound field has increased.
Comparing the WM1AM2 and the WM1ZM2, the WM1ZM2, which has the same tendency but produces a more detailed and more dynamic sound, was able to clearly feel the difference in ability. However, I do not feel the overwhelming difference that I felt when comparing WM1A and WM1AM2, although they have the same tendency but feel like different things. The problem with high-end audio is that the price difference is more than doubled, so the difference in sound quality is more than doubled. It can be said that the cost performance of the WM1A is extraordinarily excellent, and although it is slight, the price difference is due to the expressive power of the WM1ZM2 that gives the "feeling that the resolution of the sound field has increased" as I felt in this audition. I think that the way of receiving or finding the value of is different depending on the person.

Carefully test your ability as a Streaming Walkman​

The audition continues. This time I checked the sound quality of the streaming service. The audition here is mainly for NW-WM1ZM2. This is because I felt that the WM1ZM2, which has a certain difference in the total amount of information, is easier to understand the difference in sound quality and deterioration of the SN feeling via the network.
Since it uses Android OS, you can easily play streaming music by adding an application, but some preparation is required. First, turn on high resolution streaming in the settings. If this is not done, even if a high-resolution sound source is played by streaming music playback, the sound quality will be equivalent to that of a CD. Switching high-resolution streaming on / off requires an OS restart, which consumes a lot of battery power. I think many people use it on, but let's remember it.

"Sound" item in Android settings. There is also a switch to high gain output

Turn on "Use high resolution streaming" at the end of the "Sound" item
The music service used "Amazon Music HD", and there was also "Hikaru Utada / BAD mode", so I listened to it. I listened to "Beautiful World (Da Capo Version)", but when I tap the "HR" badge above the title, the quality of the sound source, the playback quality on the device, and the playback quality at the time of output are displayed. If you turn on high resolution streaming, you can confirm that both are properly played at 96kHz / 24bit.

Playing "Hikaru Utada / BAD Mode" on Amazon Music HD

I checked the playback quality. It can be confirmed that both the device and output are 96kHz / 24bit, which is the same as the quality of the sound source.
When I listen to it, there is a slight difference from the FLAC 96kHz / 24bit sound source saved in the main memory, the space expansion seems to be a little smaller, and the attack momentum and power feeling are a little weak. However, it can be said that the sound quality that I usually listen to on Amazon Music HD is more than enough, and although there is a slight difference in sound quality due to streaming playback via the network, it is by no means signal processing or noise countermeasures with WM1ZM2. It's not bad. Actually, I tried listening by connecting the unbalanced output to the preamplifier in the stereo playback environment at home, but it has the ability to approach a little stationary network player.
The breadth and depth of the sound field can be felt even when playing through speakers, and there is no problem that the sound is distorted by the song because the volume is maximized. If you listen with headphones, you can understand the texture and amount of information that is typical of high-resolution audio, including the sound field. The expression of the voice is also enough. Rather, many people will be impressed that the sound quality of the streaming sound source has improved considerably.
Since it's Amazon Music HD, I decided to try spatial audio as well. Spatial audio includes "360 Reality Audio" and "Dolby Atmos" sound sources, but both WM1AM2 / WM1ZM2 support 360 Reality Audio. When I tried it, it also supported Dolby Atmos.
For 360 Reality Audio, I listened to "YOASOBI / Running at night", but the three-dimensional sound arrangement that seems to be spatial audio is beautifully reproduced, the localization of the sound behind is clear, and the sound field that seems to be wrapped is comfortable. You can enjoy it. As with surround playback, the reproducibility of devices that use spatial audio increases at once, but the playback of WM1ZM2 is quite satisfying. I also tried it on the WM1AM2, but the reproducibility as spatial audio is also excellent enough, except for the absolute difference in sound quality.

Playback quality display when playing a 360 Reality Audio sound source. Corresponds firmly
I listened to "Billie Eilish / Bad Guy" on the Dolby Atmos sound source, but it also has a sense of space that is properly wrapped. You can clearly see that the localization is changed by singing voice and tweet, and the production is different from the stereo sound source. Surround sound is fun, but the atmosphere of being there and the feeling of being surrounded by music are fun. It's different from the goodness of stereo playback, which makes you feel like you are facing the music carefully, but I feel that it is a new way to enjoy music for the author who is accustomed to surround playback. It can be said that the WM1AM2 / WM1ZM2 is very attractive because it can quickly respond to such new music enjoyment and new services, and can be enjoyed with high sound quality.

When playing a Dolby Atmos sound source. Details are unknown as there is no official announcement, but it also supports Dolby Atmos playback

There is no doubt that it will be a remarkable model in the high-end player area. I'm worried about which one to choose​

As mentioned at the beginning, the popularity of headphones and earphones has led to the appearance of high-end players one after another, but the long-awaited top-of-the-line Walkman model was as expected, and I personally personally liked it. I'm really worried because it was a change in the matching sound.
However, the models of each company are all models with attractive sounds that make you think "this is it!", And it is quite difficult to choose one. It can be said that the time when I'm wondering which one to choose is the most fun, so I think I'll keep wondering for the time being. But before that, I might start working on the NW-WM1AM2 because of its practicality and cost performance.
I hope that all readers will have a good time with all their headaches, such as listening to and comparing with rival models now that the release is imminent.

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #985 of 15,684
Greetings my friends!

I found an unboxing and review video of WM1zM2 and WM1aM2, which covers lots of details. For example, the streaming function and LDAC.
Hope it could provide you useful information.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #987 of 15,684
It's merely of matter of is 2000 price difference worth it to you. There will be differences for sure but at the same time, it won't be huge.

there is a sort of loose budget. it's more like extracting the best bang for buck. one thing against the 1Z might be the weight. the older model is already heavy...
let's see what Sony does for promo here. they tend to have some discount for new models. i picked up the ZX-507 for a really good price when they launched here.

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #988 of 15,684
there is a sort of loose budget. it's more like extracting the best bang for buck. one thing against the 1Z might be the weight. the older model is already heavy...
let's see what Sony does for promo here. they tend to have some discount for new models. i picked up the ZX-507 for a really good price when they launched here.
Either 1Z is never gonna be best bang for budget, that will always be the 1A

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #989 of 15,684
I like oranges it make the music to sound better, apples are kinda sour and cold.
If we thinker this for a second. Sony's next gear release should be a new pair of headphones and a new taz successor with third gen sony capacitors. Now thats gonna be a bad ass S-Master device!

Dmp has akm dac to me it will never be an ultimate true sony sound house. I only want s-master!

Also I believe the new 1a m2 is the golden dap, 1z alters the sound a lot. Yes its musical and harmonically beautiful yet it is not the native pure sound of the recording. The fir generation of 1a had a drawback vs 1z due to less capacitors. Not anymore! So sony offering us one darn deal here half the cost of 1z with even performance, it is just a matter of tuning preference now.

Bro I am sorry but this is the area where you need Tiger Ears hehe, to be able to hear such subtleties you need very good gear and ears 😅😛

Tiger 🐅
Bur you know, once you try the DMP-Z1 all other DAPs are sweet little jokes 😌

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #990 of 15,684
Bur you know, once you try the DMP-Z1 all other DAPs are sweet little jokes 😌
To me the DMP is not a dap and can’t be compared, it’s a transportable desk top rig, so I would always expect it to win on performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back