SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 12, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #4,126 of 15,554
I don't know the legal background for DOAs in Singapore. At least in many countries your contract/sales partner is allowed to make several repair attempts before handing out a replacement unit. And for sure, repairing is more likely the higher the product's price 😉. That's one reason for me to buy online which often gives more legal rights to the customer.
But... do you know the S/N of your DOA unit? If so, check it with the new one. You may be surprised. Since, "repair" isn't always what you expect it to be 😉.
This why I always enquire about the DOA and repair process. If the vendor is only willing to repair I simply walk away. Others will replace a DOA device ensuring customer satisfaction. In this case it's very disappointing for the member that it's Sony's official distributor :frowning2: Personally I'd reach out to Sony Global to express my concerns and ask for an appropriate solution i.e. a new device...

This approach has always worked for me up to an including replacing a vehicle with a failed engine when the local distributor wanted to only effect a repair. The originator in Japan thought very differently and wanted the vehicle back ASAP to establish exactly why the engine failed (safety and all). Distributer initially said absolutely no, less than 24 hours of contacting Japan they were calling me to discuss delivery of a new replacement within 7 days. Most companies want to make a good product and value their reputation, distributers just want to sell volume...

FYI it's not my issue, just commenting on Sony Singapore's poor handling of the situation.

Q-6

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #4,127 of 15,554
Luck of the draw; in this case Sony Singapore is clearly out of pace with the customer and should be avoided. In time reputable venders will have stock with a more customer friendly approach with a guaranteed replacement for DOA out the box.

If people continue to support poor customer service it's unlikely to improve as said company has no incentive to do so. If anything Sony Global should be asking why the customer was presented with such a poor solution. In my experience reaching out to the originator of the product will get the right results, as they see the bigger picture and don't want the brand tarnished due to poor local management decisions.

Q-6
Reputation already tarnish when we share info on forum here.

I believe if we escalate this situation to japan sony directly, it will improve the service standard in sony singapore.

May 12, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #4,128 of 15,554
Got some update from them after sending the feedback form, they mentioned repair is completed and now they are doing some testing and will be ready in the next 2-3 working days. No replacement, just repair. Guess I’m their lab rat for their technician to do the repair.

By the way, they totally ignore my asking about getting 1-1 exchange, totally dodge my question. 😡
How abt escalate the case to sony japan directly?

May 12, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #4,129 of 15,554
This doesn’t bode well, just pre-ordered the WM1AM2 from Sony Singapore
3344A04F-829D-459A-B6CA-A0DBCD85BEEA.jpeg
3F9B07E8-FE7C-47AB-86BF-73D54A378275.jpeg

May 12, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #4,130 of 15,554
This doesn’t bode well, just pre-ordered the WM1AM2 from Sony Singapore
3344A04F-829D-459A-B6CA-A0DBCD85BEEA.jpeg
3F9B07E8-FE7C-47AB-86BF-73D54A378275.jpeg
Personally I'd want to establish the T&C's and if Sony Singapore is not willing to replace a DOA device, I'd wait until a more reputable vendor can. Likely there will be no issue, equally if you get caught up in such a mess you wont be happy by any means.

Q-6

May 12, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #4,131 of 15,554

I believe if we escalate this situation to japan sony directly, it will improve the service standard in sony singapore.
I seriously doubt Sony wants such negative comment towards it's new Signature line up, as it's hardly a good start...

Q-6

May 12, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #4,133 of 15,554
They should indicate ' free repair if u got DOA unit ' on the poster if thats their direction.
No they should replace as it's important from a quality perspective to return the defective device to the originator to evaluate the failure and prevent reoccurrence. Likely Sony Singapore is just a distributor and looks for the cheapest option versus the bigger picture of long-term customer satisfaction & reliability.

Q-6

May 12, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #4,134 of 15,554
No they should replace as it's important from a quality perspective to return the defective device to the originator to evaluate the failure and prevent reoccurrence. Likely Sony Singapore is just a distributor and looks for the cheapest option versus the bigger picture of long-term customer satisfaction & reliability.

Q-6

basically there is a Consumer Proctection law in place, isn't there? it is up to the consumer to agree with the vendor for repair, replace or refund. he needs to know what the law offers him and state upfront at that time. blaming Sony SG only when he only gave sketchy details is confirmation bias. "Sony SG" probably might be a front for vendor company that Sony has contracted anyway.

May 12, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #4,135 of 15,554
basically there is a Consumer Proctection law in place, isn't there? it is up to the consumer to agree with the vendor for repair, replace or refund. he needs to know what the law offers him and state upfront at that time. blaming Sony SG only when he only gave sketchy details is confirmation bias. "Sony SG" probably might be a front for vendor company that Sony has contracted anyway.
This is why I always ask the T&C's upfront to avoid getting burnt, if they don't replace DOA I look elsewhere as to me that's an instant red light...

Q-6

May 12, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #4,136 of 15,554

That’s what I was thinking too but I have no clue what’s the channel? And I believe Sony Singapore will try very hard to cover this up and won’t let it goes up to corporate since this will have an impact on them. I work form another big Japanese MNC so I know we’ll how the Japanese company system works.

May 12, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #4,137 of 15,554
That’s what I was thinking too but I have no clue what’s the channel? And I believe Sony Singapore will try very hard to cover this up and won’t let it goes up to corporate since this will have an impact on them. I work form another big Japanese MNC so I know we’ll how the Japanese company system works.
Well, to be honest, I'd rather wait for the device you'll get in a few days, before trying to escalate. Then you know the facts. There is a chance that no one actually repaired the DOA unit 😉

May 12, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #4,140 of 15,554
Got some update from them after sending the feedback form, they mentioned repair is completed and now they are doing some testing and will be ready in the next 2-3 working days. No replacement, just repair. Guess I’m their lab rat for their technician to do the repair.

By the way, they totally ignore my asking about getting 1-1 exchange, totally dodge my question. 😡
Another update. They just called me and now I know why Sony Singapore doesn’t seem to care much about their reputation, as it turns out the whole customer service as well as the repair center are not actually running by Sony themselves, it’s all outsourced. Knowing this, it seems that Sony is very well showing that service is something they have already given up.

Anyway, I asked about 1-1 exchange, they have the audacity to actually told me their exchange policy is 7 days after the date of purchase!!! It’s a product that has 2-3 months wait time from preorder date which would mean they are actually won’t be giving away any 1-1 exchange!! I told them mines is preorder, of course, it’s out of their bloody 1-1 exchange policy!! They told me they will try to expedite the post repair testing for me. And I asked for them to reset my warranty to start from the date of my collection, they said they need to check with Sony!!

Gosh!! One lemon with Sony left the worst sour taste in my mouth.

I actually own many totl DAP from the like of AK (SP2000), FiiO (M17), Hiby (R8), iBasso (300MAX) etc, I never have any issues with the set and the one I had issue once (besides this bloody 1ZM2) was with the AK SP2000, AK happily did brand new 1-1 exchange for me in a week even though it wasn’t a DOA case (it was 7 months into its life). So, I guess Sony focus isn’t much on their audio anymore since their camera and ps5 are their cash cow, so you get this crappy support for their totl DAP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back