SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 11, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #4,096 of 15,673
You can still use the Wm1A M1 as USB DAC for a smartphone when needed for lossless 24/192 or DSD... but on the way, I am not sure 24/96 vs 24/192 is as critical as it can maybe be for some at home with an high end DAC / Amp / Headphone.

As I don't think the EU version of the WM1ZM2 will be uncapped, I decided to go the way to mod my WM1A by nayparm and use my smartphone for Qobuz and Home Streaming via LDAC to a Vision Ears EXT... I got this yesterday back from NPAudio, the 10 first hours of listening with such combo are nothing less than very interesting compared to my FIIO M17.
Are you saying the modded wm1a sounds better than fiio m17?

May 11, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #4,097 of 15,673
This is why I prefer to physically purchase complex electronics (expensive) although I know that's not possible for all. I always verify any return window and or actions on DOA/faulty, if the vender is not willing to replace within a reasonable timeframe then I look for another source who will or simply wait. From my experience across Asia many venders will literally insist that you open & try on site to be assured both parties are satisfied.

Pity in this case Sony Singapore wasn't as accommodating to it's customers :frowning2: In this case the member (@hstnasi) should be offered a full refund or a new unit at Sony's cost. A repair is not appropriate as the unit should be retuned to Sony to fully understand the issue and prevent reoccurrence. Overall pretty poor customer service on Sony's behalf for a top of the line player with a not inconsiderable cost...

WM1AM2/WM1ZM2 are new products on a new production line, so some QC issues are expected. That said it's disappointing that Sony didn't anticipate such issue's and put additional process in place. Unless there's a burning need (I know LOL) best to let the dust settle and let Sony & factory work out the kinks.

Q-6
Well said. But sony singapore said they will not keep stock in shop in future for these model. So the only way is to pre-order. Thats why i have to bit the bullet.

May 11, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #4,098 of 15,673
Well said. But sony singapore said they will not keep stock in shop in future for these model. So the only way is to pre-order. Thats why i have to bit the bullet.
Yup, that’s the reason I originally go with preorder, Sony Singapore will only keep demo unit and order for this model would have to be online. But we’ll, I guess their QC is doing really a shuteye job. It’s a flagship product and yet they let loose the lemon.

May 11, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #4,099 of 15,673
Again I would like to point out that I don’t work for Sony previously or at present. Everything I got to know is from online materials or have been discovered on my own.

Sony may have said that they have done a lot of engineering to resolve the issues with Android and etc but that’s what they have said and not necessarily the final word on things.

All these tweaks and recommendations by me are additional steps that one can do to get even better sound quality and performance out of your Walkman:

Setting headphone device profile and doing earscan to take advantage of better spatial processing for selected 360RA certified Sony branded iems/headphones.

Usage of higher grade industrial microSD cards so as to further reduce EMI noise pollution on the Walkman electrical circuitry, thus allowing for even lower overall system jitter.

Formatting of microSD cards in the Walkman android os before usage and not through windows/macOS and not through SDA formatter tool.

disabling of non-essential bloatware apps and now to debloating the Walkman by completely uninstalling these non-essential bloatware apps.

Is it important to do the above steps? Well it’s completely optional. Stock Walkman sound quality and performance seems fine for many. Do as you please.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #4,100 of 15,673
Yup, that’s the reason I originally go with preorder, Sony Singapore will only keep demo unit and order for this model would have to be online. But we’ll, I guess their QC is doing really a shuteye job. It’s a flagship product and yet they let loose the lemon.
My experience with Sony Singapore is different. They replace my WH-1000XM3.
Did you purchase directly from Sony or from 3rd party?
Was told by Sony Singapore personnel that they only replace 1-1 within 7days if the unit was purchase directly from them.

May 11, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #4,101 of 15,673
Guys, I need some inputs regarding the battery life of the 1am2. I’m currently burning in my unit by running the wm player on repeat loop. I notice that on a full charge 88% (battery care charge mode), after abt 7 hrs, the battery drops to 6%. Is that normal?

According to Sony this is suppose to run at least 15-18hrs on a full charge. Thanks
If it is your first charge, it is normal.
I will usually disable battery care for initial 2-3 cycles.
I will also let the battery drop to about 5% for at least the first cycle.

Did you turn on the DSD?

May 11, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #4,102 of 15,673
Sony Singapore 313 service centre actually holds 5 sets of WM1AM2 new stock as direct replacement set. My friend 1AM2 Walkman had a premature death and was given a direct replacement stock. Not sure how many replacement sets are left or how it works for 1ZM2.

I guess the biggest issue is now we are living in extraordinary times with covid, Russia-Ukraine war, semiconductor and raw material shortage.

You can’t even buy a Sony higher end Walkman off the shelf at this point(unless you are very lucky to spot one wild Pokémon)

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #4,103 of 15,673
Sony Singapore 313 service centre actually holds 5 sets of WM1AM2 new stock as direct replacement set. My friend 1AM2 Walkman had a premature death and was given a direct replacement stock. Not sure how many replacement sets are left or how it works for 1ZM2.

I guess the biggest issue is now we are living in extraordinary times with covid, Russia-Ukraine war, semiconductor and raw material shortage.

You can’t even buy a Sony higher end Walkman off the shelf at this point(unless you are very lucky to spot one wild Pokémon)
"Premature death" of a M2?

Did anyone here experience a failure of either their 1A or 1Z M1s?

Curious....

May 11, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #4,104 of 15,673
Have you left wifi switched on and/or using some kind of DSP like dsd remastering or dsee ultimate?
Yes. Both the wifi and DSD remastering is on. Sony webby mentioned the following with regards to DSD playback “Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 35 hrs, DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 25 hrs, DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 15 hrs, DSD (5.6448MHz / 1bit)”

Do they mean raw DSD files? Anyway I’ll try tonight with wifi and DSD remastering off, see if play time increases

May 11, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #4,105 of 15,673
Father meets Son Part 3 (The technical stuffs and Android)

DSC_0207.JPG
DSC_0208.JPG

The battery drops quite fast if you leave the display on while listening to music. I noticed 1% per track if I had the screen on. The interface still was not as snappy as even my old Galaxy Note9 which I use as a spare phone.

As for the USB DAC function, I tried to be a fancy pants and connect one gold to the other gold to test it but it couldn't read so I was stumped.

Additionally, as seen in the second picture, someone already dropped it and there is already a dent. Copper is very soft, coating it in gold was for aesthetics rather than anything else regardless of what Sony says. PLEASE TREAT YOUR LOCAL STORE'S DEMO UNIT WITH CARE, IT'S NOT YOURS UNTIL YOU BUY IT!
You can’t connect it that way, you will need the OTG type C to feed the M2 data music to M1

Or you will need WM port with OTG function in order to feed data music to M2

May 11, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #4,106 of 15,673
My experience with Sony Singapore is different. They replace my WH-1000XM3.
Did you purchase directly from Sony or from 3rd party?
Was told by Sony Singapore personnel that they only replace 1-1 within 7days if the unit was purchase directly from them.
I believe they do have plenty of the 1000XM3 to go around to do exchange but not this WM1ZM2. I went down to their service center one the day 1 of my receipt of the preorder, they don’t even have their own demo unit to do the comparison test.

May 11, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #4,108 of 15,673
"Premature death" of a M2?

Did anyone here experience a failure of either their 1A or 1Z M1s?

Curious....
Manufacturing of electronics isn’t as perfect as you would think it is. All electronics follow a bathtub curve in terms of failure rates.

Reliability-mtbf1.gif

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/pas...-we-think-we-know-what-we-mean-but-do-we/amp/

May 11, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #4,109 of 15,673
U mean u it was delivered to your house spoilt? And u did not request a replacement next day? How can Sony even suggest repairing option, it's unreasonable sending a fault product over.

I wonder what sort of standard Sony Singapore management is showing to the world. In this era, any news can be share on the internet and be negative publicity.

Thks for sharing, guess I will do inspection of my player at the Sony center (with present 0f Sony staff) during collection, before I sign off.
Yup, I received my unit at home and upon opening it, the 4.4mm Jack doesn’t give out any sounds, I try it with several IEMs and cables, 99% doesn’t work so I brought down to Sony service center the next day. Initially they want to do some comparison with their demo unit, but unfortunately they don’t even have the demo unit available at their own flagship store.

May 11, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #4,110 of 15,673
Personally I'd demand a refund as I find it unacceptable that a new device at this price point has to be sent for repair straight out the box. Worse still with an open ended completion date. If Sony doesn't have the basic support infrastructure in place then they should have delayed the launch of the players

Q-6
Unfortunately, I don’t think refund is an option for consumer in Singapore as there’s this T&C that mentioned in all sales transactions goods sold are non returnable nor refundable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back