SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 11, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #4,081 of 15,672
Guys, I need some inputs regarding the battery life of the 1am2. I’m currently burning in my unit by running the wm player on repeat loop. I notice that on a full charge 88% (battery care charge mode), after abt 7 hrs, the battery drops to 6%. Is that normal?

According to Sony this is suppose to run at least 15-18hrs on a full charge. Thanks
I thought the new players had up to 40h battery life with the WM player? That said any of the DSP settings, wifi or BT will eat your battery for breakfast.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #4,083 of 15,672
Yes,

Shows v30.3.21 for open source, Device is not certified.

Does that lead to any limitation or future risk a Store update isn't guaranteed to work or something?
As a fellow member suggested, some app couldn't be downloaded from Play Store if your device is not certified.
But I think most, if not all, streaming services would not be affected (anyway I could only confirm for Apple Music, Amazon Music and Tidal as among the major ones only these three are available in my region)

The situation (being able to install apps using a sideloaded Play Store) had been existed for more than ten years, so I guess this will continue to work in near future.
Of course only Google will be able to tell if one day they will change their policy to block all uncertified devices.
If this would really happen, most streaming apps could still be sideloaded using third party sources. But then we will have the risk whether such sources are trustworthy.

May 11, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #4,084 of 15,672
Guys, I need some inputs regarding the battery life of the 1am2. I’m currently burning in my unit by running the wm player on repeat loop. I notice that on a full charge 88% (battery care charge mode), after abt 7 hrs, the battery drops to 6%. Is that normal?

According to Sony this is suppose to run at least 15-18hrs on a full charge. Thanks
Perhaps like other user suggested, you got a wifi on during the playback? I had my unit running the wm player with range of files from 44/24 to 192/24 with battery care charge mode, and I got about 28-29 hrs of playback with battery came down to around 5-7%. Also, IER-M9 was being plugged in during the playback as well if that helps.

May 11, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #4,085 of 15,672
In Denmark a seller can insist on repairing if they consider it an”undue hassle or expense” to replace even if the item is doa
I guess safest bet is to test brand new product at store before opening your wallet, in this case eager buyer like us who pre-order, will have to take the unnecessary risk.

I hope we are not guinea pig to test the production capability of china factory. One signature series of Sony item, doesnt seem so 'signature' after all, as made in china nowadays.

May 11, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #4,087 of 15,672

1. What’s the sound effect settings?
2. Turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Location services.
3. Disable or uninstall the bloatwares.
My experience:
Debloated, JP firmware, Wi-Fi OFF, Bluetooth OFF, Location OFF
DSEE ON, DC Phase ON, Vinyl ON, EQ OFF, DSD remastering OFF
4.4mm, High-gain ON, Vol 53, Walkman player
Under such case, the battery consumption is about 6% per hour.
When turning OFF the DSEE, it goes to about 2%~3% per hour.

May 11, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #4,088 of 15,672
Recommend an application called Brevent for controlling the background process and disabling the bloatwares.
This app could be found in Play Store.
The following features are useful:
1. Automatically kill the process after it is idle for some time.
2. Automatically enable/disable google play service when app relies on it is launched/closed.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #4,089 of 15,672
I guess safest bet is to test brand new product at store before opening your wallet, in this case eager buyer like us who pre-order, will have to take the unnecessary risk.

I hope we are not guinea pig to test the production capability of china factory. One signature series of Sony item, doesnt seem so 'signature' after all, as made in china nowadays.
This is why I prefer to physically purchase complex electronics (expensive) although I know that's not possible for all. I always verify any return window and or actions on DOA/faulty, if the vender is not willing to replace within a reasonable timeframe then I look for another source who will or simply wait. From my experience across Asia many venders will literally insist that you open & try on site to be assured both parties are satisfied.

Pity in this case Sony Singapore wasn't as accommodating to it's customers :frowning2: In this case the member (@hstnasi) should be offered a full refund or a new unit at Sony's cost. A repair is not appropriate as the unit should be retuned to Sony to fully understand the issue and prevent reoccurrence. Overall pretty poor customer service on Sony's behalf for a top of the line player with a not inconsiderable cost...

WM1AM2/WM1ZM2 are new products on a new production line, so some QC issues are expected. That said it's disappointing that Sony didn't anticipate such issue's and put additional process in place. Unless there's a burning need (I know LOL) best to let the dust settle and let Sony & factory work out the kinks.

Q-6

May 11, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #4,090 of 15,672
Recommend an application called Brevent for controlling the background process and disabling the bloatwares.
2. Automatically enable/disable google play service when app relies on it is launched/closed.
Those are not as good as using ABD to disable and uninstall them

May 11, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #4,091 of 15,672
Personally I'd just remove as much as possible or opt for the CN model without the bloat. Overall I just want my DAP's to serve one purpose and happy enough to manage my own music library. I do have one DAP that can stream on Open Android and while it does have it's benefits, not a priority...

Q-6

May 11, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #4,092 of 15,672
Those are not as good as using ABD to disable and uninstall them
Yep, better to remove completely or the OS will continuously attempt to reload and potentially burn more battery power.

Q-6

May 11, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #4,093 of 15,672
My first post here and more of a sharing of the experience of my brand spanking new WM1ZM2 which I pre-ordered back in February. I got my pre-order on 13-Apr and guess what, the 4.4mm Jack spoilt! I sent to Sony service center (I live in Singapore) on 14-Apr. And a month passed they still have not contacted me on the repair completion (what they gave me was “your repair will be completed from 11-May onwards”!!!! and they don’t seem to bother to give me any 1-to-1 replacement either. For a flagship product that costs a few good thousands dollars and this is what I ended up with, a lemon and a bad service that left a bad taste in my mouth. I also own the original WM1Z, no problem whatsoever for the passed years, their new flagship somehow has a very poor QC. Be careful if you think of buying this so called new Sony flagship.
Wow. That's pretty awful. I love the 1zM1 with @MrWalkman FW but have real issues with the PWM pulse width modulation screen tech they used (bad headaches , also in the iPhone 11 panels at the time- they quickly replaced due to torrent of complaints). Was even in contact with Sony WM team Mr Sato. But my enquiries were pretty quickly sidelined. Maybe because I work in the media the just closed ranks completely. Rather than investigate a solution. So with Sony, and surprisingly given its small dedicated historic team and enthusistic dedicated fan base, they prettymuch ignore everyone. And cash the cheque....You are not alone....

May 11, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #4,094 of 15,672
Not because gryphon is bad, i think i started with a sensitive iem. So i had to decide changing either 1 to get better music. I do hope the next ifi product can be more considerate for sensitive iem instead of hitting high power.

Thanks and, well, all I can say is that we're always up to something :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 11, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #4,095 of 15,672
Father meets Son Part 3 (The technical stuffs and Android)

DSC_0207.JPG
DSC_0208.JPG

The battery drops quite fast if you leave the display on while listening to music. I noticed 1% per track if I had the screen on. The interface still was not as snappy as even my old Galaxy Note9 which I use as a spare phone.

As for the USB DAC function, I tried to be a fancy pants and connect one gold to the other gold to test it but it couldn't read so I was stumped.

Additionally, as seen in the second picture, someone already dropped it and there is already a dent. Copper is very soft, coating it in gold was for aesthetics rather than anything else regardless of what Sony says. PLEASE TREAT YOUR LOCAL STORE'S DEMO UNIT WITH CARE, IT'S NOT YOURS UNTIL YOU BUY IT!
I wonder is it better to get gen 1a/z nayparm modded or to get the gen 2 device from a sound, value and durability perspective? 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back