SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 11, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #4,111 of 15,542
Sony Singapore 313 service centre actually holds 5 sets of WM1AM2 new stock as direct replacement set. My friend 1AM2 Walkman had a premature death and was given a direct replacement stock. Not sure how many replacement sets are left or how it works for 1ZM2.

I guess the biggest issue is now we are living in extraordinary times with covid, Russia-Ukraine war, semiconductor and raw material shortage.

You can’t even buy a Sony higher end Walkman off the shelf at this point(unless you are very lucky to spot one wild Pokémon)
Unfortunate mines is WM1ZM2 not WM1AM2, at the point when I went down to their 313 service center, they don’t even have a demo unit there to do the comparison test.

May 11, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #4,112 of 15,542
Unfortunate mines is WM1ZM2 not WM1AM2, at the point when I went down to their 313 service center, they don’t even have a demo unit there to do the comparison test.
Sony Singapore still has a lot of room for improvement. We are buying a (sgd)$4999 and $1899 premium product from
them and they don’t even bring in screen protector and cases for them. Really absurd I must say.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #4,113 of 15,542
Yes. Both the wifi and DSD remastering is on. Sony webby mentioned the following with regards to DSD playback “Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 35 hrs, DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 25 hrs, DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 15 hrs, DSD (5.6448MHz / 1bit)”

Do they mean raw DSD files? Anyway I’ll try tonight with wifi and DSD remastering off, see if play time increases
How many times have you cycle the battery?

Just try with Direct Source turn on.

May 11, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #4,116 of 15,542
Well said. But sony singapore said they will not keep stock in shop in future for these model. So the only way is to pre-order. Thats why i have to bit the bullet.
Then Sony Singapore needs to stand by the product not walk away and leave the customer in the dark with a broken device. Likely the vast majority of players will have no issue, however for those that do Sony needs to take responsibility and resolve the issue appropriately which is not an open-ended repair...

Q-6

May 11, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #4,117 of 15,542
Sony Singapore 313 service centre actually holds 5 sets of WM1AM2 new stock as direct replacement set. My friend 1AM2 Walkman had a premature death and was given a direct replacement stock. Not sure how many replacement sets are left or how it works for 1ZM2.

I guess the biggest issue is now we are living in extraordinary times with covid, Russia-Ukraine war, semiconductor and raw material shortage.

You can’t even buy a Sony higher end Walkman off the shelf at this point(unless you are very lucky to spot one wild Pokémon)
Too many excuses these days, if Sony is not capable of supporting the device they should not release it to the general public simple as that. Leaving paying customers with an open ended repair on a $3K+ DAP is very far from acceptable. Such devices need to be replaced one for one, more importantly to Sony investigated to establish the root cause of failure to prevent recurrence, not reworked locally.

Q-6

May 12, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #4,118 of 15,542
Manufacturing of electronics isn’t as perfect as you would think it is. All electronics follow a bathtub curve in terms of failure rates.

Reliability-mtbf1.gif

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/pas...-we-think-we-know-what-we-mean-but-do-we/amp/
Little simplistic, but not far off the mark. In general it's better to wait and let both the design & manufacturing teams work out the kinks. Unfortunately the early adopters take the greater risk, just the nature of the beast...

We live in an ever accelerating consumer society where devices/equipment are ever time limited when it could be manufactured to have a far longer lifespan and less negative impact on the earth.

Thx to Apple's SW team this machine now performs better than it did out the box over a decade ago.
Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 12.02.43.png
Case in point complex electronics can be manufactured with significant durability. Google Android devices have a limited lifecycle by design, similar to IOS devices to promote sales...

Q-6

May 12, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #4,120 of 15,542
Unfortunately, I don’t think refund is an option for consumer in Singapore as there’s this T&C that mentioned in all sales transactions goods sold are non returnable nor refundable.
Cant speak of Singapore, however I've lived and worked in Malaysia for a good number of years and always had a decent level of support from companies. I live in China now, when I bought my WM1A I asked about any return or failure window, the vendor stated that they would replace new for new inside 14 days and apply Sony's warrantee after that point. Same applied for the WM1Z, however the vender advised the 1Z would take 2-4 weeks to be replaced, which is fair.

Seems to me that Sony Singapore is playing by it's own rules and should be avoided, personally I'd reach out to Sony Japan/global and express your disappointment. WM1ZM2 is very much a premium product and the customer service should match the pricing...

Q-6

May 12, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #4,122 of 15,542
I have had many first gen products from different companies in a span of at least 20 years and have had no problems with them (for sure others have a different experience). Especially for apple products that are always blown out of proportion.
so its really just a fact first gen or not; there are some lemons that slip through quality check… this is where the company should stand by their product, first gen or not. Sure some products improve through time, definitely, but just saying being an early adopter isnt really all that bad as some make out to be, and even if you become unlucky, that’s where the company’s support and after sales service come into place. Definitely a broken device out of the box should be replaced.

May 12, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #4,123 of 15,542
My first post here and more of a sharing of the experience of my brand spanking new WM1ZM2 which I pre-ordered back in February. I got my pre-order on 13-Apr and guess what, the 4.4mm Jack spoilt! I sent to Sony service center (I live in Singapore) on 14-Apr. And a month passed they still have not contacted me on the repair completion (what they gave me was “your repair will be completed from 11-May onwards”!!!! and they don’t seem to bother to give me any 1-to-1 replacement either. For a flagship product that costs a few good thousands dollars and this is what I ended up with, a lemon and a bad service that left a bad taste in my mouth. I also own the original WM1Z, no problem whatsoever for the passed years, their new flagship somehow has a very poor QC. Be careful if you think of buying this so called new Sony flagship.
Got some update from them after sending the feedback form, they mentioned repair is completed and now they are doing some testing and will be ready in the next 2-3 working days. No replacement, just repair. Guess I’m their lab rat for their technician to do the repair.

By the way, they totally ignore my asking about getting 1-1 exchange, totally dodge my question. 😡

May 12, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #4,124 of 15,542
I have had many first gen products from different companies in a span of at least 20 years and have had no problems with them (for sure others have a different experience). Especially for apple products that are always blown out of proportion.
so its really just a fact first gen or not; there are some lemons that slip through quality check… this is where the company should stand by their product, first gen or not. Sure some products improve through time, definitely, but just saying being an early adopter isnt really all that bad as some make out to be, and even if you become unlucky, that’s where the company’s support and after sales service come into place. Definitely a broken device out of the box should be replaced.
Luck of the draw; in this case Sony Singapore is clearly out of pace with the customer and should be avoided. In time reputable venders will have stock with a more customer friendly approach with a guaranteed replacement for DOA out the box.

If people continue to support poor customer service it's unlikely to improve as said company has no incentive to do so. If anything Sony Global should be asking why the customer was presented with such a poor solution. In my experience reaching out to the originator of the product will get the right results, as they see the bigger picture and don't want the brand tarnished due to poor local management decisions.

Q-6

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #4,125 of 15,542
Luck of the draw; in this case Sony Singapore is clearly out of pace with the customer and should be avoided. In time reputable venders will have stock with a more customer friendly approach with a guaranteed replacement for DOA out the box.

If people continue to support poor customer service it's unlikely to improve as said company has no incentive to do so. If anything Sony Global should be asking why the customer was presented with such a poor solution. In my experience reaching out to the originator of the product will get the right results, as they see the bigger picture and don't want the brand tarnished due to poor local management decisions.

Q-6
I don't know the legal background for DOAs in Singapore. At least in many countries your contract/sales partner is allowed to make several repair attempts before handing out a replacement unit. And for sure, repairing is more likely the higher the product's price 😉. That's one reason for me to buy online which often gives more legal rights to the customer.
But... do you know the S/N of your DOA unit? If so, check it with the new one. You may be surprised. Since, "repair" isn't always what you expect it to be 😉.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back