SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #15,541 of 15,672
It drives them the same as my desktop amp. 80/120 on high gain for the 800 which is harder to drive than the 1000. Sound wise I prefer to use the 1Z because of DSEE.
My NW-WM1AM2/HD800S combo sounds so good it has me wondering if I need anything else. I listen at lower levels, 60-65/120 with 75/120 being my max. I don't use any processing.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #15,542 of 15,672
I don't think WM1ZM2 will drive your headphones to it's full potential, it just ain't powerful enough.
Even their own Sony Z1R iem, it will scale up even more when used with a proper amp not just the WM1ZM2 alone.
I trust my own ears over what people say on the internet. If there’s no clipping or loss of sound quality then they drive them perfectly. It doesn’t drive the IER-Z1R properly either? Lmao OK. Should I run them off of speaker taps for the “full potential?” If 4W isn’t enough for an IEM then obviously I’m not spending enough money. To answer your second question though it was the DDHiFi Max gold one because the finish matched the case better than the PW one.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #15,543 of 15,672
How do you use WM1AM2? By listening to the playlist sequentially with the screen off? or wirelessly and with the screen on?While listening to Apple music wirelessly, if the screen is on, the battery decreases at a terrible rate. For example, it decreases by 25-30% in 1 hour. This is a very rapid decrease. I turned off all Android features for this reason. My screen light is at 50%, but the battery does not last.
My Samsung Galaxy S21 lasts much longer for the same amount of time. It's very disturbing that Sony makes such a terrible battery.

Note: The wireless connection is off. The screen is off. If you listen to the songs in order, there is no problem. The battery lasts well. But if you turn them on and search for a song in the menu and download a song, the burning sun will quickly melt the ice cream!
All these have a major impact on battery life:
- Streaming
- DSP, EQ
- Hi-Res files (not as much as Streaming, DSP, EQ)

Try using Direct On, to get an idea of how much the DSP, EQ is impacting the battery. That will give you options for how to reduce battery consumption.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #15,544 of 15,672
With my local files I get around 35hrs avg with minimal screen usage like 5 min per hr, Direct On, high gain and volume around 35-40/120.
If I switch on DSP like DSEE Ultimate with EQ etc then it goes down to 17hr-18hrs in my case.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #15,545 of 15,672
The appeal of walkman for me are its dsp processing.
I always exclusively use either vinyl setting, dc phase or a combination of both.
To buy this and not use it is like getting an amazing house with a pool, and never go swimming in it.

Sony dsp allows me to listen at low volumes as it has the ability to change bass characteristics that allows for lower volume listening.

Knowing what I know now using 1AM2, I wish I bought ZM2.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #15,546 of 15,672
I always exclusively use either vinyl setting, dc phase or a combination of both.
To buy this and not use it is like getting an amazing house with a pool, and never go swimming in it.

Sony dsp allows me to listen at low volumes as it has the ability to change bass characteristics that allows for lower volume listening.

I always use it with DSEE ultimate. Tightens up the bass and gives some sparkle and air.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #15,547 of 15,672
I trust my own ears over what people say on the internet. If there’s no clipping or loss of sound quality then they drive them perfectly. It doesn’t drive the IER-Z1R properly either? Lmao OK. Should I run them off of speaker taps for the “full potential?” If 4W isn’t enough for an IEM then obviously I’m not spending enough money. To answer your second question though it was the DDHiFi Max gold one because the finish matched the case better than the PW one.
To me, it can drive those you mentioned but just not as optimized.
Trust me, I tried many gears as well too. With good amping, your above mentioned headphones will sounds even better than just running on WM1ZM2 alone.

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #15,548 of 15,672

True, I may be wasting the pool, but it's nice to know it's there. I bought it for the Mahogany in the library :)

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #15,549 of 15,672

I am the opposite. I am actually considering selling the 1ZM2 for a 1AM2 again. Just because it’s too heavy to take out of the house 😂. I’m too worried about dropping it since it’s pristine.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #15,550 of 15,672
I am the opposite. I am actually considering selling the 1ZM2 for a 1AM2 again. Just because it’s too heavy to take out of the house 😂. I’m too worried about dropping it since it’s pristine.
+1 considering selling 1ZM2 as well... either scopping first gen 1Z in time or 1AM2 again... ZX300 with MrWalkman FW satisfies my DAP tastes for travel + home evening in bed listening. Also love the straight forward Sony Linux opereating system. I do zero streaming on 1ZM2-exclusively music app. I wish Sony would release a straight in house OS Dap again...

Past few months been using IEMs on the desktop DAC+AMP combo which surprisingly works well without any hiss.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #15,551 of 15,672
So I been reading these forum for a bit (love the emotional drama :D) and went out to buy the WM1AM2 (Japanese edition). One they that did worry me was it wasn't powerful enough to run overear cans.

I got the Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 and these run really easy, like 58 (high gain). But the ones that worried me was the ATH-R70X. These are 470ohms and it was really fkn hard to find out if they would/wouldn't. After buying this unit I went to E-Earphone and tried the headphone out. Running high gain, I had to boost the 3.5mm to around 102 before I felt it was loud enough.

Back in aus, I got myself a Balanced cable and now I can run the 4.4 on High and the r70x runs super well around 78. so yeah this unit is powerful enough.

My question for you all smart people, does anyone run their unit on all the time? e.g. never turn it off even if they arn't using it for 5-6hours? I despise the really long boot up.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #15,552 of 15,672
So I been reading these forum for a bit (love the emotional drama :D) and went out to buy the WM1AM2 (Japanese edition). One they that did worry me was it wasn't powerful enough to run overear cans.

I got the Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 and these run really easy, like 58 (high gain). But the ones that worried me was the ATH-R70X. These are 470ohms and it was really fkn hard to find out if they would/wouldn't. After buying this unit I went to E-Earphone and tried the headphone out. Running high gain, I had to boost the 3.5mm to around 102 before I felt it was loud enough.

Back in aus, I got myself a Balanced cable and now I can run the 4.4 on High and the r70x runs super well around 78. so yeah this unit is powerful enough.

My question for you all smart people, does anyone run their unit on all the time? e.g. never turn it off even if they arn't using it for 5-6hours? I despise the really long boot up.
I set shutdown to 6 hours to preserve the battery. Also i limit the charge to 86%.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #15,553 of 15,672

I switch it off at night before bed else keep it on during day time. I keep Wi-Fi and everything off and have disabled all non required services.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #15,554 of 15,672
Apr 29, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #15,555 of 15,672

I used to leave my WM1Z on all the time for months/years. Now with the WM1AM2, I do the same thing, unless I am going to use another DAP for awhile. Then I will shut off the one I am not using. There is no problem with leaving it on all the time, so it is up to you which you choose.
Either way is fine, but if you are using it regularly, and don't like the longish boot time, then just leave it on.
Or just adapt your habits, start the boot, and do something else. Don't sit there watching it boot, unless you enjoy it. It is easy enough to work this into your routine. It can either be a non-issue which you don't notice, or a deal breaker that you can't stand, and will not put up with. Your choice.
You could also focus on the things that it does right, like playing music in a way that you enjoy, and weigh/decide what you value the most in a DAP.

And if you must watch it the whole time while it is booting, and it gets you riled up every time, then get another DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back