SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 27, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #15,526 of 15,629
I got this adapter fro Ddhifi for Walkman but I feel it takes away some Sony magic here. Sound is more open and light on its feet. Many enjoy such sound but I like heaviness and dense tonality of Sony. The decay of bass I feel is truncated. Will try for few more songs. So far only in my 3rd song with this adapter.

IMG_1884.jpeg

Aesthetically it matches the color of Walkman very well tbh. Does add additional 32gm though. May help in strengthening my grip further.
Why didn’t you get the PW Audio adaptor instead? Those supposedly darkens the tonality of your output.

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #15,527 of 15,629
Why didn’t you get the PW Audio adaptor instead? Those supposedly darkens the tonality of your output.
I feel those grounding stuffs done very less effect on the WM1ZM2. I use Kojo Crystal EP grounding on my Sony WM1ZM2 the difference is very minimal. It might be Sony engineers had done very good job on the grounding.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #15,528 of 15,629
I feel those grounding stuffs done very less effect on the WM1ZM2. I use Kojo Crystal EP grounding on my Sony WM1ZM2 the difference is very minimal. It might be Sony engineers had done very good job on the grounding.
It is not grounded, intentionally. It should not be grounded, that is how it is designed. If it gets grounded, noise increases and the sound quality is lowered.

Apr 27, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #15,529 of 15,629
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought those Kojo virtual ground box is there to eliminate / reduce EMI and RFI, not the kind of usual power supply grounding, in the case of DAP scenario. Call me insane (or may be I'm really so) as I have tried using 5 Crystal E-G in series connected to WM1Z or WM1ZM2 and it does make a very noticeable diff. and the background is like a hollow black hole and very very minute details and nuances could be heard as you would get more than sufficient loudness than you need even at low sound level setting (at high gain, only need set volume output to 30~35 out of 120) .. hearing is believing !!

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #15,530 of 15,629
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought those Kojo virtual ground box is there to eliminate / reduce EMI and RFI, not the kind of usual power supply grounding, in the case of DAP scenario. Call me insane (or may be I'm really so) as I have tried using 5 Crystal E-G in series connected to WM1Z or WM1ZM2 and it does make a very noticeable diff. and the background is like a hollow black hole and very very minute details and nuances could be heard as you would get more than sufficient loudness than you need even at low sound level setting (at high gain, only need set volume output to 30~35 out of 120) .. hearing is believing !!
Using 5 Kojo Crystal E-G in series?! Very very expensive!
Personally, I'm using Kojo Crystal EP + Kojo Crystal E-G (using Kojo Clone 1 cable) on my Aroma Audio Air + Aroma Audio A100TB (with Aroma Audio Powerstation 100 Pro), it sounds really good!
I tried Kojo with my Sony WM1ZM2, I find the improvement is very minimal, not much.

My Kojo Crystal E-G grounding box is not shown in the photo (it's below the Ddhifi case).
IMG_20240427_172125.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #15,531 of 15,629
I will give DDHIFI another go at some point . PWAudio with better internal cable starts at $350 or something and is too expensive for me atm.

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #15,532 of 15,629
It is not grounded, intentionally. It should not be grounded, that is how it is designed. If it gets grounded, noise increases and the sound quality is lowered.
I tried one just to see if it would do anything and there was no difference. HE1000 Stealth/HD 800 S should have had enough resolution to pick up a difference. Definitely a snake oil device imo. There must have been a reason Sony designed it the way they did.

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #15,533 of 15,629
I tried one just to see if it would do anything and there was no difference. HE1000 Stealth/HD 800 S should have had enough resolution to pick up a difference. Definitely a snake oil device imo. There must have been a reason Sony designed it the way they did.
How do you find the 1ZM2 when it comes to driving your 1000/800?

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #15,534 of 15,629
How do you find the 1ZM2 when it comes to driving your 1000/800?
It drives them the same as my desktop amp. 80/120 on high gain for the 800 which is harder to drive than the 1000. Sound wise I prefer to use the 1Z because of DSEE.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #15,536 of 15,629
It drives them the same as my desktop amp. 80/120 on high gain for the 800 which is harder to drive than the 1000. Sound wise I prefer to use the 1Z because of DSEE.
I don't think WM1ZM2 will drive your headphones to it's full potential, it just ain't powerful enough.
Even their own Sony Z1R iem, it will scale up even more when used with a proper amp not just the WM1ZM2 alone.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #15,537 of 15,629
Which grounding devices you use with your WM1ZM2? And how does it connect to grounding via 3.5mm port?

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #15,538 of 15,629
How do you use WM1AM2? By listening to the playlist sequentially with the screen off? or wirelessly and with the screen on?While listening to Apple music wirelessly, if the screen is on, the battery decreases at a terrible rate. For example, it decreases by 25-30% in 1 hour. This is a very rapid decrease. I turned off all Android features for this reason. My screen light is at 50%, but the battery does not last.
My Samsung Galaxy S21 lasts much longer for the same amount of time. It's very disturbing that Sony makes such a terrible battery.

Note: The wireless connection is off. The screen is off. If you listen to the songs in order, there is no problem. The battery lasts well. But if you turn them on and search for a song in the menu and download a song, the burning sun will quickly melt the ice cream!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #15,539 of 15,629
How do you use WM1AM2? By listening to the playlist sequentially with the screen off? or wirelessly and with the screen on?While listening to Apple music wirelessly, if the screen is on, the battery decreases at a terrible rate. For example, it decreases by 25-30% in 1 hour. This is a very rapid decrease. I turned off all Android features for this reason. My screen light is at 50%, but the battery does not last.
My Samsung Galaxy S21 lasts much longer for the same amount of time. It's very disturbing that Sony makes such a terrible battery.

Note: The wireless connection is off. The screen is off. If you listen to the songs in order, there is no problem. The battery lasts well. But if you turn them on and search for a song in the menu and download a song, the burning sun will quickly melt the ice cream!
Screen eats the battery. Keep it off most of the time and switch it on only when you need it. You can pair it with Fiio remote to switch on the screen if you don’t want to use button on walkman frequently.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #15,540 of 15,629
This combo is legit…ZMF Bokeh with Walkman. You can’t go wrong
E1861F1B-45F8-480C-B0F8-B667279909DF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back