SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 13, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #15,661 of 15,721
I've always wondered what the reason for the volume cap was. 🤔

Some details in this discussion from 2012
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-eu-volume-cap-mystery.600111/post-8211599

In short, EU passed laws to protect people's hearing. This is a wrong use of law, impractical, and impossible, which I see as no different than passing a law on what/how much people can eat so they will not get obese. But regardless, a law it is.

But it is a mess, as mandating a specific decibel limit, without taking into consideration that different amps/headphones could need more or less power for the same decibel output. So manufacturers (large ones that have a lot of revenue that can be penalized) have implemented a cap, mostly with the goal to reduce the risk of large fines, and they err on the side of caution. The law itself is badly defined, as the DAP manufacturer has no way of knowing what headphone/earphone the user will use, so have no way to tell what the decibel output will be. So the implementation is often brute force, as the EU enforcement could be arbitrary, so companies choose not to take chances with the implementation. They will err on the side of too much, rather than not enough.

Another question people ask is why so many small DAP companies do not implement a volume cap. The general understanding is that they are too small (footprint/revenue) to be targeted by the EU for extra revenue, and they can always just pull out of the market at any time, if they have to. In addition, even the distribution network could be grey market, so they can say they are not officially releasing products into the EU.

People also ask why the manufacturer does not provide a way to defeat the volume cap, like with a setting, alternate Firmware, etc. The answer is obvious, of course. Any bypass provided by a manufacturer would absolutely be interpreted as breaking the law, and would leave the company open to punitive fines.

That this law is stupid, and badly/not thought out properly? Yes, it absolutely is. But anybody who tries to argue with the government will lose. First by spending a fortune on lawyers and courts, and then by forced product changes/recalls, and penalties.

That the EU passes many mandates, and regularly assesses large fines against corporates, should not be news to anybody. A quick search online will find many examples.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #15,662 of 15,721
Wow. I didn't realize the 1AM2 was that much bigger than the 1AM. Thanks for posting.
The 1AM2 is bigger than the 1AM, but it actually feels OK. I guess we are all used to large phones, so the 1AM2 size and weight feels "normal".
When I first looked at how much bigger it was in a picture, I thought it would be too large. But many users stated that it was fine when using the real thing, and in actual use, it is fine.

May 13, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #15,663 of 15,721
The 1AM2 is bigger than the 1AM, but it actually feels OK. I guess we are all used to large phones, so the 1AM2 size and weight feels "normal".
When I first looked at how much bigger it was in a picture, I thought it would be too large. But many users stated that it was fine when using the real thing, and in actual use, it is fine.
I think the size of the 1AM2 is fine. It’s the weight that is the biggest issue for me, borders into the portable/transportable.

May 13, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #15,664 of 15,721
Wow. I didn't realize the 1AM2 was that much bigger than the 1AM. Thanks for posting.
That is what put me off. I like it a little more compact, like the original series. I don't stream at all, so I really don't need for anything with streaming.

May 13, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #15,665 of 15,721
I think the size of the 1AM2 is fine. It’s the weight that is the biggest issue for me, borders into the portable/transportable.

A306 plus XBA-N3... 90% of AM2 plus Z1R... and 25% of the price... :)

May 13, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #15,668 of 15,721
what is SQ difference between n7/am2?

I’m never great at recalling sound differences when I can’t a/b but I’d say N7 is more energetic, with a fuller and more forward presentation but still with a sort of analogue feel - I do remember say with vocals in higher quality recordings that they were highly visceral where it felt as though you could almost touch them.

May 13, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #15,669 of 15,721
I’m never great at recalling sound differences when I can’t a/b but I’d say N7 is more energetic, with a fuller and more forward presentation but still with a sort of analogue feel - I do remember say with vocals in higher quality recordings that they were highly visceral where it felt as though you could almost touch them.
thanks! sounds interesting... and now you have Sony?)

May 13, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #15,670 of 15,721
thanks! sounds interesting... and now you have Sony?)

Yes I’ve had the 1AM2 for a few months now and love it. All very subjective of course, plenty will prefer the N7 and both fantastic DAPs. I am a self-confessed Sony fanboy though so that needs to be noted… I think the Sony design, ergonomics, overall engineering is by far the best - likewise their seamless UI and excellent music player. I often pick up my Sony DAPs and simply admire them 😂

May 13, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #15,671 of 15,721
True, both are not light. The WM1A = 267g, and the WM1AM2 = 299g. Alright if used on a belt pouch, or sling/shoulder bag. Some people adjust to much heavier stacks, so it's all relative to what each person is comfortable with.
I used the WM1Z (455g) on a belt pouch, with the Sony BT remote, for many years, and it was fine, for me, though most people would disagree that carrying a 1 lb expensive gold brick around made any sense, considering how expensive and heavy it was, when the same music playing functionality could be found on your phone. (And the phone sounded just as good.)
So it's relative. It's fine if you like and enjoy it, and if you don't, then it is a ridiculous setup.

Once, I let coworkers try my WM1Z and Noble K10u/Whiplash cable setup, when they were curious about whether they should look into a better music player setup.
They thanked me afterwards, as they said it sounded "OK", but was too heavy, expensive, and not worth the money to them, so trying it saved them time and money, as they would stick with their phone for music, as that also sounded pretty good. And they really could not see how my setup was worth what it cost...or why anybody would spend that kind of money on a standalone music player, when the phone could do the same thing.
And I would not say they were wrong, as they were happy, and saved a lot of money, time, and frustration. And in the end, that is all we are all looking for.

But an audio fanatic will never be happy. 99% of them, anyways. There is always something newer, and better.
But on the positive side, what other hobby can you name that can keep you interested for so long?

For a more portable option, the A306 is a good solution. Or the ZX707, though some would consider that also as kind of large.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #15,672 of 15,721
True, both are not light. The WM1A = 267g, and the WM1AM2 = 299g. Alright if used on a belt pouch, or sling/shoulder bag. Some people adjust to much heavier stacks, so it's all relative to what each person is comfortable with.
I used the WM1Z (455g) on a belt pouch, with the Sony BT remote, for many years, and it was fine, for me, though most people would disagree that carrying a 1 lb expensive gold brick around made any sense, considering how expensive and heavy it was, when the same music playing functionality could be found on your phone. (And the phone sounded just as good.)
So it's relative. It's fine if you like and enjoy it, and if you don't, then it is a ridiculous setup.

Once, I let coworkers try my WM1Z and Noble K10u/Whiplash cable setup, when they were curious about whether they should look into a better music player setup.
They thanked me afterwards, as they said it sounded "OK", but was too heavy, expensive, and not worth the money to them, so trying it saved them time and money, as they would stick with their phone for music, as that also sounded pretty good. And they really could not see how my setup was worth what it cost...or why anybody would spend that kind of money on a standalone music player, when the phone could do the same thing.
And I would not say they were wrong, as they were happy, and saved a lot of money, time, and frustration. And in the end, that is all we are all looking for.

But an audio fanatic will never be happy. 99% of them, anyways. There is always something newer, and better.
But on the positive side, what hobby can you name that can keep you interested for so long?

For a more portable option, the A306 is a good solution. Or the ZX707, though some would consider that also as kind of large.

I have the 1AM2 which I almost exclusively use only on my off days. The ZX507 is, to me, the sweet spot for sound quality, portability/pocketability and handiness/convenience, as well as aesthetics, in terms of daily use. ZX707 falls far behind the 507 for those considerations/purposes viewed as a whole.

May 14, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #15,673 of 15,721
Personally I feel WM1AM2 is too lightweight after I hold WM1ZM2 side by side.
Preferred WM1ZM2 for the heft feel it's a higher grade product. Your milage might differ.

May 14, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #15,674 of 15,721

Wm1am2 is by far the best for portability and ergonomics, but wouldn't say it is definitely better for sound vs m15s or m8 ( let alone m9+ )
they carry many differences in sound

the most similar pair is m9+ and 1zm2 , still they have quite different sound signature..my ears..
1am2 has by far the best ergonomics of any dap I have had , materials shape surface design cut buttons design size and position..

Edit: zx707 apart

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #15,675 of 15,721
1am2 is quite a pleasure to hold in hand and operate

I tried the zx707 too attracted by even better portability,
but wasn't 'enough' as for sound (for me, my ears my use) so dismissed it quite fast vs 1am2
Also I don't use so much listening on the move open air outside or similarly dynamic or crowded contexts so..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back