SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 2, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #3,616 of 15,549
Is this how things should arrive for micron SD cards? In a big box not it's own packaging?
Bought it from arrow.com

How can I check they are legit?
My Swissbit Industrial Microsd from mouser electronics also came in a similar but smaller packaging.

Just try fill up the card with alot of media files and see if there's any issues with writing or reading.

Fake microsd cards usually work on faking reported storage size to the operating system, once you try to write beyond 4 GBto 8GB or so, it will just stop transferring.

Arrow Electronics seems to be a very legit Industrial electronics parts vendor:
https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/ARW:US
https://www.vendop.com/vendor/arrow-electronics/reviews/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_Electronics

May 2, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #3,617 of 15,549
Just received a few goodies for my 1ZM2 :relieved:

ZM2case_amario.png

But WM1ZM2 already comes with that leather case as stock. Mine included it. Or is this a different one?

Hopefully we will see Dignis and MITER cases for WM1A/ZM2 in a few weeks. Both companies confirmed to me it's coming soon.

May 2, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #3,618 of 15,549
Admittedly, I have not read this expansive thread to any degree. However, I am once again, disappointed by Sony. I would have hoped for ONLY sound effecting improvements (caps, power supply, etc.) and, yes, streaming WIFI capability. At this price point the buyer is most likely only interested in AUDIO performance, Delete all the signal processing nonsense and add more POWER! If I'm not mistaken, some of the early Sony portable players (CD/cassette) had100mW output per channel. What is the anemic power output of this disappointment? I'll pass on this and keep my NW-WM1A.

In my opinion, Output Power wattage numbers is not the only determining factor for sound quality, especially if the headphones and IEM that you are using has higher sensitivity and lower impedence that can be driven well by the Walkman.

In addition, Hiroshi Sato said that both NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 have excellent performance for Sony's in-ear and over-ear headphones including Just Ear. If you are a user of Sony headphones, please feel free to use them.
If it is a non-Sony brand earphone, he personally recommends choosing a product with an impedance below 80 ohms and a sensitivity above 100dB, which will perform better.
https://www.cool3c.com/article/175122

Personally I have compared the DMP-Z1 (rated for 1500mW 16ohms Balanced, High Gain) vs the WM1AM2 (rated 250mW 16ohms Balanced, High Gain) using my IER-M9 Balanced (103db /mW, 20ohms) and find that the six times increase in power doesn't mean the DMP-Z1 is six times louder nor does it mean that the transient dynamics feels/sounds six times better. The Dynamic response of the WM1AM2 actually feels very close to the DMP-Z1, as in I don't feel that the instantaneous rise of loud music notes is any much weaker with the WM1AM2 right next to the more powerful DMP-Z1. Deep low sub-bass notes on both the WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2 feels really very close to the DMP-Z1.

The Walkman is primarily a portable device after all, that is designed for usage on the go without going oversize, overweight and overheat and also to have sufficient battery run time.

The hardware design improvements in this new generation seems to be centered around improving and reinforcing the amplifier's power supply, namely higher capacitance and better quality capacitors of the Walkman, which in turn means the improvements to the sound has more to do with improving the instantaneous and sustained current output of the amplifier. And also a lower jitter design from better crystal clocks, better pcb board circuity and use of better audio grade solder and etc.

All these improvements cannot be measured in mWatts but is heard from actual listening of the device. What all these mean in a nutshell from a listener perspective is better transient response, more deeper sub-bass, blacker background and a more holographic soundstage.

I believe you should have a listen to the new walkman for yourself and compare it to your WM1A if the situation allows for it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #3,619 of 15,549
But WM1ZM2 already comes with that leather case as stock. Mine included it. Or is this a different one?

Hopefully we will see Dignis and MITER cases for WM1A/ZM2 in a few weeks. Both companies confirmed to me it's coming soon.
Japanese 1ZM2 does not come with the leather case.

May 2, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #3,620 of 15,549
May 2, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #3,621 of 15,549
Admittedly, I have not read this expansive thread to any degree. However, I am once again, disappointed by Sony. I would have hoped for ONLY sound effecting improvements (caps, power supply, etc.) and, yes, streaming WIFI capability. At this price point the buyer is most likely only interested in AUDIO performance, Delete all the signal processing nonsense and add more POWER! If I'm not mistaken, some of the early Sony portable players (CD/cassette) had100mW output per channel. What is the anemic power output of this disappointment? I'll pass on this and keep my NW-WM1A.
Well, go and have a listen to the new range and judge for yourself. :)

May 2, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #3,622 of 15,549
Sharing this important article on improving your listening experience by the chief scientist for Dolby Laboratories:

To find out for sure, and gain a few other ‘hacks’ to improve our sound quality we spoke to Dr Poppy Crum, who is not only an adjunct professor at Stanford University in America and chief scientist for Dolby Laboratories but, before she began studying neurology, sensory perception and technology she was a violinist.

If any one is qualified to fine tune our listening experience, it’s her.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar...9mK/6-ways-to-improve-your-enjoyment-of-music

1. Hello darkness...​

p037m0vl.jpg

“I do believe in listening to music in the dark,” declares Crum. “It’s hugely impactful. There are some subtleties you can only hear when you take away another sense.”

The trouble is our brains are just too good, and so with sight and our other faculties in play we’re not hearing a pure sound, but what our brains think we should be hearing after subconsciously making sense of everything else around us.
“Our senses are constantly interacting in ways that make us extremely effective in the world despite all the noise and other incongruous stimuli that would overwhelm us. Your brain is really good at making sure there are things you don’t hear sometimes,” explains Crum.
“But it comes at a price sometimes, and we lose the ability to hear fine subtlety and nuance. Listening in the dark stops your brain doing what it naturally wants to do, interact with your other senses, and focuses your attention on just the one sense. So you can hear a richness that you would otherwise not pick up on.
When I’m playing the violin I often practice in the dark, it’s the only way if you want to hear acoustics around you more effectively, it enables you to hear things you otherwise wouldn’t. You’re experiencing the audio world more as it actually is, which is called veridical. You’re perceptually experiencing the physical world one to one.”
Good work Gideon!

2. Train your brain​

“You can absolutely train yourself to hear more,” says Crum. “Attention is one very important feature. Musicians are exceptional at modulating their attention, it’s like a spotlight, they can zoom in on one element which causes an accentuation and hyper-sensitivity of certain elements in that scene causing their other senses to fade into the background. A very refined attentional control allows them to zoom in and out of what they’re experiencing. It’s a big part of ear training in most musical conservatories.”
If you want to develop similar skills yourself you have to focus.
“Your brain wants to re-organise information and it’s hard to override the natural organisation it wants to make of information from the world around it, but attention is a very powerful tool,” says Crum.
“If you are tracking single elements in a complex piece that can be very powerful, and it can help you consciously modulate your attention from a micro to a macro level. For a genre like EDM that could be very powerful experience. I’m actually a big advocate of listening to the same thing over and over because familiarity enables you to modulate, so you can use that music as a training ground.”
To build your mental gym a copy of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon may come in handy.
“One thing I do with my students in a perception class is use Pink Floyd, because they have an innate understanding of how the brain will perceive information and that’s the thing you’re trying to control,” suggest Crum, introducing her audio push-up regime.
“Take a track like Money, it has all these elements that don’t start out as a sequence and you don’t start grouping them together until they go faster and faster and then form rhythmical structures. You can try to track one of these elements by focusing on it. Then if you drop your attention and listen to the track holistically, then try to focus again.
It would be really hard to hear that single element if you haven’t focused on it from the start, but if we have a cue in our brain for what we’re looking for then our sensitivity is greatly heightened. In my mind, that’s the kind of thing you want to try to train if you want to hear more. You can find these elements in so much music now, so you can have a much richer interaction with the sounds you’re listening to.”

3. Make sure your music listening time is special​

Next time you decide to shut yourself off from the rest of the world to enjoy a favourite record you can tell anyone who thinks you’re being selfish that not only will you do the washing-up later, but you’re creating a controlled and curated listening environment to heighten your listening experience… and then do it repeatedly.

“Our experience of music is often a product of our lives. So there’s a lot to be said for recreating the context that you’re listening in and the behaviours you do before you listen, to enhance your experience of certain pieces of music,”recommends the professor.
“The power that has is really transformative. There are so many things in your day you can’t control, there are lots of elements that enter in to it and your brain is very good at reacting to lots of unplanned changes in the world. So one thing you do want to do is to create a pattern which allows to you to step out into a space where you can just listen, something your brain relies on to get you back into that context each time you want to listen in.”
So making yourself a cup of tea and having a ‘record room’ is just a scientific response to stimuli. Got it?
“Your brain is always looking for changes and differentials, so one thing we did at Dolby in cinema was create a Threshold Entrance to the newer theatres,” explains Crum.
“It offers some neural grounding so everyone can have the richest experience as close to what the content creator intended. Everyone is arriving from different places, so we built this hallway that’s got a content which I think neutralises where you’ve come from. When you want to have a really heightened experience listening to music I think you want to build in something like that. Repetition in a controlled and curated listening environment is critical.”

May 3, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #3,624 of 15,549
250mW on the balanced port as long as it is not the capped EU version. Same output spec as the original version

May 3, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #3,625 of 15,549
Is the internal storage of the DMPZ1 and WM1Z M1/M2 better than micron's sd cards for music quality?

Sony's people are even claiming with their specific Sony's SD cards, they couldn't find any measurements differences of any sort, but, for a few hundred dollars they think you should catch some sound difference when you listen to some music. :L3000: :L3000: :L3000: .....

PS : I think till now nobody could explain clearly how from Flac/Dsd files full of only 0 and 1, a player can create in Sony "source mode" some enlarged staging, faster and deeper low frequency, clearer voices; less distortion.... instead of just scratches/cuts !!! And still keeping the 100% same analog measurements from the player output with any sources.
I imagine, that depends on the country you are from, unfortunately, I am issue from an old country, living in very old houses where we never saw any ghost or UFO in our life...some other countries do have them too :dt880smile::dt880smile:

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #3,627 of 15,549
For those looking for units and will be passing through Singapore's Changi Airport anytime soon, they have two (2) NW-WM1AM2 units at the Sony store at Changi T3 Departure Area. The listed price is already net of the 7% goods and service tax (which they tack on if you buy the unit outside the airport):

52047038368_23d510d63a_h.jpg

Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back