Sony NW-A50 Series
Apr 21, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #2,011 of 2,411
But everything related to those files is in English. It all shows up in English anywhere else I use it. Also, there appears to still be files on the device, and they're all in Japanese too.

I have 256gb worth of music on that card, so editing the tags is not an option.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #2,012 of 2,411
But everything related to those files is in English. It all shows up in English anywhere else I use it. Also, there appears to still be files on the device, and they're all in Japanese too.

I have 256gb worth of music on that card, so editing the tags is not an option.

Would it be possible to send me a link in PM to one of the songs that are showing up with Japanese characters?

Players from Japan are not different from those in the rest of the world, except the region, which is changed when installing the Walkman One firmware, and the Japan region would also not make music info show with Japanese characters or something, so it has to be something related to the tags of the songs.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #2,013 of 2,411
Ok everybody, I'm terribly sorry to waste your time, but it seems that MrWalkman's reply might've pointed me in the right direction and made me realise what the problem here is. So the player was second hand. And it did already have music on it. And it was in an Asian language (probably not even Japanese). I just accessed it on my computer and it was all in that same language. I've now removed it all.

So I tried inserting my micro SD again and realised I hadn't been inserting it properly previously. I didn't realise because everything was just in that Asian language, so I thought it was all my music I was looking at. I never actually tried playing anything.

So I've now inserted it properly and it's creating a database (does it go through this whole process every time you remove and reinsert it?), and I'm very hopeful everything will be in English when it's ready.

Again, I'm terribly sorry for all the fuss over my own stupidity. Spare a thought for me. I wasted about half a day on this crap, hahaha.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #2,014 of 2,411
Ok everybody, I'm terribly sorry to waste your time, but it seems that MrWalkman's reply might've pointed me in the right direction and made me realise what the problem here is. So the player was second hand. And it did already have music on it. And it was in an Asian language (probably not even Japanese). I just accessed it on my computer and it was all in that same language. I've now removed it all.

So I tried inserting my micro SD again and realised I hadn't been inserting it properly previously. I didn't realise because everything was just in that Asian language, so I thought it was all my music I was looking at. I never actually tried playing anything.

So I've now inserted it properly and it's creating a database (does it go through this whole process every time you remove and reinsert it?), and I'm very hopeful everything will be in English when it's ready.

Again, I'm terribly sorry for all the fuss over my own stupidity. Spare a thought for me. I wasted about half a day on this crap, hahaha.

No worries man, I'm glad you figured it out! Enjoy the music! :)

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #2,015 of 2,411
^Sadly, not quite figured it out. After it finished compiling the library none of my music is showing. I go to the library and when I select any of the folders (genre, artist, album etc.) it says there are no songs available for playback. In the settings it says my card is mounted.

Looks like it's gonna be a full day on this.

Edit: Just went to unmount and now it's creating library again. I'll see what happens at the end of that. I don't know what's going on anymore.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #2,017 of 2,411
^Sadly, not quite figured it out. After it finished compiling the library none of my music is showing. I go to the library and when I select any of the folders (genre, artist, album etc.) it says there are no songs available for playback. In the settings it says my card is mounted.

Edit: Just went to unmount and now it's creating library again. I'll see what happens at the end of that. I don't know what's going on anymore.
Yes it goes through library creation every time you remove/insert a card and also every time you boot the player which is why I normally never turn my players off.

Music files must be inside a root folder called Music either in the internal memory or the sd card.

Each music file contains metadata tags that hold all the information about track name, artist name, album name, genre name and so on and you can edit that using prograns like mp3tag and others and that was why you saw non US things in the tags of the previous owners music files that were left on the player.

If you go into Settings, Unit information you should see something like this if you have both installed the WalkmanOne fw itself and then the WM1Z external tuning (the install process is a 2 step installation), otherwise there will say something like tuning not applied

A9A9CE68-6548-4884-83DF-B6E118CFE553.jpeg

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #2,018 of 2,411

At the root of the SD card there has to be a folder called "MUSIC", and then you place all your music in that folder.

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #2,019 of 2,411
Thanks guys. I had no idea about needing a folder labelled 'music'. All sorted now.

That's hectic that it needs to create the library every time u turn it on. It took a good hour to do mine, i reckon. I'm gonna try leaving it on permanently too.

nc8000, I only did one install and do indeed get such a message in the specs. What exactly does it mean that i only did half the install? I'm reluctant to change anything now that it's all working properly.

Cheers

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #2,020 of 2,411
Thanks guys. I had no idea about needing a folder labelled 'music'. All sorted now.

That's hectic that it needs to create the library every time u turn it on. It took a good hour to do mine, i reckon. I'm gonna try leaving it on permanently too.

nc8000, I only did one install and do indeed get such a message in the specs. What exactly does it mean that i only did half the install? I'm reluctant to change anything now that it's all working properly.

Cheers
As described in the documentation for WalkmanOne you first run the installer that installs the actual fw which the restarts the player. After that you then need to run the sound tuning installer (there are 4) which again will restart the player By default you need to run the WM1Z tuning as the is what the fw installer has prepared for after which the Unit info will show like my picture and you will not have the message about missing tuning. Later if you want to play with all the other options you can then edit the settings.txt file in the cfw folder and then again restart the player and perhaps then install other tunings. All is described in the documentation

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #2,022 of 2,411
What's the best software to make playlists for the A55? Making playlists on-device generates some simple M3U8 plain-text files. It would be nice if I could make them on the computer.
I’ve never used it but Sony have their own Music Center (or whatever it is called) for managing music on the pc and dap’s, a bit like Apple’s iTunes

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #2,024 of 2,411
Apr 27, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #2,025 of 2,411

Users who are viewing this thread

Back