Sony NW-A50 Series
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #1,996 of 2,419
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 6:00 AM Post #1,998 of 2,419
Ok. Thanks very much. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.

Which one do you think would be the better option and which one is easier to install?
You could start with the rockbox tool and change to another region like MX3 which will then enable the option to change language on the dap.

Or you could just download and install WalkmanOne (read the instructions carefully and follow them) which as part of the installation changes region and (as far as I know) language to English. If I remenber correctly this loses the FM receiver but it is all described on MrWalkmann’s site

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #2,000 of 2,419
Apr 21, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #2,001 of 2,419
Ok. Thankyou. I might try the latter. Sounds simpler.

I had rockbox on my old xduoo x3. It was great. So that's a good option too.

Cheers
This is not Rockbox for the A55 but just a small tool to change the region of Sony players.

And all of this is only available for Windows

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #2,003 of 2,419
huh? I use them just fine on Linux
I don’t use Linux but I was not aware that MrWalkman or Sony had Linux installers for the dap fw. Can Windows exe’s run on Linux, they certainly don’t work on MacOS ?

Nwdest does exist in a Linux version though but again not for MacOS

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #2,004 of 2,419
I don’t use Linux but I was not aware that MrWalkman or Sony had Linux installers for the dap fw. Can Windows exe’s run on Linux, they certainly don’t work on MacOS ?

Nwdest does exist in a Linux version though but again not for MacOS
Actually nwdest is a Linux tool to begin with. It was ported to Windows using MSYS, so to build it you have to install a tiny Linux System on your Windows.

Building from source could/should work on MacOS too, but i never used MacOS nor do know anyone who does, so i don't know :/ i personally only know Windows and/or Linux users. But if it builds on Linux _and_ on Windows, it should be easy breezy to build it on MacOS, it most likely just needs someone who is willing to build it and provide the binary.

But as a last resort, there is always VMware (afair VMware Fusion on Mac). Its a bit of a hassle running it just for that, but it works and after initial setup, it doesn't need much maintenance.

As i have some games that only work on Windows, i use VMware Workstation since years and haven't found anything that doesn't work yet.

But your point stays true, there seems to be no MacOS Version at all which, at least for scsitool/nwdest, could be changed.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #2,005 of 2,419
Actually nwdest is a Linux tool to begin with. It was ported to Windows using MSYS, so to build it you have to install a tiny Linux System on your Windows.

Building from source could/should work on MacOS too, but i never used MacOS nor do know anyone who does, so i don't know :/ i personally only know Windows and/or Linux users. But if it builds on Linux _and_ on Windows, it should be easy breezy to build it on MacOS, it most likely just needs someone who is willing to build it and provide the binary.

But as a last resort, there is always VMware (afair VMware Fusion on Mac). Its a bit of a hassle running it just for that, but it works and after initial setup, it doesn't need much maintenance.

As i have some games that only work on Windows, i use VMware Workstation since years and haven't found anything that doesn't work yet.

But your point stays true, there seems to be no MacOS Version at all which, at least for scsitool/nwdest, could be changed.
Yes VMWare is nice. I make a living as software developer and I have all my development environments with all tools and servers in a Win8 and a Win10 VMWare virtual machine which makes it so much easier to back up and/or move to another computer. The Win8 machine has movef between my last 3 computers and the Win10 between the last 2

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #2,006 of 2,419
Yes VMWare is nice. I make a living as software developer and I have all my development environments with all tools and servers in a Win8 and a Win10 VMWare virtual machine which makes it so much easier to back up and/or move to another computer. The Win8 machine has movef between my last 3 computers and the Win10 between the last 2
Yes. And the best thing is to shut those beasts down as soon the work is done^^

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #2,007 of 2,419
I installed WalkmanOne. It didn't make any differences to the language display. It's all still just English but then Japanese for all the actual music stuff. Both language settings are set to English.

That Rockbox stuff is way over my head. I tried it, following the instructions here https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool , but when it says to download the bat file I clicked on the link and it just opens a page that says 'call md' in plain text.

When I try to open the initial file you download a black box with white text opens for a split second (I think this is the command prompt?), and then disappears.

It's looking very much like my Walkman is gonna be going on ebay. I'll have to fork out another $100-$200 or so to get an English one. I was watching a used one on ebay and it went for AUD$290 (I'm in Australia). Cheapest current listing for a used one is $388. Ouch.

Will never buy from Ali Express again. Should've known better.

If I do try the rockbox thing again (I really don't have the time. Actually took the morning off work to look at this), is it ok to do it when I have WalkmanOne on my player, or would I need to revert back to the stock firmware first?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #2,008 of 2,419
I installed WalkmanOne. It didn't make any differences to the language display. It's all still just English but then Japanese for all the actual music stuff. Both language settings are set to English.

That Rockbox stuff is way over my head. I tried it, following the instructions here https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool , but when it says to download the bat file I clicked on the link and it just opens a page that says 'call md' in plain text.

When I try to open the initial file you download a black box with white text opens for a split second (I think this is the command prompt?), and then disappears.

It's looking very much like my Walkman is gonna be going on ebay. I'll have to fork out another $100-$200 or so to get an English one. I was watching a used one on ebay and it went for AUD$290 (I'm in Australia). Cheapest current listing for a used one is $388. Ouch.

Will never buy from Ali Express again. Should've known better.

If I do try the rockbox thing again (I really don't have the time. Actually took the morning off work to look at this), is it ok to do it when I have WalkmanOne on my player, or would I need to revert back to the stock firmware first?
What do you mean it’s English but Japanese for all the music stuff ?

And what do you mean by 2 language settings, there is only one place in the settings you change language ?

Doing rockbox will not work when you have WalkmanOne since WalkmanOne changes the region to what is in the setting.txt file in the cfw folder on next reboot.

Neither WalkmanOne nor rockbox changes the language, they just allow you to change the region which in turn enables or disabels the menu option on the player to change language.

All players no matter where you buy them from are identical, what you can do on them is purely controlled by the region set on the player which Sony don’t let you change but which WalkmanOne and rockbox let you do

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #2,009 of 2,419
Ok, so all the navigation menus and everything are in English. The only things that are in Japanese are all the music details. So artist, album, genre etc. Anything related to browsing your music is in Japanese. I have a micro SD full of music and when I put it in it all shows up in Japanese.

It's exactly the same with or without WalkmanOne.

In the settings menu, under 'device settings' I have 'language settings' and 'text input'. Both are set to English and always have been, although I've tried changing them and then putting them back to english.

So how do I change the region? I've looked everywhere on the device and cannot find any such option. That's all I wanna do.

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #2,010 of 2,419
Ok, so all the navigation menus and everything are in English. The only things that are in Japanese are all the music details. So artist, album, genre etc. Anything related to browsing your music is in Japanese. I have a micro SD full of music and when I put it in it all shows up in Japanese.

It's exactly the same with or without WalkmanOne.

In the settings menu, under 'device settings' I have 'language settings' and 'text input'. Both are set to English and always have been, although I've tried changing them and then putting them back to english.

So how do I change the region? I've looked everywhere on the device and cannot find any such option. That's all I wanna do.

This issue is because of your individual music files, and not because of any player.

You must edit the IDv3 tags of the songs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back