Sony NW-A50 Series
Jul 13, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #1,727 of 2,414
Do you have the volume set to max on the Walkman?
I have personally never used it as line out but the general recommandation seems to be to max the volume for this use

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #1,728 of 2,414
hey everyone,

i'm in need of some assistance. several months ago, my audio jack on the A55 stopped working. i can barely get it to work if i position my cable just right, and if the earth stops moving haha. i'm way out of warranty with sony, and i refuse to pay to service it because i honestly don't think it's worth it.

my question is, is there a cable out there that plugs into the WM-Port into an audio jack, or a USB-A into an audio jack? i hope i'm explaining this correctly. i'm asking for any cable that can allow me to listen to music via the WM-Port directly, or from the USB end of the WM-Port.

ALSO - how would doing this impact the sound quality?

any help is appreciated! :)

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #1,729 of 2,414
hey everyone,

i'm in need of some assistance. several months ago, my audio jack on the A55 stopped working. i can barely get it to work if i position my cable just right, and if the earth stops moving haha. i'm way out of warranty with sony, and i refuse to pay to service it because i honestly don't think it's worth it.

my question is, is there a cable out there that plugs into the WM-Port into an audio jack, or a USB-A into an audio jack? i hope i'm explaining this correctly. i'm asking for any cable that can allow me to listen to music via the WM-Port directly, or from the USB end of the WM-Port.

There use to be some wmport specialty cables including one from Fiio. Not sure if they are still being sold and most are only available in Japan. You might be able find them on aliexpress, but you would likely have to output from the wmport to an external DAC/Amp and then plug your headphones into the external unit. By the time you spend all that money on the DAC/Amp and cable you could just buy another A55 for not much more.

If you take it to an electronics repair shop they might be able to get it open and simply resolder the jack.

There are some great alternatives that cost alot less like my Shanling Q1 which has a USB-C port, alot more power and very good battery life at 21 hours, supports all the same bluetooth codecs as the A55 and only costs about $119.00 US. I can vouch for the sound quality which is amazing for such an inexpensive DAP.

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #1,730 of 2,414
hey everyone,

Just use Bluetooth.

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #1,731 of 2,414
Just use Bluetooth.

Yeah true so you could buy new bluetooth headphones or just buy a new DAP like the Q1. It just depends on how much he wants to stick with his current headphones. I personally have not been impressed by bluetooth headphone sound quality vs wired headphones and wired headphones will last much longer due to not having batteries.

A decent pair of bluetooth headphones will cost about as much as the Q1 as well. Frankly there is nothing the A55 offers vs the Q1 and some things the Q1 offers that the A55 does not including more power, wifi file transfer, and the ability to sync with either android or apple smartphones.

No news about any Sony update to the A55 (Linux), so you have to ask how long you want to stick with an A55 DAP that is already 3 years old. I would consider an updated A55 variant but I have no interest in overpaying for such an old model in the A55 which sells for the same price now in Canada as it did 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,732 of 2,414
Just use Bluetooth.
I’ve been using Bluetooth this entire time lol

that’s why I’m inquiring about this situation. I wanna use the 55 as a DAC and bluetooth receiver again and it’s near impossible because of the broken audio jack.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,734 of 2,414
For me it takes maybe 2 seconds for the player to start playing a song after i push play. It does so no matter if I use DSP or not. Is it like this because of the custom fw or is it always like this?
Mine starts immediately and has always done so, both on stock and custom fw

Jul 15, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,735 of 2,414
There use to be some wmport specialty cables including one from Fiio. Not sure if they are still being sold and most are only available in Japan. You might be able find them on aliexpress, but you would likely have to output from the wmport to an external DAC/Amp and then plug your headphones into the external unit. By the time you spend all that money on the DAC/Amp and cable you could just buy another A55 for not much more.

If you take it to an electronics repair shop they might be able to get it open and simply resolder the jack.

There are some great alternatives that cost alot less like my Shanling Q1 which has a USB-C port, alot more power and very good battery life at 21 hours, supports all the same bluetooth codecs as the A55 and only costs about $119.00 US. I can vouch for the sound quality which is amazing for such an inexpensive DAP.

thank you for your suggestions! I’m still stuck on Sony being my go-to brand for audio and I just love the sound of the 55. The Q1 looks so cute!

I was also considering doing a hefty upgrade to the ZX507 or WM1A, but I couldn’t get clear answers to if either or both absolutely have DAC and Bluetooth receiver functionality. I know for sure the 105 doesn’t, so that’s why I wasn’t gonna bother.

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #1,736 of 2,414
thank you for your suggestions! I’m still stuck on Sony being my go-to brand for audio and I just love the sound of the 55. The Q1 looks so cute!

I was also considering doing a hefty upgrade to the ZX507 or WM1A, but I couldn’t get clear answers to if either or both absolutely have DAC and Bluetooth receiver functionality. I know for sure the 105 doesn’t, so that’s why I wasn’t gonna bother.
The 1A has both

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #1,737 of 2,414

I was also considering doing a hefty upgrade to the ZX507 or WM1A, but I couldn’t get clear answers to if either or both absolutely have DAC and Bluetooth receiver functionality. I know for sure the 105 doesn’t, so that’s why I wasn’t gonna bothe

I would get a Shanling M3X if you want to upgrade, best DAP for the price range (my daily driver), I still use my A55 with a Fiio Q3 with this cable https://www.fiio.com/productinfo/576983.html (if you don't want to spend $300+).

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,738 of 2,414

Fiio L27 is WM-to-USB mini - bypasses the built in converters, outputs digital, SQ will depend on the connected DAC/AMP

Fiio L5 is WM-to-3,5mm - no impact on the SQ, just a line out (analog)

around 20-25€ or so. PM me of interested in the L27

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #1,739 of 2,414
Fiio L27 is WM-to-USB mini - bypasses the built in converters, outputs digital, SQ will depend on the connected DAC/AMP

Fiio L5 is WM-to-3,5mm - no impact on the SQ, just a line out (analog)

around 20-25€ or so. PM me of interested in the L27
Hmm. Thank you for listing these. They’re definitely useful, but now I realize that the L5 *might* be better for what I’m looking for… but, only if the cable is long enough, and it doesn’t look so.

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #1,740 of 2,414
Also, I’m not sure if this was already mentioned in this thread, but I figured out something cool with my A55, iPhone 12 Pro, and WH-1000XM4.

I use the XM4’s multipoint feature when I want to listen to music on my A55 but need them connected to my phone in case I have a call coming in.

I saw that the Sony Headphones app has the function where you can connect two devices simultaneously, but LDAC will be disabled.

luckily, I’ve realized that there’s a cool workaround for that… I never have that function switched on. But, if I connect my XM4 to the A55 via Bluetooth FIRST, and THEN connect the headphones to my iPhone, I can still play my music via LDAC.

also, I have *very limited* playback control for the music from my A55 in the Sony Headphones app. I can play/pause, rewind, fast forward, and control the volume. So it’s kinda like a backwards Bluetooth receiver, for lack of a better term. Idk, I just thought that was cool haha

[tried to get a video up here for proof, but no luck]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back