Sony NW-A50 Series
Jul 9, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #1,711 of 2,411
Coming from an ipod classic, I need some help deciding between zx100 and a55 as an upgrade - mainly use for wireless Bluetooth listening on Sony mdr1000x which doesn't have any EQ app support
All this while I've been focusing on a55 but the lack of sound enhancement while using bluetooth is somewhat bothering me - https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/articles/00231073

Which why I looked into zx100 as used unit as they are priced close to a55. The only "cons" of zx100 is the lack of touchscreen, not sure if that's a deal breaker for me yet. In terms of sound quality, would the zx100 perform better than the a55?

Jul 10, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #1,712 of 2,411
I'm never using the plus mode. But always phase linear and DSEE HX. So that would be around 20% extra right?
Probably there about, I never use any dsp but on the other hand Plus mode and usually get up to 15 hours with 16/44 flac. You also loose 10% if you use the Battery care option as it then only charges to 90% capacity

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,714 of 2,411
Can NW-A55 drive IER-M9 loud enough and without hissing?
It can certainly drive the IER-Z1R loud enough without hissing

Jul 10, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,716 of 2,411
Also can A55 handle large cover art files (>10MB)? As a separate file per-album, not embedded.
No idea, all my cover art is embedded 300x300

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #1,717 of 2,411
Do these have an oleophobic coating on the screen? It attracts fingerprints so easily.
Ps - I asked above but got no reply so please allow to ask again, can the Walkman drive 300ohm headphones like the HD600?

Within my experience, The Sony Walkman A55 is not able to properly amplify even my Nad Viso HP50(32 ohm). It can't properly amplify my Sennheiser hd 598 (50 ohm). The Walkman makes these two headphones very loud, but loudness is nowhere synonymous with power or amplification. I feel that loudness and amplification are two very different things and the walkman perhaps has a very good sound but it seriously needs a portable amplifier. Without amplification, headphones may get very loud, but they will sound tinny and shrill. Sony Walkman A55, seriously needs amplifier for portable headphones. So I would predict that of course, the Sennheiser hd 600 would be noway near to be getting amplified by the Walkman alone.

I would also like to add that I have a Schiit Magni 3 desktop amp. The problem is that Sony Walkman A55 is a bad match for even the Magni 3 amp. It's because the Magni 3 is a desktop amp and desktop amps generally need a 2 vrms output via the dac. So even Magni 3 is useless with my Walkman. So I feel that Walkman needs portable amps like the Fiio A5 etc.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,718 of 2,411
Within my experience, The Sony Walkman A55 is not able to properly amplify even my Nad Viso HP50(32 ohm). It can't properly amplify my Sennheiser hd 598 (50 ohm). The Walkman makes these two headphones very loud, but loudness is nowhere synonymous with power or amplification. I feel that loudness and amplification are two very different things and the walkman perhaps has a very good sound but it seriously needs a portable amplifier. Without amplification, headphones may get very loud, but they will sound tinny and shrill. Sony Walkman A55, seriously needs amplifier for portable headphones. So I would predict that of course, the Sennheiser hd 600 would be noway near to be getting amplified by the Walkman alone.

I would also like to add that I have a Schiit Magni 3 desktop amp. The problem is that Sony Walkman A55 is a bad match for even the Magni 3 amp. It's because the Magni 3 is a desktop amp and desktop amps generally need a 2 vrms output via the dac. So even Magni 3 is useless with my Walkman. So I feel that Walkman needs portable amps like the Fiio A5 etc.
It all depends on what headphone or iem you need to drive, many will be perfectly fine and many will lack power, you just have to match correctly

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #1,719 of 2,411
Within my experience, The Sony Walkman A55 is not able to properly amplify even my Nad Viso HP50(32 ohm). It can't properly amplify my Sennheiser hd 598 (50 ohm).
I have the opposite experience - it had no issues driving the HP50 pr the ATHmsr7. It is even enjoyable with he the HD6xx, but these cans sound better amplified.

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,721 of 2,411
I had no problem with any IEM’s, 16 to 45ohm.

Could you think of an IEM the A55 can’t drive? Just curious.
I haven’t tried that many but the IER-Z1R sounds better with more power. I mainly use the A55 with my JH13 ciem

Jul 12, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,722 of 2,411

I have to mostly agree with this statement - whilst my A55 drives my 598 SR's to reasonably high levels, I can't help thinking there must be more. One solution to the low output when using an external amp would be the use of the excellent Burson Cable +. This USB powered cable boosts the output signal to something far more appropriate without adding anything nasty to the signal path. Just a thought but I think they're discontinued now anyway.

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #1,723 of 2,411
I have to mostly agree with this statement - whilst my A55 drives my 598 SR's to reasonably high levels, I can't help thinking there must be more. One solution to the low output when using an external amp would be the use of the excellent Burson Cable +. This USB powered cable boosts the output signal to something far more appropriate without adding anything nasty to the signal path. Just a thought but I think they're discontinued now anyway.

I tried searching for the Burson Cable + after reading your post. It seems to be a very good choice to uplift the Walkman. But the cable seems to be out of stock everywhere. Are there any alternatives to such cables?

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,725 of 2,411
Isn't it a very bad idea to use an external amp since it does not have line out?
No the S-Master has a very clean output so it works fine used as a line out as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back