Sony NW-A50 Series
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #1,681 of 2,411
I get a 'Connect the player to the computer with a USB cable' message when trying to use FirmwareUpdateTool or mrwalkman's firmware. The player is connected and the files accesible.

Also, audio doesn't play (as it used to) when in DAC mode. It connects, PC recognizes external DAC but no sound comes out.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,685 of 2,411
I get a 'Connect the player to the computer with a USB cable' message when trying to use FirmwareUpdateTool or mrwalkman's firmware. The player is connected and the files accesible.

Also, audio doesn't play (as it used to) when in DAC mode. It connects, PC recognizes external DAC but no sound comes out.
The connect the player message means that the model on the player is not the tool expects to see. Normally you have to use the revert modules that cane with the fw you have installed to go back to factory state before you can do anything else as the MrWalkman fw’s change the model and other fun and games

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #1,688 of 2,411
Hi. I recently bought a Sony Walkman A55. I tired amping it with a Schiit Magni 3 but the Magni 3 is badly underpowered by Sony walkman as the Magni requires 2 vrms and the Walkman is nowhere near 2 vrms. So can anyone post what is a good way of amping the Sony Walkman. Are there good portable amps that do not require 2 vrms output? Or even any desktop amps that do not require 2 vrms

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #1,689 of 2,411
DMP-A55 Walkman with IER-H500A most likely is a pair achieving 'coherent and fatigue-free sound signature that can work well for very long listening sessions ... no harshness or sibilance'. IER-H500A on aliexpress, is actually a very good pairing with the A45/A55 Walkman, although many have expressed dissatisfaction with IER-NW500N, its noise cancelling brother model. Something loosely termed 'synergy' is at play here. At least, this pair is optimal and would have been tested by the engineers.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #1,690 of 2,411
Hi. I recently bought a Sony Walkman A55. I tired amping it with a Schiit Magni 3 but the Magni 3 is badly underpowered by Sony walkman as the Magni requires 2 vrms and the Walkman is nowhere near 2 vrms. So can anyone post what is a good way of amping the Sony Walkman. Are there good portable amps that do not require 2 vrms output? Or even any desktop amps that do not require 2 vrms
have you tried with high gain on Magni 3?

there's no such that amplifier would need certain voltage... amplifier task is to amplify...

the sometimes specified input voltage on an amp is to tell you that (say 2VRMS in this case) is the voltage that if you feed that amount, the amp will produce it's maximum wattage... which also mean that... beyond that voltage, it would be saturated and potentially clipping (dangerous for your transducers: speakers, headphone etc.). Normally we do not hear up at max... it could potentially destroy the transducer or make us deaf...

The volume control on amplifier is in fact to reduce the voltage that feed into the amplifier input...

so try first play with the gain setting on Magni... if it still sound low, try to crank the amp volume up... it's OK to do that...

only if after maxing everything out but the volume still low... most likely you have very difficult headphone/IEM load... (either very high impedance or very inefficient)
so in this case, the maximum output voltage of NW-A55 is not enough...

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,691 of 2,411
Regarding the MDR-EX750/IER-NW750N, IER-H500A /IER-NW500N, IER-NW510N distinction, they are all Walkman A series specific earphones. Some could do binaural recording with Xperia. NW510N is the 6 mm driver IEM for NW-A100 series, with a strange shape that hides in the ear. MDR-EX750 is notable for its balanced circuit connected to a single ended plug. It is not clear whether later iterations had the same balanced circuit, or whether NW750N, its walkman version, had this. Or whether the sound improves due to it. But it is remarkable that my experience with using IER-H500A with A55 matched another user’s with their IER-NW500N. Perhaps due to A55’s incompetence, they’d stopped listening to it via other headphones, until they dropped into a Sony store and tried NW500N. Somehow the 9 mm driver IEM works well with A55, from a non-critical layperson’s perspective.

When would a person be able to tell that the combination is good? Perhaps it is no different to any other combination so long as it is also a 9 mm driver with similar specs. Perhaps it is the fit with the ear that differed. But overall, the effect is to allow A55 to playback sources without causing any dissatisfaction, and to have the user begin to feel that the A55 is really a music toy. Perhaps not outrightly fun or warm sounding but definitely something to play with rather than a professional sound.

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #1,692 of 2,411
Hello everyone, I've had a NW-55 for about 6 months and had been perfectly happy with it, but it's not longer recharging or connecting to my PC. I've tried different cables (have two since I had a NW-15 before), tried using an adapter to charge it with a wall wart, but no luck, the player won't connect or chanrge. Is there anything I can do to sort it out ? I'd send it back to Amazon, since it's still under warranty, but they have no stock and don't seem likely to get more.

Jun 21, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #1,694 of 2,411
I have the A-55 and the Senn 598SR. It does drive them to fairly high levels but I can't help feeling that there could be just a little more oomph. I can regularly listen to certain types of music with the volume control set to max (minus a couple of clicks usually). BTW - this is from a region-free Walkman without the Euro volume restrictions. I suspect the Fiio player you mentioned would have more power. Surprisingly enough though, my Galaxy Note 8 actually drives the Senns really nicely with some power in reserve. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back