Sony NW-A50 Series
Jan 5, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #1,216 of 2,411
I don't know if you're using a dedicated software for that - I'm using Mp3tag: https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

You could give it a try.

If not, feel free to attach a screenshot of the details of the song in the player (press VOL+, then press VOL- (one by one), and then keep Power pressed until the dialog comes up, to save a screenshot) and also to send me the MP3 file and I can take a look at it tomorrow or something.
I have just installed that MP3tag software that you suggested and the 'Disknumber' tag is appearing there. I think I will be able to edit the tags now and recopy the fixed files over the my Sony Walkman.

I'll have a fiddle with it tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help.

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #1,218 of 2,411
Ok I’m half way there to solving the problem now.

When I swipe to the right, click on the three dots, select ‘Detailed Song Information’ the track numbers are all correct (this is the same in both folder view or artist view). However some of the MP3 files have a ‘Disk’ number which seems to take priority over track number and it plays the tracks from the lowest disk number first.

What I would like to do is delete or change the disk number information and the tracks should start playing in the correct order. However when I look at the MP3 files on my PC there is no information in the ‘Disk’ column and I can’t see any way of adding or changing information in the ‘Disk’ column.

How do I do this?

Yes the default sorting is by disc number followed by track number though when playing through folder view the sort order is by file name

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #1,219 of 2,411
I don't know if you're using a dedicated software for that - I'm using Mp3tag: https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

You could give it a try.

If not, feel free to attach a screenshot of the details of the song in the player (press VOL+, then press VOL- (one by one), and then keep Power pressed until the dialog comes up, to save a screenshot) and also to send me the MP3 file and I can take a look at it tomorrow or something.
Yes that has worked perfectly. Thanks again for your help. :)

Jan 17, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #1,221 of 2,411
Hi guys. I’m thinking of pairing an A50 with a true wireless earbud like a Grado GT220 or Noble Falcon Pro. Is it true that the on-ear controls for playback, volume, etc. will not work with the A50?

Thanks.

Terry

They will, actually.

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,223 of 2,411
Guys, could you help me?
Today i bought an NW-A55. I am a novice linux user. Unfortunately now there is no Windows notebook at home. I want to install NWDestTool on Debian. I can't find a step by step guide on the RockBox site.

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #1,224 of 2,411
Guys, could you help me?
Today i bought an NW-A55. I am a novice linux user. Unfortunately now there is no Windows notebook at home. I want to install NWDestTool on Debian. I can't find a step by step guide on the RockBox site.

Hey, it's all here: https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool#GettingTool

You just need to download the Linux executable instead of the Windows one, cd (change directory) to the executable, and execute it as described in the instructions on the webpage.

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #1,225 of 2,411
Guys, could you help me?

It's really simple, just follow the instructions on the rockbox site.

The same tool can be used to install mrwalkman's firmware, I have posted here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...ware-non-android.943661/page-72#post-15939193 how to do it. (Ha még így sem megy, dobj egy privit)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #1,226 of 2,411
Hi All,
As a music listener used to listening through my mobile (iOS), I have become accustomed to various playback features such as “play next”, “play last” and the ability to edit the now playing queue. From what I understand, while the A55 has a now playing queue, songs cannot be added or removed from it and the song order cannot be changed. It seems the bookmarks list feature is something of a replacement. However, changes to bookmarks don’t seem to be reflected by the now playing queue. For example, if I create a short bookmarks list which I begin to play, I am unable to add songs to “play next” or play last” or edit the order of songs without clicking a song in the change bookmarks list, which disrupts the track I was currently listening to.

Am I missing something, or is the bookmarks feature as it is how everyone else uses it? Do other listeners prefer to shuffle songs or listen to an album, then manually select another?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #1,227 of 2,411
Hi All,
As a music listener used to listening through my mobile (iOS), I have become accustomed to various playback features such as “play next”, “play last” and the ability to edit the now playing queue. From what I understand, while the A55 has a now playing queue, songs cannot be added or removed from it and the song order cannot be changed. It seems the bookmarks list feature is something of a replacement. However, changes to bookmarks don’t seem to be reflected by the now playing queue. For example, if I create a short bookmarks list which I begin to play, I am unable to add songs to “play next” or play last” or edit the order of songs without clicking a song a in the changes bookmarks list, which disrupts the track I was currently listening to.

Am I missing something, or is the bookmarks feature as it is how everyone else uses it? Do other listeners prefer to shuffle songs or listen to an album, then manually select another?

I think you are correct that all this kind of features don’t exist. I always select an album and play it end to end

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #1,228 of 2,411
Hi All,
As a music listener used to listening through my mobile (iOS), I have become accustomed to various playback features such as “play next”, “play last” and the ability to edit the now playing queue. From what I understand, while the A55 has a now playing queue, songs cannot be added or removed from it and the song order cannot be changed. It seems the bookmarks list feature is something of a replacement. However, changes to bookmarks don’t seem to be reflected by the now playing queue. For example, if I create a short bookmarks list which I begin to play, I am unable to add songs to “play next” or play last” or edit the order of songs without clicking a song in the change bookmarks list, which disrupts the track I was currently listening to.

Edit: spelling

I either listen to an album from start to end, or shuffle a playlist synced over from my PC.

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,229 of 2,411
can i install the firmware under linux?

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #1,230 of 2,411
can i install the firmware under linux?
No. Official firmware packages from Sony are for Windows and Mac only. MrWalkman's custom firmware is Windows only.

If you are talking about NWDestTool, that can be used under Linux, as it does not install firmware, but change the device location setting.

Edit: It is possible to install firmware on Linux with scsitool (see next few messages)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back