Sony NW-A50 Series
Dec 11, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #1,111 of 2,411
I'm having trouble with the connection between my amp and the NW-A50 as it keeps cutting out after a couple of minutes. I've checked the amp on the old iPod and it's fine but that uses a cable from the iPod charging socket to the amp's 3.5mm.

Does anyone know where I could get something similar for the Sony?

Dec 11, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #1,112 of 2,411
I'm having trouble with the connection between my amp and the NW-A50 as it keeps cutting out after a couple of minutes. I've checked the amp on the old iPod and it's fine but that uses a cable from the iPod charging socket to the amp's 3.5mm.

Does anyone know where I could get something similar for the Sony?
Do you mean something like this?
https://www.ebay.es/itm/303781760611?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l6004&_trkparms=gh1g=I303781760611.N41.S2.typeITEM_SHIPPED.R2.TR2
hope it helps!

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #1,113 of 2,411
Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,114 of 2,411
It will work on some WM port players but not on all as some of the players like at least the 1A and 1Z don’t implement to analog signals, don’t know if there are other newer players that also don’t implement analog out on the WM port
I am expecting one. I will report if it works for the 55L

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #1,116 of 2,411
Hello all,
I am going to purchase a 55L which will update a 8gb walkman I have had what must be 10yrs and still going strong.

I have read all 75 pages but see only limited reviews on suitable headphones.

I have a very nice Linn LP12 / full tube home system (reached after many many years of experimentation) so know what sound I like.

However, my experience with good headphones is more limited.

I get they will need to be easily driven.

Buds vs closed vs open backed.

I don't travel on public transport so its more a question of comfort and sound than environment. Although I would sit next to the wife in bed sometimes.

1. Buds would need some ear loop as i find the usual lower cost types fall out which ever sleeve is used.
Over ear is probably the way I would go unless there is a good reason for buds.
2. Price, if I was spending a lot I would probably go the whole way and get the entry Stax as could also use with the house system.
Otherwise it probably makes sense to stick below £200.
I listen to a broad range of music.
Appreciate suggestions.
Thanks

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #1,118 of 2,411
Another thought, is there anyway to make use of the dac to assist in ripping vinyl?
Did you mean ADC (analogue-digital converter)? AFAIK, you can unlock such feature by changing to Japan region and using a Line-In cable. It then records sound into mp3 (and wav??? I forget, need to check) file. However, the display for the functions is frustrating unless you set the language to Japanese.

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #1,119 of 2,411
Hello all,
I am going to purchase a 55L which will update a 8gb walkman I have had what must be 10yrs and still going strong.

I have a very nice Linn LP12 / full tube home system (reached after many many years of experimentation) so know what sound I like.

I don't travel on public transport so its more a question of comfort and sound than environment. Although I would sit next to the wife in bed sometimes.

1. Buds would need some ear loop as i find the usual lower cost types fall out which ever sleeve is used.
2. Price, if I was spending a lot I would probably go the whole way and get the entry Stax as could also use with the house system.
Appreciate suggestions.
Thanks

I guess you're not into IEMs? Well I reckon that the Koss Porta Pro, Sony H.ear On, maybe the Audio Technica MSR7b would all be drivable with the A55.

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #1,121 of 2,411
Hello all,

Appreciate suggestions.
Thanks
The 55 is a very nice little dap and it drives perfectly my easy to drive headphones. I tell you the specs so you can get something alike.

• Sennheiser HD 599 impedance 50 Ohms, slp 106 db (1 vrms). This could be right for you but it is open so sound leaks out. The wife will not like it!
  • Debon ah-d7200 25 Ohms 106 db
  • Denon Ah-D900 32 Ohms, 106 db, old vintage headphones
  • Sony WH-1000xm3 47 Ohms 104,5 db, Again driven effortlessly with the cable connection, and iems:
  • Final audio E4000. 15 Ohms 97 db.
  • Etymotic ER-4xr 45 Ohms, 104 dbs.
Any of the above are driven pretty well by the 55L. From what you say you probably need an easy to drive closed back overear. Something like the Sony mdr-1am2 or the Audio-Technica Ath-msr7b, they should drive well with the 55, but I do not have personal experience.
hope it helps!

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #1,122 of 2,411
Luis,
Thank you.
The Sony mdr-1am2 does seem to make sense on paper, 16ohms and closed to stop the wife elbowing me.
If I could risk the leakage I wonder how much better a pair of Grado 325 would sound.
Anyone tried either?
Thanks

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #1,123 of 2,411
I guess you're not into IEMs? Well I reckon that the Koss Porta Pro, Sony H.ear On, maybe the Audio Technica MSR7b would all be drivable with the A55.
I have nothing against IEMs other than the ones I have used ( all sub £50) never seat firmly for me.
Ignoring fit / practicalities for a moment, sound wise do any beat an over ear for sound in similar price brackets?
I accept they will be easier to power.

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #1,124 of 2,411
I have nothing against IEMs other than the ones I have used ( all sub £50) never seat firmly for me.
Ignoring fit / practicalities for a moment, sound wise do any beat an over ear for sound in similar price brackets?
I accept they will be easier to power.
the Etymotic are amazing. Provided you can get used to the deep insertion, I prefer them to any of my headphones except the Denon Ah-d7200 that are more than twice more expensive. Personally I do not find them uncomfortable and the sound quality is remarkable.
i have used for years cheap Sennheiser iems and the Etymotic are simply in a completely different league.

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #1,125 of 2,411
Did you mean ADC (analogue-digital converter)? AFAIK, you can unlock such feature by changing to Japan region and using a Line-In cable. It then records sound into mp3 (and wav??? I forget, need to check) file. However, the display for the functions is frustrating unless you set the language to Japanese.
Interesting, although I'd be lost with Japanese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back