Sony NW-A50 Series
Aug 9, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #901 of 2,411
So I have recently acquired one of these and on the advice of an earlier post from amazon de. It's seems very basic at first. I have a Sony NWZ- E585 from around 2015 which includes a radio and a podcast function and also a jpeg and even video folder although the screen is tiny the A50 doesn't even display the time ! I have to say I'm not really interested in most of those functions although it might be nice to personalize it with a screen saver. I suppose though that it's a good thing to make the music on the player the main focus.

Anyway I have a fairly trivial question but maybe someone can help me with it quickly. In the folder icon there are two options "system storage" and "SD card". All of my music is in "system storage" does that mean I have not mounted the "SD card" correctly ?
It.means that you have put.your music on the drive labeled walkman (internal storage), the SD card label is SD_CARD must also have a folder called MUSIC

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #902 of 2,411
So I have recently acquired one of these and on the advice of an earlier post from amazon de. It's seems very basic at first. I have a Sony NWZ- E585 from around 2015 which includes a radio and a podcast function and also a jpeg and even video folder although the screen is tiny the A50 doesn't even display the time ! I have to say I'm not really interested in most of those functions although it might be nice to personalize it with a screen saver. I suppose though that it's a good thing to make the music on the player the main focus.

Anyway I have a fairly trivial question but maybe someone can help me with it quickly. In the folder icon there are two options "system storage" and "SD card". All of my music is in "system storage" does that mean I have not mounted the "SD card" correctly ?

FM radio is available if you flash ROM to other region, it also removes volume limit ( but you loose bluetooth receiver function so something for something )

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #904 of 2,411
FM radio is available if you flash ROM to other region, it also removes volume limit ( but you loose bluetooth receiver function so something for something )

I am not sure what "flash ROM" means but I have been finding the Bluetooth receiver useful connecting the player to my stereo. Yesterday I played a podcast through it from my tablet and found the clear audio function good for poorly recorded spoken word.

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #906 of 2,411
I am not sure what "flash ROM" means but I have been finding the Bluetooth receiver useful connecting the player to my stereo. Yesterday I played a podcast through it from my tablet and found the clear audio function good for poorly recorded spoken word.
Here you can find the way to uncap the volume of the 55 https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

I do not remember which region I installed, was it Australia, Canada or Japon, I do not remember, but I do have fm radio, that I never use, and Bluetooth receiver function, that I use and love!

US region would be good. Have both.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #907 of 2,411
Hi guys. Need some info. Could any FM radio station be played using earphones connected to Sony A-55 and the same music signal be routed via LDAC to any other higher-end DAP with wireless LDAC receiver in it?

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #908 of 2,411
Hi guys. Need some info. Could any FM radio station be played using earphones connected to Sony A-55 and the same music signal be routed via LDAC to any other higher-end DAP with wireless LDAC receiver in it?

AFAICT radio doesn't work with bluetooth.

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #909 of 2,411
AFAICT radio doesn't work with bluetooth.

I mean, FM radio does work with earphones plugged into 3.5mm. But it also further possible for some DAPs to send that music via LDAC wirelessly to any other DAP with LDAC. I was hoping to check if this works with A50 - would A50 transmit (wirelessly using LDAC) its own digital output of the analogue FM radio input signal it receives with earphones plugged into A50's 3.5mm?

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #910 of 2,411
I mean, FM radio does work with earphones plugged into 3.5mm. But it also further possible for some DAPs to send that music via LDAC wirelessly to any other DAP with LDAC. I was hoping to check if this works with A50 - would A50 transmit (wirelessly using LDAC) its own digital output of the analogue FM radio input signal it receives with earphones plugged into A50's 3.5mm?

I am saying my A50's FM radio will not switch on if bluetooth is connected whatsoever, regardless of what is going on with 3.5mm.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #911 of 2,411
I am saying my A50's FM radio will not switch on if bluetooth is connected whatsoever, regardless of what is going on with 3.5mm.

Have you tried connecting earphones and playing FM on A50 first and then turning on Bluetooth for LDAC to see if it can transmit the same onto another LDAC DAP or LDAC headphone? (You may need to pick LDAC in A50's Bluetooth options and not aptX.)

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #912 of 2,411
Wondering what the differences between A-50 and the latest A-50L might be.

Walkman blog showed up the following email from Sony that says "A55L version is launching in Europe as it doesn't have FM funtion due to DAB regulations." Does this mean all other regions sell only standard A55 (non-L) version and therefore all other region A55 purchases will sport FM feature?

I am planning to order one tomorrow from Amazon USA and pretty much for FM radio purpose (and DSEE HX AI and Clear Audio+). Now not sure if it's the right one or not. Amazon product page has the title: "Sony NW-A50L/A-50..."; quite ambiguous.

B&H seem to be selling both versions: The new MFR #NWA55/L (New Release) and the old MFR #NWA55/B (More Units Arriving) and the B&H specs for both versions feature "FM: Yes".

All other specs, hopefully, same on both versions? FM Radio, DSEE HX AI and Clear Audio+ are a must for me.

emailsony.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #913 of 2,411
@Facta i bought A55L version and after using Rockbox's SonyNWDestTools (https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool) (to uncap volume) and changing region of my device to US - FM radio is available and is working fine. It is physicaly included to all devices, but locked via software.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back