Sony NW-A50 Series
Aug 15, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #916 of 2,409
Hi everyone -
My A55 works fine with the exception of displaying the correct release year; so far, it seems to show up around 50% of the time and I haven't been able to isolate
exactly what makes the others stay listed as "Unknown".
I initially dragged and dropped through Windows Explorer and then tried replacing the ones that don't display correctly with Mediamonkey but to no avail.
I also installed the Sony Media Center but quickly gave up when I saw how it was creating individual artist folders inside the player (I prefer to sort my database folders by Genre).
It's not a big deal but I've always enjoyed being able to listen to all of my music from a specific year (thank you, Plenue D) and since the Walkman's can do this, I'd like to get it to work.
Any suggestions?

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #917 of 2,409
Hi everyone -
My A55 works fine with the exception of displaying the correct release year; so far, it seems to show up around 50% of the time and I haven't been able to isolate
exactly what makes the others stay listed as "Unknown".
I initially dragged and dropped through Windows Explorer and then tried replacing the ones that don't display correctly with Mediamonkey but to no avail.
I also installed the Sony Media Center but quickly gave up when I saw how it was creating individual artist folders inside the player (I prefer to sort my database folders by Genre).
It's not a big deal but I've always enjoyed being able to listen to all of my music from a specific year (thank you, Plenue D) and since the Walkman's can do this, I'd like to get it to work.
Any suggestions?

I would check the tags on a song that shows the year correctly and on one that it doesn't. Maybe there are two types of release year tag somehow.

For example I am using MP3Tag to do that.

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #919 of 2,409
Didn't work either, it's funny in that I could really couldn't care less about the artwork (most of which displays fine) but I would much rather have all the tag information show up.
I still have this gnawing feeling that I solved this problem 4-5 years ago but I can't remember how.

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #920 of 2,409
Didn't work either, it's funny in that I could really couldn't care less about the artwork (most of which displays fine) but I would much rather have all the tag information show up.
I still have this gnawing feeling that I solved this problem 4-5 years ago but I can't remember how.

Could you please PM me two song files, one that shows the year and one that not?

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #923 of 2,409
Hi, unless I'm mistaken, I can't send any mp3 files through the PM system...

Of course, I was thinking of Google Drive of something.

Up to you.

Aug 16, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #925 of 2,409
No stock of Line Out cable for WM Port anywhere online. Anyone here makes custom ones?

Starting with WM1A/WM1Z in 2016, these devices shouldn't have line out support anymore anyway.

Aug 16, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #927 of 2,409
Should one not desire to send digital out and wish to only amp the lowly Sony A-25/55's analogue out signal, double amping is the only way (from headphone out to external amp's line-in) to do so?

As there is no line out support, yes.

However, I heard only good opinions about this using the WM1A/Z's 3.5mm output, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #929 of 2,409
Still loving my A55. Done the Rockbox thing and it can now drive my Sennheiser HD598sr to pretty high levels. Not got much use for the FM tuner but it's nice to have I suppose. I love the sound character of this little player and it works well with all the wired IEM's in my collection. I was somewhat disappointed to discover that it doesn't play particularly nicely with my Sony WF1000XM3's as it doesn't support AAC CODEC so it reverts to SBC (urgg) but it does play well with my APtX and LDAC enabled headphones no problem.

Currently looking for an inexpensive case - anyone got a spare they don't need anymore?

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #930 of 2,409
Still loving my A55. Done the Rockbox thing and it can now drive my Sennheiser HD598sr to pretty high levels. Not got much use for the FM tuner but it's nice to have I suppose. I love the sound character of this little player and it works well with all the wired IEM's in my collection. I was somewhat disappointed to discover that it doesn't play particularly nicely with my Sony WF1000XM3's as it doesn't support AAC CODEC so it reverts to SBC (urgg) but it does play well with my APtX and LDAC enabled headphones no problem.

Currently looking for an inexpensive case - anyone got a spare they don't need anymore?

WF1000XM3 has LDAC, and the A55 also has LDAC. Is it not working? Or maybe you're using the EQ function on the headphones?

Edit: WH1000XM3 has LDAC, not the smaller ones. My bad :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back