Sony NW-A50 Series
Dec 10, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #616 of 2,411
Actually FM radio was never gone. All regions include FM radio as you can see when scrolling to the bottom of this page: https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Japanese region has a different FM range.

I tried regions E, E2, J and CA - all had radio on board.

There is the newer modell NW-A55L in Europe that has no radio. Maybe you were referring to that modell...?

Dec 10, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #617 of 2,411
Actually FM radio was never gone. All regions include FM radio as you can see when scrolling to the bottom of this page: https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Japanese region has a different FM range.

I tried regions E, E2, J and CA - all had radio on board.

There is the newer modell NW-A55L in Europe that has no radio. Maybe you were referring to that modell...?
I may be abusing your kindness but what made you choose the E region over the other ones?
If we choose a European region is there any risk of a volume cap coming back on our device when we update Sony's software? or do that sort of surprise only come back after a factory reset?
In that case isn't the CA or any other "uncapped" region safer?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #618 of 2,411
Don't worry! I was away from this thread some time and now I'm in some kind of flash or flow wrighting here again...:smile:

Important note! Region E is NOT Europe.
It is Asia / Australia / NZ / Tourist (no idea why tourist, though^^) and it stayed uncapped after I performed an update via Sony's Music Center for PC and also after a factory reset. :v:

My device is imported from HongKong and was on region E by default. E has the most features, except J.

I've heard that besides Europe, Korea is also a capped region. So no need to try CEW and KR.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #621 of 2,411
Don't worry! I was away from this thread some time and now I'm in some kind of flash or flow wrighting here again...:smile:

Important note! Region E is NOT Europe.
It is Asia / Australia / NZ / Tourist (no idea why tourist, though^^) and it stayed uncapped after I performed an update via Sony's Music Center for PC and also after a factory reset. :v:

My device is imported from HongKong and was on region E by default. E has the most features, except J.

I've heard that besides Europe, Korea is also a capped region. So no need to try CEW and KR.
thank you very much!
You nailed it, I thought E was for España!
The tourist thing is weird but may be a smart solution that Sony implemented to avoid new restrictions like the volume cap.
That's very good that a reset or update don't mess that up again, your feedback just saved me some research!
We can only love that E region!
Vielen Dank für Ihren wertvollen Rat
(I hope google didn't mess up that one :) )

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #622 of 2,411
Hhhhmmm, I don't know. I found a site that sounded like there is no tuner on board. But maybe someone else can confirm or deny that...

Always these special region specific versions...:expressionless:

But USB-C is nice, of course...:ok_hand:
the Radio works on the NW-A55L set to region code E
157607315147878929389982146231.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #624 of 2,411
I am not using fiio Headphones :beyersmile: is just an interconnect for my 4.4mm IER-Z1R, als i sont want to wear the MMCX connector off by changing cables

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #625 of 2,411
I explord some radio from hessen. Es klingt sicher besser als in Mexiko, der Land wo ich komme her.

Back to my own music. Lets continue hearing the Lute sonatas of S. L. weiss
15760752818368310001352114107442.jpg

Dec 15, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #629 of 2,411
Here's a opinion by me.. Something I found out to be better.. Worth the try
For all Sony Walkman including those ZX or A series here.. I tried it all.. All stock Walkman with Equalizer turned off sound like the 60hz boosted, 400hz lowered, 2.5khz boosted, 6.3khz boosted
Turning off Equalizer makes music sound thin and piercing. Vocal sound very bad.
The solution I accidentally found was...
Turn off all other built in enhancements like DSEE and DC Phase Linearizer except Equalizer
TURN ON EQUALIZER BUT SET ALL VALUE TO ZERO!
Try it.. You'll notice the bass is not so bloated as before , low mid 400hz become better.. Thicker body Vocal.. The 2.5khz frequency sharpness hiss disappeared too, or else the word T or S sound like a sharpened edge knives sisss... Pain and piercing.

Could someone please confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back