Sony NW-A50 Series
Jul 29, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #451 of 2,411
Good tip on the A45 protectors! Thanks!

I got my cases and screen protectors from Aliexpress, too. Silicon and buttons covered. Just how I like it. But there is one that is more of an open design hardcase. You might like that one. You can also find it on amazon .com if that helps...

German Amazon started selling a silicon case, too. Maybe there is a european version of the a55 coming soon...?:thinking:

Btw. a45 screen protectors fit almost perfectly on the a55 screen. You just may have to cut 0.5 to 1.0 mm per side and that's it...:thumbsup:

Greeez,
Sven

Thanks! This looks like a good one! Will take a look and probably order this !

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #452 of 2,411
Aug 5, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #454 of 2,411

Wi-Fi ... Hmmm... I wonder if this means Walkman is headed back to Android? For me, if it supported Spotify Connect, I would be all set.

Or, even better, maybe a Wi-Fi storage device:

https://www.wd.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-ssd.html#WDBAMJ0020BGY-NESN

Then, I would have a portable solution with my entire collection, high-res and all, and not have to futz with the SD card (speed of loading or size limitations).

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #455 of 2,411
Seems like it would be Android. Guess we will know from IFA in a month or hopefully sooner if some info is leaked.

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #456 of 2,411
I guess it is just as well Sony never released the A55 in North America. The A105 looks like an actual upgrade to the A45. I just hope Sony doesn't force people outside of Asia to wait forever to get their hands on one like they usually do. Maybe Sony will finally give the A series some decent power and doesn't bump the price up over the A55.

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #457 of 2,411
Thinking of replacing my Fiio X5ii with one of the Sonys. Do you think it would have enough power for a DT770-80?

Aug 9, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #458 of 2,411
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #459 of 2,411
These are really for more portable gear- Suspect it would get listenable volumes but probably underdriven. If you want to be sure can always calcuate it https://blog.jdslabs.com/2015/06/power-is-volume/ keep in mind (AFAIK) Sony 35+35mW spec is into 16 ohms.
Yes which assuming it scales proportionally is only 7mW @ 80 ohms, for a 96dB headphone that would be pushing it to the limit. It is a bit discouraging that a number of the more interesting DAPs these days are low powered.

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #461 of 2,411
It's not true to say there are almost no wm-port accessories. They are just few in number and quite specific to Japan.
https://www.sony.jp/walkman/acc/#fragment-2815
Especially, the digital output WMC-NWH10 cable works pretty well with external DACs.
The wm-port is open to 3rd parties, but again, Japan stands at the first point to make a search.

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #462 of 2,411
Has everyone seen this?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-zx500-series#product_details_default

Looks very interesting. Note Wi-Fi + Android and no more Bluetooth receiver function. Nice power specs, if you have a 4mm balanced set of ‘phones.

I have mixed feelings about the Wi-Fi piece: I already have gone through the headache of downloading apps and configuring them (sign-up, streaming quality, et al.). Then, I just use LDAC between my Pixel 2 and the NW-A55. Not sure I want to also setup my streaming apps on a Walkman, as well.

Sep 7, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #463 of 2,411
Has everyone seen this?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-zx500-series#product_details_default

Looks very interesting. Note Wi-Fi + Android and no more Bluetooth receiver function. Nice power specs, if you have a 4mm balanced set of ‘phones.

I have mixed feelings about the Wi-Fi piece: I already have gone through the headache of downloading apps and configuring them (sign-up, streaming quality, et al.). Then, I just use LDAC between my Pixel 2 and the NW-A55. Not sure I want to also setup my streaming apps on a Walkman, as well.

Yeah, nearly an instant buy for me until I saw they removed BT reception (probably accounts for half of my A55's use). Apparently no USB DAC mode either? Hope it has a 'music mode' so users don't always have to directly interact with Android. Three steps forward, two steps back- The Sony Way.

I think might shift some units though, if all the commenters complaining about Sony not having an Android DAP buy one... maybe good time to look for 2nd hand zx300 :grimacing:

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #464 of 2,411
Yeah, nearly an instant buy for me until I saw they removed BT reception (probably accounts for half of my A55's use). Apparently no USB DAC mode either? Hope it has a 'music mode' so users don't always have to directly interact with Android. Three steps forward, two steps back- The Sony Way.

I think might shift some units though, if all the commenters complaining about Sony not having an Android DAP buy one... maybe good time to look for 2nd hand zx300 :grimacing:

Not a replacement for the A55 for sure, speculated price $400 to $500 US. I wish Sony would get a clue and release the A55 to the rest of the world. Same power as A55, much lower battery life, no USB DAC mode at least on 1st release, no bluetooth receiver mode on 1st release. So you are paying for Android (no thanks), wifi and streaming. They took away 2 features I want, chopped the battery life big time and added features I don't want, oh and basically doubled the price.

Come on Sony, I will be happy to buy one of your DAP's, just offer me the one I want and can afford to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back