Sony NW-A50 Series
Jul 4, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #423 of 2,411
Yes, that is what I've read, too. Here in this thread and somewhere else...

But as long as I can't get at least english UI over the J-region I'll stick to region E.

Fortunately I rarely use bluetooth. So not really a problem for me...

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #424 of 2,411
Sony also exited the smartphone market in Canada AFAIK.

Not really chuffed about it anymore, there are so many great options in the A55 price range including my Fiio M7 which I got for significantly less. My A17 was a great starter DAP for me but will go with Fiio and Shanling going forward. Except for my Sony bluetooth speakers for LDAC I won't be looking at Sony anymore. Enjoy your A55's!!

Sony has turned into a lame duck in alot of categories so not surprised they have abandoned Canada on smartphones as well. If you can't compete with the big boys then take your toys and go home Sony.

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #429 of 2,411
Who dares wins!:grin:

But unfortunately no luck. Swap to J region successfully completed. Reset settings. German language preserved. Few new options. But no EQ via bluetooth with my Marshall MID. Neither with Apt-X nor with SBC.:unamused:

New options in settings are:

- Line-In recorder button (with the red dot from the japanese flag for an icon:smile:) in the upper center of the home screen. Plus its settings somewhere in settings menu. You can choose the location for the recording files (internal or SD). You can set the MP3 bitrate and I suppose some seconds silence between the songs or something like that. I can't tell exactly, because those japanese words are not translated properly. I only see some numerics...

- One more pair of headphones added in those settings for noise canceling and clear phase etc...

That's it.:thinking:

EDIT: Same goes for Canada. Japanese bonus settings but no BT EQing... Meh!:unamused:

Regards,
Sven IMG_20190709_132012.jpg IMG_20190709_132028.jpg IMG_20190709_132141.jpg IMG_20190709_132117.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #430 of 2,411
I reconfirm the EQ still doesn't work with bluetooth sending on the Japanese firmware. I can change the EQ and other DSP settings but the sound remains the same on my bluetooth headphones.

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #433 of 2,411
Fair enough, what are you thinking about as replacement?

Im pairing my recently bought A-55 with my recently bought Fiio FA7.
I am pretty happy with the sound signature of the Fiio FA7 since i don't mind a bit extra bass and its still clear enough to enjoy the space in between the instruments, not harsh treble.
But i must say, when i use the "clear audio" sound enhancement, im very surprised.... It feels more detailed, instrument separation, the bass feel tight and punchy AF and overall sound and vocals more on your face, closer, more air in between instruments.
Im scared because im kinda of a silly purist, no EQ etc... Hahaha i had a few sony in the past.
Only disappointment so far for example, "renegades of funk" bass from RATM felt way too resonant and bloated even with no EQ.

Hahah i had the same dilemma. The cleareq can really bring to life some tracks and i find myself making excuses not to use. It does tend to boost the bass and make it 'drip' up into the mids somewhat so that is how i justify not using it.

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #434 of 2,411
Sven,
thanks for taking the courage to try again!
What have you done differently compared to your first try to get german language on the J setting?
Stefan

Hi Stefan.

I did all the same with the same results.
Except for one thing that will finally lead to beeing stuck on the japanese language: the factory reset! Which I did after my first try with only resetting the settings which didn't bring up BT EQ.

As long as you just reset settings all is safe. But should you need to perform a factory reset... Japan is coming!:flag_jp::grin::flag_jp:

I am pretty shure this only applies to using region J. Region CA will be much safer, if you want to try yourself. I guess with the Canadians you'll still be on English after a factory reset...:ok_hand:

@ all: I thought about it. Those reports of actually working EQ via bluetooth were more in the earlier stage of this thread, right?
Maybe those members were still on firmware version 1.0.0 when they changed region...

My a55 came with 1.0.1 pre-installed. Perhaps Sony disabled those capabilities...:thinking:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #435 of 2,411
So I just purchased an A45 and a 400 GB microsd. Only problem is, the device doesn't seem to add all my music when it creates the database. It stops around the 200 GB/1400 album/50k songs mark, leaving about 20k songs on the card but not recognized by the player. (And the card is genuine. Even the songs not recognized by the player are seen and usuable when it's plugged into the PC.) i called Sony support and was told that the US A45 only officially supports 128GB, and the European one goes up to 2TB. Is that even a possibility?

In any event, now I see that the A55 is out, which appears to be an updated model? Does anyone have any experience using a microsd card greater than 200GB in the machine, and it actually building a database past 1400 albums/50k songs? Cause I'll just return the A45 and get the A55 if so. (And I know I'm in the A55 topic but, if anyone has any experience with the A45 on this matter I'd love to hear it! Also I should note that the same thing happened with two separate sandisk 400 GB microsd, both purchased from Amazon.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back