Sony NW-A50 Series
Jun 29, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #406 of 2,411
Hello @ll,
I am planning on getting the a55 and as I understand have to use the Rockbox tool to set the device to Japan region in order to get the most out of it (No volume limit, EQ when using BT).
Now my question: Will it be in Japanese language when it starts or is there an option for booting up in English? Because in Japanese I would be lost.
Thank you!

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #409 of 2,411
Goody,
thanks for your video.
I also watched your nice video with your overall impressions of the A55 compared to the A45.
So it looks like you have been using Sony players for quite a while.
Can you comment on my question above? Have you ever tried to set the device to Japan region e.g. to get the keyboard option for creating playlists in the player?
Thank you

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #410 of 2,411
Yes, the menu and keyboard would remain in English after you do the factory reset. Only some Japanese-exclusive items, such as sound recording, appear in numbers (their menu codes).

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #412 of 2,411
Sharing my NW-A55 Setup
65955735_10214258744562229_8608559386966622208_o.jpg

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #416 of 2,411
fiio e17k, it may not be the best partner for my dap, going to upgrade soon.
Fair enough, what are you thinking about as replacement?

Im pairing my recently bought A-55 with my recently bought Fiio FA7.
I am pretty happy with the sound signature of the Fiio FA7 since i don't mind a bit extra bass and its still clear enough to enjoy the space in between the instruments, not harsh treble.
But i must say, when i use the "clear audio" sound enhancement, im very surprised.... It feels more detailed, instrument separation, the bass feel tight and punchy AF and overall sound and vocals more on your face, closer, more air in between instruments.
Im scared because im kinda of a silly purist, no EQ etc... Hahaha i had a few sony in the past.
Only disappointment so far for example, "renegades of funk" bass from RATM felt way too resonant and bloated even with no EQ.

IMG_20190702_132609.jpg

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #417 of 2,411
Fair enough, what are you thinking about as replacement?

Im pairing my recently bought A-55 with my recently bought Fiio FA7.
I am pretty happy with the sound signature of the Fiio FA7 since i don't mind a bit extra bass and its still clear enough to enjoy the space in between the instruments, not harsh treble.
But i must say, when i use the "clear audio" sound enhancement, im very surprised.... It feels more detailed, instrument separation, the bass feel tight and punchy AF and overall sound and vocals more on your face, closer, more air in between instruments.
Im scared because im kinda of a silly purist, no EQ etc... Hahaha i had a few sony in the past.
Only disappointment so far for example, "renegades of funk" bass from RATM felt way too resonant and bloated even with no EQ.

I'm thinking of Topping NX4 Dac Amp, according to reviews, that dac/amp it gives a more spacious soundstage and cleanliness to the sound, more clean bass, The only issue I have with my current dac/amp, it isn't hires certified yet.

Fiio FA7, that iem's great! been thinking to get one too before. For my a55, I am currently using ang eq (Elevated U-shaped), with only DSEE-HX on, the rest are disabled. I must agree that using clear audio will provide tighter bass and airy sound, but the drawback of using clearaudio, will have recessed mids(specially on male vocals) that setting fixed my mids issue. Previous sony dap's tend to have more warm and dense soundstage, but the A55's were much cleaner and spacier plus the right amount of bass.

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #419 of 2,411
great player!!...i like the versatility Antberg how is the Fiio FA7?

Well, i have been looking for a while to step up my game, but sometimes i had other financial priorities, so i finally tried the old CA Polaris and i loved them straight away.
But since the guy at the shop saw the the price was a bit above my pay grade, recommended me to try the Fiio FA7, and i preferred them because of the treble as i may be a bit sensitive, and the comfort, you can wear them for a looong period of time.

I am not an audiophile but i can say i am satisfied with what i have now. Paired with the A55 i have not got any complaint, the only time is because even i have all FLAC files some of them show some bad recording where the bass gets too resonant, like i mentioned ``Renegades of Funk`` which i love but the recording was way too bassy.

Apart from that,on average and especially with good recordings is very clear with tons of punchy bass ,controlled.Some more experienced members in this community say it bleeds into the mids and it may does a bit,but i barely notice some congestion.To me the degree of airiness and space in between the instruments is good enough, surely not like the CA Andromeda`s (those are monster of detail,separation,clarity and audio visualization).
Random Access Memory - Daft Punk, exceptional such great recording the bass is phenomenal.
Raining Blood - Slayer, wow so good to hear the instruments and vocals clearly, i spent the whole album headbanging around the apartment.
Life for Rent - Dido (i know ,strange combo of choice, but for the record i listen 80 percent of death metal) good vocals and instruments separation.
Jazz At The Pawnshop, hahaha thats so real!
Shine on you crazy diamond - Pink Floyd , speechless on here too
Mezzanine, massive attack
The return of the space cowboy, Jamiroquay
etc..
Listening to Kill`em all - Metallica
Those are just some of the recordings im listening to with my new earphones, still have more to go.

With that said , always keep in mind they are not neutral whatsoever, colored indeed, but if you like to enjoy music rather than analyzing every single detail like a critic, with some freaking punchy bass , and plan to listening to them for a long period of time without worrying to get treble fatigue (they are not shy at all nonetheless) thats the pair for you.
I hope my small ,poorly written but honest opinion was useful.

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #420 of 2,411
Hello @ll,
I am planning on getting the a55 and as I understand have to use the Rockbox tool to set the device to Japan region in order to get the most out of it (No volume limit, EQ when using BT).
Now my question: Will it be in Japanese language when it starts or is there an option for booting up in English? Because in Japanese I would be lost.
Thank you!

Hi!

I've just sent you a pm.
Don't do it! I was stuck in japanese with no option to change language.

I'm back to region E which was default.
I don't know if I could have managed to do so if I didn't have a second a55 here on which I was able to see the required steps to perform the necessary factory reset after typing the command line.

God bless my nephew wanted an a55, too!

Anyone got an idea hhow to get EQ working over bluetooth now...?

Regards,
Sven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back