Sony NW-A50 Series
May 25, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #376 of 2,411
Got the A55 for review a few days ago. So far it seems like a really good little player. Sound quality is good, but I think I would take other players like FiiO or Shanling over the Sony for all the features.

But, what makes the A55 a KILLER player for me is the ClearAudio+ effect because of just how well it pairs with my HD58X. WOW it sounds good, and it makes all other players sound so flat and boring.

May 28, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #378 of 2,411
I've just purchased a Sony NW-A55 from Accessory Jack. I still own the A35 bought a couple of years ago from the same company, so can compare both side by side.

First of all, thank you to Accessory Jack. Delivery was quick and with no extra duty to pay. No volume limits like the EU models. Highly recommended company.

Let me get one thing straight. My major annoyance with the A35 was the fact that only the volume could be changed when listening via bluetooth headphones or speakers.

There was no way to alter the EQ or sound options unless the player was used with a wired headphone.

I Bought the A55 because a member on this forum who purchased one, stated that the sound could now be altered to preference while using bluetooth.

For anyone purchasing this DAP soley for that reason... DO NOT BOTHER! YOU CAN NOT!

EQ and other all ways to alter the sound are STILL DISABLED using bluetooth!

Why? Why? Why? Sony?

In fact, to be blunt, I'm finding very little difference in sound between the two units compared. Sound is still excellent but not a major difference between the two ( I use 1More Triple driver IEM's for wired use and Sony MDR-1ABT Bluetooth headphones for wireless sound )
To be honest, if I'd have read the correct information about the lack of sound controls using bluetooth, I wouldn't have purchased, but Hey Ho...Never mind eh? The A35 Will be used in the car for infotainment.

Anyway, to get back to differences, the unit is slightly more rounded, but if you go for the black version, you will see that its more a bronzy brown black compared to the graphite/carbon black of the A30 series.

Personally, I prefer the old black colour.

I've not used the DAC now built in, but that may appeal to some members.

Vinyl processor function did not make a lot of difference to the sound.

A new 256gb card from Integral worked fine without any problems.

I updated the firmware to 1.01 with ease. Scrolling is fine but sometimes does stutter very slightly. In my opinion, still not as smooth as an iphone.

Battery life seems good.

Anyway, not a good upgrade for me. Hope this helps others thinking of purchasing.

Its still a cracking DAP for the money however, if its your first venture into HD Audio

Tony.
I can change eq preferences in Bluetooth switching to JP region lol

May 28, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #379 of 2,411
May 30, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #381 of 2,411
How does the A45 differ than the A55? Best Buy seems to have the A45 on sale for $189.99 this week.

I am looking to upgrade from a NWZ-A17
I made this upgrade recently.. I bought the A55 and it is a day and night difference with my aging A17. Better sound, better build and better battery as my A17 was losing battery life since its so old. The Bluetooth streaming feature is also a game changer. Forget the 45 and go for the 55 and you won't be sorry. My 2 cents

May 30, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #382 of 2,411
How does the A45 differ than the A55? Best Buy seems to have the A45 on sale for $189.99 this week.

I am looking to upgrade from a NWZ-A17
Does it include tax? I bought my A55 with 10% sale-off, equiv. to 180USD.
BTW, a big plus of the A55 against the A45 is its bluetooth receiving feature. You can stream online music on your phone/tablet/laptop and listen it on A55 to exploit a better DAC and DSP.

May 31, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #383 of 2,411
So almost June and still no A50 series on sony.com and not much activity here either.

I guess the A55 will not be showing up in Canada, just as well I am so tired of Sony leaving us hanging on if and when they will release the A series DAP's here. Will stick with my Fiio M7 and Sony can kiss my business goodbye!!

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #384 of 2,411
... Sony can kiss my business goodbye!!

Well Bye.jpeg

Jun 6, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #385 of 2,411
So, since a few days i have a A55 to replace my A45. So, whats the Difference?

Design: The round edges and the bigger switches are very nice to have. Other then that the outer look is similar to the A45.
UI also is similar to the A45, but the A55 is a lot more responsive and way faster in scrolling then the a45. It its not comparable to my iPhone Xs max, but "good enogh" IMHO.
Sound: i would say similar to the a45, maybe slightly better, but ymmv.
New Functions: Editing Playlists on device, yes, this is a big Plus! Haven't used the new way to receive Bluetooth and see not much use of this for me personally, yes you can also pair a bluetooth remote with this thing, i don't know who will need this, but its onboard. The same for FM-Radio and DAC, both are IMHO useless. Tried DAC, but this works not very well for me in a45 and a55.

Should you upgrade to the a55? I would say only if you get a good Deal on the a55 and/or you are absolutely after the faster UI, Bluetooth Receiver Function, etc.
If you on the fence of buying a a45: Think twice and try to get an a55 instead. Other then that, the a45 is still a very capable device. My 2c.

Jun 8, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #386 of 2,411
I made this upgrade recently.. I bought the A55 and it is a day and night difference with my aging A17. Better sound, better build and better battery as my A17 was losing battery life since its so old. The Bluetooth streaming feature is also a game changer. Forget the 45 and go for the 55 and you won't be sorry. My 2 cents

Does it include tax? I bought my A55 with 10% sale-off, equiv. to 180USD.
BTW, a big plus of the A55 against the A45 is its bluetooth receiving feature. You can stream online music on your phone/tablet/laptop and listen it on A55 to exploit a better DAC and DSP.

Thank you both! I went with the A55 after all. Found a deal for a new red one for $182 shipped. My 512gb card came in today as well. Just waiting on my case and glass screen protector.

I do not really care for the Music Center software compared to Media Go, especially when trying to manage files on the device.

Do you guys recommend flashing the JP firmware?

Jun 8, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #387 of 2,411
Thank you both! I went with the A55 after all. Found a deal for a new red one for $182 shipped. My 512gb card came in today as well. Just waiting on my case and glass screen protector.

I do not really care for the Music Center software compared to Media Go, especially when trying to manage files on the device.

Do you guys recommend flashing the JP firmware?
Congrats you will love it! Great price you got it for.

What advantages does the JP firmware offer? Is that to do with getting around the volume limit on EU devices?

Jun 10, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #389 of 2,411
So almost June and still no A50 series on sony.com and not much activity here either.

I guess the A55 will not be showing up in Canada, just as well I am so tired of Sony leaving us hanging on if and when they will release the A series DAP's here. Will stick with my Fiio M7 and Sony can kiss my business goodbye!!
Sony also exited the smartphone market in Canada AFAIK.

Jun 10, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #390 of 2,411
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back