Sony NW-A50 Series
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #363 of 2,411
For DAP's under the $300 range, would the Sony a55 be the best option in terms of the sound?
Is there a sonic difference between the Zx300 and the a55 that warrant the price difference?
Trying to find a decent sounding DAP in the mid price range, but there's just too many options...

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #364 of 2,411
For DAP's under the $300 range, would the Sony a55 be the best option in terms of the sound?
Is there a sonic difference between the Zx300 and the a55 that warrant the price difference?
Trying to find a decent sounding DAP in the mid price range, but there's just too many options...

Most of those options will probably be good in sound quality if you don't have pre-existing preferences. I think it's worthwhile mainly focusing on the features/specs/uses/form factor that suit the user.

I'm not sure I would consider A55 the best possible SQ (I prefer Opus#1 in price range, but it's large & less fully featured), however, I also don't find the SQ deficient, and as a total package It suits my needs very well.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #365 of 2,411
My sony stopped working randomly. Sat it down on a desk one morning after listening and came back at night for it to not turn on. When plugged into the charger the charging light would come on. Sent it off to sony for repair and they ended up giving me a brand new unit.

Some curiosities. I think the play, back and forward buttons are a touch smaller on the newer revisions and the hold button feels different. Also the charging cable is longer. This model was made in March this year whereas my first device was made sometime last year.

Whilst going back to my iphone 6s during repair it made me realise how superior the sony is. Music honestly sounded like garbage to me. Minimal soundstage with a very rudimentary imaging, horrible actually. Very unrefined sound and poor muddy sound overall. I love the sony just hope it doesn't break again. Will try to find out the cause and let everyone know.

May 3, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #367 of 2,411
My sony stopped working randomly. Sat it down on a desk one morning after listening and came back at night for it to not turn on. When plugged into the charger the charging light would come on. Sent it off to sony for repair and they ended up giving me a brand new unit.

Some curiosities. I think the play, back and forward buttons are a touch smaller on the newer revisions and the hold button feels different. Also the charging cable is longer. This model was made in March this year whereas my first device was made sometime last year.

Whilst going back to my iphone 6s during repair it made me realise how superior the sony is. Music honestly sounded like dog**** to me. Minimal soundstage with a very rudimentary imaging, horrible actually. Very unrefined sound and poor muddy sound overall. I love the sony just hope it doesn't break again. Will try to find out the cause and let everyone know.
The broke one was A45? The A55 is better, congrats. I've used it 6 months, really stable

May 3, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #369 of 2,411
No I had the a55. I mean newer revision as in I think they have made modifications tot he a55 itself. I may be imagining it though.

I had the same thing with my old A17, I sent in my model under warranty to Sony as the battery life dropped below Sony's recommended 50% battery life per charge. They shipped me a new unit instead of replacing the battery. The new unit had a better build quality with a higher quality screen vs the original which came from the first batch Sony shipped.

May 9, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #370 of 2,411
Guys i would like to ask you something.
Im in taipei and the price of the A55 is considerably cheaper than Australia,around 60 usd cheaper.
But although it has LDac the Bluetooth is 4.2 and not 5.0. Would it be a problem or downgrading? I just purchased a pair of sabbat e12 Bluetooth earphones...
Thanks

May 9, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #371 of 2,411
Guys i would like to ask you something.
Im in taipei and the price of the A55 is considerably cheaper than Australia,around 60 usd cheaper.
But although it has LDac the Bluetooth is 4.2 and not 5.0. Would it be a problem or downgrading? I just purchased a pair of sabbat e12 Bluetooth earphones...
Thanks
No its not a downgrade. Walkman A55's price will be different in each country, but they are all the same. In VietNam - my country, A55 has 4.2 bluetooth, and in Australia also
https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/walkman/nw-a50-series/specifications

May 10, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #372 of 2,411
May 11, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #374 of 2,411
How does this compare to the sound quality of the AK Jr? Thinking of getting a small Player but still want good sound quality.

It's been a long time, from memory I think I would maybe slightly prefer sound from AK Jr and IIRC it also had more output ower. On the other hand, IMO it's mostly a matter of preference for sound and, for my uses at least, the A50 is a much better DAP because the interface, features & design.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #375 of 2,411
Changed the location setting to Japan as the rockbox's instruction, now I can select noise-cancelling for the headphone NC33 which came with my old F800. COOL...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back