Sony NW-A50 Series
Jan 17, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #301 of 2,411
Does a silicone case for any of the a40s work with the a50s? I just ordered my new walkman and need to find a case or cover for it but the color selection is pretty limited on the a50s

Jan 17, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #302 of 2,411
Does a silicone case for any of the a40s work with the a50s? I just ordered my new walkman and need to find a case or cover for it but the color selection is pretty limited on the a50s

My *understanding* (translation: I don't have first-hand experience with the 40) is that the A40 and A50 series packages (i.e. Walkman outer body) are identical.

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #303 of 2,411
My *understanding* (translation: I don't have first-hand experience with the 40) is that the A40 and A50 series packages (i.e. Walkman outer body) are identical.

I have been looking at comparison pictures and the A50 s look a bit slimmer because it's rounded on the edges but I'm not sure if that would make any silicone covers not fit. I've heard that the flip cases fit from A30 to A50 just fine, I'm hoping to see if anyone have had both A40 and A50 to tell me if silicone covers would work

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #304 of 2,411

the answer is yes - I have tried it my self, but bear in mind you will not get ultra 100% satisfaction on the cosmetic looks since different form of side buttons and side curves.

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #306 of 2,411
I have been looking at comparison pictures and the A50 s look a bit slimmer because it's rounded on the edges but I'm not sure if that would make any silicone covers not fit. I've heard that the flip cases fit from A30 to A50 just fine, I'm hoping to see if anyone have had both A40 and A50 to tell me if silicone covers would work

When the A50 was announced it was suppose to be a bit slimmer and taller but the actual dimensions are extremely close. A40 dimensions are Approx. 55.9 mm x 97.5 mm x 10.9 mm vs A50 Approx. 55.7mm x 97.3mm x 10.8mm. I don't see why the A40 case wouldn't work okey, the silicon should mold to the curved edges of the A55 pretty well. Might be worth a shot.

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #307 of 2,411
Hey there everyone
Im kinda new to this and was hoping to get some help deciding on upgrading from my astell and kern jr to the a55

I pretty much love my a&k jr it has been a blast for the past couple of years but the battery is a huge let down and the UI is very much outdated
But I gotten used to it and it still sounds great...

I have audio technica m50x and it gets pretty loud with the a&k jr

Sometimes i work in very loud environment and i put the volume close to all the way high

Now my question is

Should i upgrade to the A55 or stay with my a&k jr?

Is there is an upgrade in power from the a&k jr to the a55 ? I just dont wanna lose power when upgrading or my m50x doesn't sound as loud as it is with my a&k jr?

Thanks for your help in advance

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #308 of 2,411
I can't recommend to use a silicone case from A40 for A50. The geometry and buttons are different.
Have had the A40 and now the A50 and have orderned a new case to have a perfect fit.
If you can accept that the silicon case not perfectly match than you can go for an A40 case.

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #309 of 2,411
I can't recommend to use a silicone case from A40 for A50. The geometry and buttons are different.
Have had the A40 and now the A50 and have orderned a new case to have a perfect fit.
If you can accept that the silicon case not perfectly match than you can go for an A40 case.

Good to know I wasn't aware of the difference in the buttons from one to the other just the rounded edges on the A50.

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #310 of 2,411
So Sony removed the A30 and A40 from the sony.com site for awhile. Hope was they would soon add the A50 but now the A40 and A30 are listed again.

Sony usually has their new DAP's listed by now so not sure what this means for availability of the A50. Sorry Sony but no news is not good news in this case and I may have to move on to the Fiio M6.

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #311 of 2,411
Yeah, the market is way too competitive nowadays for them to delay a product that has already been release in certain region with 5-6 months. At this rate by the time the a50 is released globally, the'll release of the new line-up will be even nearer. Personally, with this year being the walkman's 40th anniversary, I've already decided to skip the a50 and wait until the end of the summer for the new models and hopefully a coll anniversary release that will be more worth it than just a faster UI.

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #312 of 2,411
So Sony removed the A30 and A40 from the sony.com site for awhile. Hope was they would soon add the A50 but now the A40 and A30 are listed again.

Sony usually has their new DAP's listed by now so not sure what this means for availability of the A50. Sorry Sony but no news is not good news in this case and I may have to move on to the Fiio M6.
That is quite bizarre. It has been in mainstream Australian retail for a while now and is on the official Sony Australian site. Furthermore, a lot of the press and media around the device seems to originate from Oceania in places such as Indonesia and the Philippines and I have barely seen much Western press covering it. I suspect Sony intended to go for a worldwide release however financial circumstances hindered their marketing and as such, instead of opting for a worldwide runout they could have kept it localised to the oceanic region. This would also suggest they feel the device for all intents and purposes is too similar to the nw-a45 (which it is albeit minuscule dimensional changes, buttons, BT receiver function) to warrant such an expense and as already suggested by @kova4a perhaps they have something special planned for the 40th anniversary release that they feel could justify a worldwide marketing push.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #315 of 2,411
Hi everyone. Just bought an Nw-a55 along with the CKS-NWA40 case and really loving it so far. Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to solve a "Creating Database" boot loop (While using SD card for storage) by deleting all .log, .txt, and .m3u files from the library. When it was stuck in the loop I would remove the SD card and let it reboot. Then I would just use an SD card reader with my computer to remove the files. Thought it might be a use to anyone else with the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back