Sony NW-A50 Series
Dec 15, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #181 of 2,411
All Sony smartphones (Snapdragon version) also come with S-Master amplifier. It is same as in A35/45/55 as far as I know.

Maybe you are thinking of S-Force, their surround DSP? They also advertise phones with ClearAudio and DSEE DSPs.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #182 of 2,411
Cool, sounds like I made the right choice with my M0. If I recall the R3 does not support LDAC, correct? If not then score another point for the M0

I guess that depends on your budget, I am looking at the Shanling M5S possibly once it comes to Canada. It is about $200 more than the A55 but it has more power, good battery life at 17 hours, and wifi if that floats your boat? Check out the M5S thread if it sounds like and option.

I searched online a while ago and found iBasso DX150 suit my taste however it's basically out of my budget. Hopefully I can see a used iBasso DX150 about $300 used or I'm thinking about a Fiio M9 but it's currently out of stock here. Or how about Fiio X5III? Maybe a used one as well. Is there a big improvement of those DAPs I've mentioned compared to Sony NW-A55? I'll be coming from xDuoo XD-03 which I somehow found it neutral/bright.

Dec 16, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #184 of 2,411
Cool, sounds like I made the right choice with my M0. If I recall the R3 does not support LDAC, correct? If not then score another point for the M0

actually R3 does support LDAC, they updated it recently..as i said R3 is great if using only Bluetooth, but i think sony a55 will be better(bigger screen+better UI)
other than that i feel m0 sound better wired in, fuller sound and more meaty bass and micro details comes out beautifully...one problem tho, the small screen needs time to get used to.

Dec 16, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #185 of 2,411
actually R3 does support LDAC, they updated it recently..as i said R3 is great if using only Bluetooth, but i think sony a55 will be better(bigger screen+better UI)
other than that i feel m0 sound better wired in, fuller sound and more meaty bass and micro details comes out beautifully...one problem tho, the small screen needs time to get used to.

Your comments lead me to believe that you have not listened to an NW-A55, yet are making subjective sound comparisons with other DAPs.

I appreciate that there are Shanling fans on this thread, but it's in bad taste to post sound impressions of products with which you have not personally experienced.

This might be a better thread for you:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...ransport-and-ess-sabre-es9218p-fw-2-2.874859/

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #186 of 2,411
Your comments lead me to believe that you have not listened to an NW-A55, yet are making subjective sound comparisons with other DAPs.

I appreciate that there are Shanling fans on this thread, but it's in bad taste to post sound impressions of products with which you have not personally experienced.

This might be a better thread for you:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...ransport-and-ess-sabre-es9218p-fw-2-2.874859/

if your read previous posts you would know i was comparing between m0 and R3 , which i own both...and has nothing to do with A55( which clearly i don't have as you noticed).

i don't need to own A55 to know its Bluetooth capabilities, had xperia phone before and it was good, surely walkman would perform better.

one thing i wish from the A series is more output power..oh well

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #187 of 2,411

Yeah the screen is a big adjustment to get use to, especially coming from a non-touchscreen DAP like my A17. Many a time I would pull my A17 out of the drawer as I didn't want to deal with the M0 touchscreen. After using it for almost 5 months I would say I am doing pretty well with the touchscreen. I can now get to a specific track in a few seconds vs not at all initially.

At this point it will take a pretty impressive $300.00 DAP to get me to switch from my M0.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #188 of 2,411
Dec 20, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #189 of 2,411
There is a firmware update for the 50 Series players, available from support sites in Asia.

https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/support/digital-music-players-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a55

I downloaded and tried the macOS version; of course, it failed to update. I would be curious to know if anyone else is able to update.

Windows version worked fine for me on Win7. IDK how OSX works but might need to make sure you have Android USB drivers installed and don't have any other android ADB devices connected (my pc allows only one at a time for some reason) and nothing is accessing the storage (and per instructions that your account has admin privileges). US site also has a55 firmware, maybe that will work better? (wonder if it's safe to assume this means A55 will be sold here sometime)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #190 of 2,411
Also for me it worked fine on Win7. The time error displayed on several mp3 tracks has been corrected. Fixed automatically at first boot up. Iuse a 256GB extension and have the feeling that boot up time has improved by some seconds. The creation of the database seems faster but I can be wrong

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #191 of 2,411
I think A55 is the best DAP at this price range.
1. WM port makes transfer process rapidly (17-30mb/s)
2. Fast charging (about 2h30), amazing battery life.
3. Many sound effects, easy to use, smooth UI, touch screen
3. Beautiful, great build, easy to buy cases, tempered glass, contact for warranty
4. Really good sound, clean, strong, neat, easy to choose headphone.

But phone out should has more power, and line out cable should be in the box or sold at Sony center.
48392818_358976758011313_3521910085079007232_n.jpg

view

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #192 of 2,411
Oh I love sony products, but the stupid lack of audiobook/podcast support means I'll never get another one without it.

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #195 of 2,411
I searched online a while ago and found iBasso DX150 suit my taste however it's basically out of my budget. Hopefully I can see a used iBasso DX150 about $300 used or I'm thinking about a Fiio M9 but it's currently out of stock here. Or how about Fiio X5III? Maybe a used one as well. Is there a big improvement of those DAPs I've mentioned compared to Sony NW-A55? I'll be coming from xDuoo XD-03 which I somehow found it neutral/bright.

Forget clumsy DX150. It's bulk, heavy, GUI works extremely slow, sound is muddy and flat (tried AMP6 and AMP7). Sony in comparsion is small, speedy, sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back