Sony NW-A50 Series
Dec 9, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #166 of 2,411
This is just an observation on my part as someone who has the A17 I would have liked some more compelling upgrades to entice me to buy the A55. I am not saying it isn't a good product just that I don't agree with giving a new stock number each time to a physically unchanged device.

I am speaking more in terms of the external appearance, the screen, form factor are the same. When the A50 was first mentioned and I saw pictures I thought maybe they had used an A45 picture by mistake. Sony's pattern was to change the design every couple of iterations like the A10/A20 to the A30/A40 so when the A50 was announced I expected to see a newer external design. I mean sure there are a few new features but the hardware inside and out is largely the same. Inside, same memory configurations, power, bluetooth version etc... which is where I would want to see the upgrades along with a couple of new features. None of the new features are of use to me so if I had the A45 I would not have upgraded to the A55. Plus I really needed to see an upgrade in power as the A35 I demoed a couple of years ago didn't have enough power for me and the A55 has the same power, was hoping they would bump it up to 50 mW at least.

My tiny Shanling M0 is a much better match for me power wise and has all the features I need including ogg vorbis support. I would consider going back to a Sony DAP in a heartbeat if and when they up the power output. I got tired of stacking an external amp with my A17 which is why I opted for the Shanling M0. Super portable and enough power to handle my headphones and then some. I much prefer the completeness of the Sony DAP's on initial release vs the Chinese DAP model of releasing new features and bug fixes constantly after release and having to wait months for all the firmware updates before the unit is fully capable.

The other problem I have with the Sony A series is they have become very scarce in Canada. I like to demo my DAP's before I buy and I can't do that with Sony anymore as no retail store carry them.

I do like the shanling for it's size, but at the same time the size is a little irritating. A dap that was halfway between the hiby r6 which is the main one I use and the m0 would be perfect for me. That said until one or the other of shanling or sony (re)introduce dedicated audiobook support the hiby remains my main player for good or ill.

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #167 of 2,411
The too tiny screen and the dearth of hardware buttons on the M0 just kills it for me. Otherwise, I think it’s superb. But usability for me is a no go because of the tiny touch screen and lack of enough hardware buttons.

Yeah it took me a long time to get use to it but I pretty much have the hang of using it. I have large hands and I am older so it was a big adjustment for me. I think once they port some of the Mtouch 2.0 OS from the M5S to the M0 it should become even easier to use.

I would have preferred a larger screen definitely but I wanted LDAC and ogg support and a unit with enough power in my price range. The M0 was simply the best option at the time that offered all 3. I am hoping Sony supports ogg in the future as I have alot of songs in that format and don't want to have to recode them all.

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #168 of 2,411
I do like the shanling for it's size, but at the same time the size is a little irritating. A dap that was halfway between the hiby r6 which is the main one I use and the m0 would be perfect for me. That said until one or the other of shanling or sony (re)introduce dedicated audiobook support the hiby remains my main player for good or ill.

Oh I understand completely it drove me nuts at first but after a few months playing with it I got the hang of using it, especially the small touchscreen. I can make do until the next Shanling model comes out with a bigger screen. I have to say for the price the features and sound quality it is hard to beat and though not as good as A55 the battery life is pretty good to. I thought about the M5S which is out of my price range but am tempted. Unfortunately like most Chinese DAP's it has some issues on first release, so I will wait a few months before giving it a look.

I actually started looking at the Hiby R3 but the only dealer in Canada I can find that sells it is out of stock. I don't like buying DAP's without demoing first and that would not be an option for the R3 and it has lower battery life than the M0. No I think at this point it will be the M0 for me until something more compelling with similar features and a larger screen comes out.

Definitely wish more DAP's were readily available in Canada like Hiby but the situation seems to be getting better slowly.

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #170 of 2,411
Same boat here, what made you guys skip on the R3?

Since I can't audition either I considered other factors. Sony has been making DAP's much longer and make very solid products. The A55 has more than 3x the battery life, I won't consider any DAP these days without at least 15 to 16 hours like my M0.

Dec 12, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #171 of 2,411
I sort of considered the r3 based on size. I can use it as a back up to my M0 at the gym vs the a55. A55 looks pretty hefty?

How is the sound comparison vs M0?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #172 of 2,411
I sort of considered the r3 based on size. I can use it as a back up to my M0 at the gym vs the a55. A55 looks pretty hefty?

How is the sound comparison vs M0?

I would love to compare the two but the A55 is not available in North America yet and I won't be able to demo one without buying one when it is.

Dec 13, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #173 of 2,411
If not Sony NW-A55, is there any alternative you could recommend which is warm sounding? Or if I'll considering getting a "mid-fi" graded DAP, which would you recommend which is warm sounding? Is it really better compared to "entry-level" graded DAP like this Sony NW-A55? Thanks!

Dec 13, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #174 of 2,411
i wouldn't get hiby R3, overpriced IMHO.
gets all the features right and really nice screen..but sound is just average, great with Bluetooth tho and digital out.
if anyone planing to use HO or LO i suggest going with shanling m0 instead...if using only Bluetooth then R3 is not bad, Sony most likely better regarding Bluetooth.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #175 of 2,411
gets all the features right and really nice screen..but sound is just average, great with Bluetooth tho and digital out.
if anyone planing to use HO or LO i suggest going with shanling m0 instead...if using only Bluetooth then R3 is not bad, Sony most likely better regarding Bluetooth.

Cool, sounds like I made the right choice with my M0. If I recall the R3 does not support LDAC, correct? If not then score another point for the M0
If not Sony NW-A55, is there any alternative you could recommend which is warm sounding? Or if I'll considering getting a "mid-fi" graded DAP, which would you recommend which is warm sounding? Is it really better compared to "entry-level" graded DAP like this Sony NW-A55? Thanks!

I guess that depends on your budget, I am looking at the Shanling M5S possibly once it comes to Canada. It is about $200 more than the A55 but it has more power, good battery life at 17 hours, and wifi if that floats your boat? Check out the M5S thread if it sounds like and option.

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #176 of 2,411
With all due respect the R3 is a fantastic device, you can find one often on ebay for the price it "Should" be. Around $160 to $185, nothing more. It's a great player if you want a small form factor, good OS, portability, and streaming apps like Tidal/Spotify. The M0 is unmatched in those key features minus the streaming services. I love it and for the price there is no competition. Oh wait I'm in the Sony thread ... .lol

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #177 of 2,411
I bit the bullet and bought the A55 this week. My A17 battery seems to be dying quicker. So, my plan is to use the A17 for Podcasts only and switch to the A55 for daily use. I have the M0, but will use that primarily in the gym due to low battery life.

Dec 14, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #178 of 2,411
With all due respect the R3 is a fantastic device, you can find one often on ebay for the price it "Should" be. Around $160 to $185, nothing more. It's a great player if you want a small form factor, good OS, portability, and streaming apps like Tidal/Spotify. The M0 is unmatched in those key features minus the streaming services. I love it and for the price there is no competition. Oh wait I'm in the Sony thread ... .lol

I guess what turns me off the R3 big time is the terrible battery life at only 10 hours. For such a low power device I would expect much better battery life. The M0 has more power single ended and gets 15 hours. If 10 hours is best case how much does this drop when using bluetooth and the balanced connection? Just can't consider it for that reason alone no matter how good it is. Plus I don't need streaming services so the M0 is simply a much better fit for me power, feature set and battery life wise.

If I had to choose between the A55 and R3 again it would have to be the A55. 3x+ the battery life and almost as much power single ended and not paying for features I don't need.

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #179 of 2,411
All Sony smartphones (Snapdragon version) also come with S-Master amplifier. It is same as in A35/45/55 as far as I know.

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #180 of 2,411
All Sony smartphones (Snapdragon version) also come with S-Master amplifier. It is same as in A35/45/55 as far as I know.

Where did you get this info from? AFAIK none of Xperia devices have a dedicated audio chip, let alone s-master.

You can also tell by the sq. There's just something missing when you compare xperia to a dedicated dap,.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back