Sony NW-A50 Series
Nov 25, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #152 of 2,411
hi guys back looking at a new dap :beyersmile:

is there any difference in specs between the 16gb/32gb/64gb apart from the memory size?

I don't think so. The differences are: 1. onboard flash storage and 2. bundling with noise canceling ear buds.

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #153 of 2,411
hi guys back looking at a new dap :beyersmile:

is there any difference in specs between the 16gb/32gb/64gb apart from the memory size?

The versions with HN on the end of the product number come with IEMs, the versions without don't.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #155 of 2,411
thanks guys. and gapless is supported? i'm using a xperia x compact at the moment and the sony 'music' default app on the phone does gapless so hoping i'll get gapless on the a55

Yes.

Nov 25, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #156 of 2,411
fantastic thanks krutsch.

thinking of ordering with accessoryjack or one of the japanese sellers on ebay, are any of the sony's made in japan still or is it all elsewhere? guess i'm wondering if i'll get a 'made in japan' version from the japanese sellers

Nov 25, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #157 of 2,411
fantastic thanks krutsch.

thinking of ordering with accessoryjack or one of the japanese sellers on ebay, are any of the sony's made in japan still or is it all elsewhere? guess i'm wondering if i'll get a 'made in japan' version from the japanese sellers

See the photo below: I ordered mine from Accessory Jack and it says: Made in Malaysia

IMG_20181013_134451.jpeg

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #159 of 2,411
This player seems almost the same as the NW-A35.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #160 of 2,411
This player seems almost the same as the NW-A35.

Yeah I love how Sony keeps updating the model number with minimal changes to the design. I mean the A30/40/50 should really have been the A30A, A30B, A30C or maybe A30, A30-I, A30-II which better denotes the minor updates between each successive model. Save the new stock numbers for significant changes between models. When updating the stock number the buyer expects to see significant changes and ends up disappointed when there isn't much difference.

Dec 8, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #162 of 2,411
Yeah I love how Sony keeps updating the model number with minimal changes to the design.

Not sure that's fair. If you read my earlier posts, the addition of a bluetooth receiver function was enough to trigger my purchase. Yes, I know other DAPs already have this, but I would highlight that plus the addition of new DSP functions and a faster processor as significant (or improved UI code ... not sure which, but swiping through large collections is pretty quick).

But here's the super great part: no one is forcing you to upgrade to a newer model. :beerchug:

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #163 of 2,411
Not sure that's fair. If you read my earlier posts, the addition of a bluetooth receiver function was enough to trigger my purchase. Yes, I know other DAPs already have this, but I would highlight that plus the addition of new DSP functions and a faster processor as significant (or improved UI code ... not sure which, but swiping through large collections is pretty quick).

But here's the super great part: no one is forcing you to upgrade to a newer model. :beerchug:

Yeah, and not all of the DAPs that do have Bluetooth receive functionality support codecs beyond SBC. And I'm not sure if any other ones in this price range support AAC and LDAC in receiver mode? I have the A35 so for me it's a substantial upgrade to the A55. The A35 doesn't have plain ol' aptX in transmission mode, only LDAC, much less AAC or aptX HD in transmission mode, and of course A35 has no receiver mode at all. Also, the A35 doesn't have USB DAC functionality. I'm definitely considering the upgrade.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #164 of 2,411

This is just an observation on my part as someone who has the A17 I would have liked some more compelling upgrades to entice me to buy the A55. I am not saying it isn't a good product just that I don't agree with giving a new stock number each time to a physically unchanged device.

I am speaking more in terms of the external appearance, the screen, form factor are the same. When the A50 was first mentioned and I saw pictures I thought maybe they had used an A45 picture by mistake. Sony's pattern was to change the design every couple of iterations like the A10/A20 to the A30/A40 so when the A50 was announced I expected to see a newer external design. I mean sure there are a few new features but the hardware inside and out is largely the same. Inside, same memory configurations, power, bluetooth version etc... which is where I would want to see the upgrades along with a couple of new features. None of the new features are of use to me so if I had the A45 I would not have upgraded to the A55. Plus I really needed to see an upgrade in power as the A35 I demoed a couple of years ago didn't have enough power for me and the A55 has the same power, was hoping they would bump it up to 50 mW at least.

My tiny Shanling M0 is a much better match for me power wise and has all the features I need including ogg vorbis support. I would consider going back to a Sony DAP in a heartbeat if and when they up the power output. I got tired of stacking an external amp with my A17 which is why I opted for the Shanling M0. Super portable and enough power to handle my headphones and then some. I much prefer the completeness of the Sony DAP's on initial release vs the Chinese DAP model of releasing new features and bug fixes constantly after release and having to wait months for all the firmware updates before the unit is fully capable.

The other problem I have with the Sony A series is they have become very scarce in Canada. I like to demo my DAP's before I buy and I can't do that with Sony anymore as no retail store carry them.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #165 of 2,411
The too tiny screen and the dearth of hardware buttons on the M0 just kills it for me. Otherwise, I think it’s superb. But usability for me is a no go because of the tiny touch screen and lack of enough hardware buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back