Sony NW-A50 Series
Mar 24, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,382 of 2,411
When I use Bluetooth from a PC to SONY NW-A55 with Sony's bluetooth receiver, Is a55 using the DAC or just when I connect via PC USB cable?
It is the A55 dac as the BT signal is a digital signal just like when you use the usb cable

Mar 24, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,384 of 2,411
When I use Bluetooth from a PC to SONY NW-A55 with Sony's bluetooth receiver, Is a55 using the DAC or just when I connect via PC USB cable?
It uses the DAC. But if the music on your PC is lossless, Bluetooth encoding will compress it. If you use the USB it won’t.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #1,385 of 2,411
Thanks for your reply. So the quality of sound using DAC PC USB or Bluetooth receiver is the same?
Depends what codec the BT connection uses and if your music is compressed, lossless or hiress. Whether you can actually hear the difference is another matter

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #1,386 of 2,411
Thanks for your reply. So the quality of sound using DAC PC USB or Bluetooth receiver is the same?
I just put some additions to above comments. The sound latency in USB DAC function is too high and unsuitable for playing videos (unless you set audio shift on the player) or gaming. It's only good for music. In bluetooth receiver mode, it's less lagging still far from ideal to games.

Mar 26, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #1,387 of 2,411
No pre-existing database and cold boot w/ 18K tracks (mostly Redbook FLAC, with a mix of high-res FLAC, as well as AAC and MP3): 11:32

Of course, a handful of albums with progressive JPEG -encoded album art. Cleaning those up now, but c'mon Sony - what's wrong with progressive JPEGs?

Still, cool that it all works.

By the way, I formatted the microSD card with the Walkman, which turned out to be exFat.
Hello sir,

Did you remember how you "cleaned" the album art files to be compatible with the A55? They need to be non-interlaced I think. Is there a software to do that?

Thank you!

Mar 26, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #1,388 of 2,411
If you install Mr Walkmans firmware, the A55 will be able to read interlaced jpeg files in the process.

If you don't want to go down that road (you should!) I am not aware of any software that could automatize the extracting->re-saving in non-interlaced->re-embedding the cover art.

Manually any tag editor should be able to extract the cover art, which you can re-save in most photo editing software (make sure you save them as non-interlaced, heh) and the same tag editor can embed it gain. Tedious work.

Mar 26, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #1,389 of 2,411
If you install Mr Walkmans firmware, the A55 will be able to read interlaced jpeg files in the process.

If you don't want to go down that road (you should!) I am not aware of any software that could automatize the extracting->re-saving in non-interlaced->re-embedding the cover art.

Manually any tag editor should be able to extract the cover art, which you can re-save in most photo editing software (make sure you save them as non-interlaced, heh) and the same tag editor can embed it gain. Tedious work.
Weird, because I have the Mr walkman firmware (a50z) and I just upload every album art possible with a Tag Editor. I'd say 20% of the album art are working. I will have to check which are working and which are not and compare them. Do you know if there is a specific file size to have?

Mar 26, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #1,390 of 2,411
I sold my A55 because the small screen and buttons, way too small. Ended oft n making wrong pressings.

glad i got an A25 instead. Still a aiting for it to arrive

Mar 26, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,391 of 2,411
Weird, because I have the Mr walkman firmware (a50z) and I just upload every album art possible with a Tag Editor. I'd say 20% of the album art are working. I will have to check which are working and which are not and compare them. Do you know if there is a specific file size to have?
If you are using iTunes album art might not actually be embedded in the files but only exist inside the iTunes database

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,392 of 2,411
If you are using iTunes album art might not actually be embedded in the files but only exist inside the iTunes database
I used TagScanner, great software. I will try mp3tag tonight. Maybe the album art are too big?

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,393 of 2,411
I used TagScanner, great software. I will try mp3tag tonight. Maybe the album art are too big?
I’ve had art up to 1.500x1.500 but normally use 300x300. I have all in baseline but all the MrWalkman fw should also handle progressive. I always use mp3tag

Mar 26, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #1,394 of 2,411
Hello Guys,

I also had a covert art issue: covert arts in iTunes that are saved as progressive JPG are not visible on NW55.

Here is python3 script (based on this project: https://pypi.org/project/music-tag/) that should do the trick.

If you run the code below inside the MUSIC folder of NW55 it will loop over all your music files and:
  1. open the file metadata,
  2. extract the cover art,
  3. convert it as non progressive JPG
  4. put the convert image back in the file metadata.
Enjoy the cover's!

Best,

BenGast

Python:
import sys

import os
from PIL import Image, ImageFile
import io
import music_tag

ImageFile.MAXBLOCK = 2**20

music_formats = ['.aac','.aiff','.dsf','.flac',
                '.m4a','.mp3','.ogg','.opus','.wav','.wv']

for d in [x[0] for x in os.walk('.')]:

____files = os.listdir(d)

____print(d.split('/')[-1])
____for file_name in files:

________if  True in [ file_name.endswith(form) for form in music_formats]:
____________print(file_name)
____________f = music_tag.load_file(d+'/'+file_name)

____________title_item = f['title']

____________art = f['artwork']
____________if art is None:
________________print("Artwork missing for: ", d, file_name, title_item )
____________else:
________________art_data =  art.first

________________if art_data is None:
____________________print("Artwork missing for: ", d, file_name, title_item )
________________else:
____________________art_data =  art_data.data
____________________image = Image.open(io.BytesIO(art_data))
________________try:
____________________image.save(d+'/'+'non_prog.jpg',"JPEG",quality=80, optimize=True, progressive=False)
________________except:
____________________image = image.convert('RGB')
____________________image.save(d+'/'+'non_prog.jpg',"JPEG",quality=80, optimize=True, progressive=False)
________________with open(d+'/'+'non_prog.jpg', 'rb') as img_in:
____________________f['artwork'] = img_in.read()

________________os.remove(d+'/'+'non_prog.jpg')

____________f.save()

Warning : This script is modifying all the cover art the music files contained in the folder wher you run it. Please don't blame me if all cover arts are messed up afterwards... I suggest to try to run it first inside a folder containing a sample of test files.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,395 of 2,411
Hello Guys,

I also had a covert art issue: covert arts in iTunes that are saved as progressive JPG are not visible on NW55.

Here is python3 script (based on this project: https://pypi.org/project/music-tag/) that should do the trick.

If you run the code below inside the MUSIC folder of NW55 it will loop over all your music files and:
  1. open the file metadata,
  2. extract the cover art,
  3. convert it as non progressive JPG
  4. put the convert image back in the file metadata.
Enjoy the cover's!

Best,

BenGast

Python:
import sys

import os
from PIL import Image, ImageFile
import io
import music_tag

ImageFile.MAXBLOCK = 2**20

music_formats = ['.aac','.aiff','.dsf','.flac',
                '.m4a','.mp3','.ogg','.opus','.wav','.wv']

for d in [x[0] for x in os.walk('.')]:

____files = os.listdir(d)

____print(d.split('/')[-1])
____for file_name in files:

________if  True in [ file_name.endswith(form) for form in music_formats]:
____________print(file_name)
____________f = music_tag.load_file(d+'/'+file_name)

____________title_item = f['title']

____________art = f['artwork']
____________if art is None:
________________print("Artwork missing for: ", d, file_name, title_item )
____________else:
________________art_data =  art.first

________________if art_data is None:
____________________print("Artwork missing for: ", d, file_name, title_item )
________________else:
____________________art_data =  art_data.data
____________________image = Image.open(io.BytesIO(art_data))
________________try:
________________except:
____________________image = image.convert('RGB')
________________with open(d+'/'+'non_prog.jpg', 'rb') as img_in:
____________________f['artwork'] = img_in.read()

________________os.remove(d+'/'+'non_prog.jpg')

____________f.save()

Warning : This script is modifying all the cover art the music files contained in the folder wher you run it. Please don't blame me if all cover arts are messed up afterwards... I suggest to try to run it first inside a folder containing a sample of test files.
The MrWalkman modded fw are supposed to display progressive jpg album art

Users who are viewing this thread

Back