Sony NW-A50 Series
May 10, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #856 of 2,411
IMG_20200510_134336.jpeg

Made some changes to my office head-fi rig, to clean-up some desk space and simplify things.

Anyway, I changed over to an old NuForce Icon HDP + LPS-1 (NuForce's linear power supply) using the headphone out at 100/120 volume into the RCA analog inputs on the head amp.

Curiously, I found myself experiencing some audio fatigue with this playback chain (listening with HD-660S 'phones, which I think are wonderful all-arounders).

Then I remember my initial listening impressions with classical strings playback - same thing with my Shure SE535LTD IEMs. So, I enabled the "Vinyl Processor":

"Give every track the sound of vinyl with Vinyl Processor"

"Get lost again in the richness of the melodies and dynamics of your favorite albums by giving back the character of vinyl to your digital tracks. Subtle reproduction of low-frequency tone-arm resonance, surface and scratch noise, and resonance on the vinyl deliver an authentic listening experience."

... I don't know about all of that, but I will say this: audio fatigue is gone with that setting enabled. I wonder what is really happening in my case.

May 11, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #857 of 2,411
I use Roon extensively and with Sonos speakers sprinkled throughout my house.

Roon will downsample and dither your high-res content as needed to play flawlessly on Sonos. I can attest that this both works well and sounds good.
Thanks mate, did a research. Seems like either plex media server or a bitorrent for roon with a crack should do the trick

May 11, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #858 of 2,411
Thanks mate, did a research. Seems like either plex media server or a bitorrent for roon with a crack should do the trick

I don't think you will find such a thing, as Roon requires an active connection to their back-end for metadata updates.

But even if such a thing exists, don't be an a$$hole by stealing the extensive work the Roon team does in support of their product.

May 11, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #859 of 2,411
I don't think you will find such a thing, as Roon requires an active connection to their back-end for metadata updates.

But even if such a thing exists, don't be an a$$hole by stealing the extensive work the Roon team does in support of their product.
I can't afford the stupid American way of life pay to stream or use every month. That's one point that I think many folks are so dumb, spending money on streaming when you can pay only once for a flac digital download

For metadata updates who cares? I've tagged my library with utmost attention and have all my files read-only.

Ah and they have no headquarter, how cool, they're not a company then they cannot be sued, nothing they can evade tax and so on with so easy as no having an address.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #861 of 2,411
I can't afford the stupid American way of life pay to stream or use every month. That's one point that I think many folks are so dumb, spending money on streaming when you can pay only once for a flac digital download

Yeah... but that's not what you asked about, with respect to Roon.

You asked about transcoding/down-sampling/dithering for compatibility with Sonos speakers.

May 12, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #863 of 2,411
I spoke with my husband. He doesn't want to turn the PC on in order to just play music (sight... german's are like that so money saving) that having the pc on for play to the sonos, downsampling my Hi-res crap wasted electricity.

He told me a NAS compatible with Alexa or of I can say "alexa.play yo-yo ma to Wohnzimmer" it will play on the sonos directly from the NAS without pc. He told me kein roon thing pay 9.99 a month to use american stuff... and when I said plex? He said you don't listen or? Are you immer daydreaming like an autistic I said NO PC ON

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #865 of 2,411
I am still debating whether to sell my A55 or not, has not gotten any use since December

May 23, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #868 of 2,411
I spoke with my husband. He doesn't want to turn the PC on in order to just play music (sight... german's are like that so money saving) that having the pc on for play to the sonos, downsampling my Hi-res crap wasted electricity.

He told me a NAS compatible with Alexa or of I can say "alexa.play yo-yo ma to Wohnzimmer" it will play on the sonos directly from the NAS without pc. He told me kein roon thing pay 9.99 a month to use american stuff... and when I said plex? He said you don't listen or? Are you immer daydreaming like an autistic I said NO PC ON

:D Wish somebody like you could do an XKCD or AbstruseGoose kind of comic for audiophiles. You are good. :)

sandwich.png

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #870 of 2,411
Hi guys. I have an NW A55 series player and I have a question. Is this player compatible with hybrid headphones (power and impedance) ? I want to buy headphones with these parameters:

Sensitivity 108dB SPL/mW Frequency range 20Hz-20KHz Impedance(IKHz) 8.6-9.5 Driver 1HI+ 1MID+1DD Noise isolation 26dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back