Sony NW-A50 Series
Apr 28, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #841 of 2,411
That's good to hear - makes a nice change from the Android-based players!

Indeed! I have a Shanling m0 and charge it about once a week, while I haven't charged the NW-A55 since I bought it a few months ago. The proprietary cable was a bit of a hangup for me, but the one advantage is a larger power draw that charges the device fast. So by the time I've connected the Sony to my PC and transfer some new albums, its charged back up.

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #842 of 2,411
Just spotted this is available on Amazon for a really good price - is the ~45 hour battery life being touted reasonable?

More or less- Haven't properly measured runtime myself, don't think mine would stretch quite that far (Sony numbers usually fairly accurate for "best possible" while playing 128mp3 w/ no dsd/EQ etc...). FYI ICYMI bluetooth runtime is a fraction of that (for me maybe 12ish hrs over SBC? Less for LDAC? idk I always charge before it goes empty).

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #843 of 2,411
More or less- Haven't properly measured runtime myself, don't think mine would stretch quite that far (Sony numbers usually fairly accurate for "best possible" while playing 128mp3 w/ no dsd/EQ etc...). FYI ICYMI bluetooth runtime is a fraction of that (for me maybe 12ish hrs over SBC? Less for LDAC? idk I always charge before it goes empty).

That's a bit of a shame - I'm looking at the Fiio M11 as well where the opposite seems to be true (battery life significantly stronger as it bypasses the internal amp) - if only it happened here as well!

May 8, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #846 of 2,411
May 8, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #847 of 2,411
How well does the NW-a55 drive the Sony Mdr1a?
Anyone try to drive a Sennheiser 6XX with this DAP?

I demo'd the MDR1A in shop with the A45, it seemed fine, but I'm not familiar with the headphones so I can't say if they were living up to full ability or not. Eyeballing specs looks like it should be ok.

Not tried 6xx, but I would point out that they are 300 ohms, 103db/1vrms, and the spec of A55 is something like 35mw/channel into 16ohms, so it will be way underpowered (might produce listenable volume depending on what you consider listenable volume).

If you are technically minded and want to dig into that stuff https://blog.jdslabs.com/2015/06/power-is-volume/

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #848 of 2,411
I demo'd the MDR1A in shop with the A45, it seemed fine, but I'm not familiar with the headphones so I can't say if they were living up to full ability or not. Eyeballing specs looks like it should be ok.

Not tried 6xx, but I would point out that they are 300 ohms, 103db/1vrms, and the spec of A55 is something like 35mw/channel into 16ohms, so it will be way underpowered (might produce listenable volume depending on what you consider listenable volume).

If you are technically minded and want to dig into that stuff https://blog.jdslabs.com/2015/06/power-is-volume/
And if he or she listens to DSD, these are very high dynamic range, means that they require more volume, at least in my wm1A when playing DSD in native mode

May 9, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #849 of 2,411
May 9, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #850 of 2,411
May 9, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #851 of 2,411
Do you know if the NW-A55 can be a transport in this situation, like USB from my Schiit Asgard 3 to my NW-A55, to then play music off my NW-A55 using the Schiits DAC and Amp?
Yes but you'll need that *special* sony cable, personally I don't have that cable as it is a bit hard to find

May 9, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #852 of 2,411
Yes but you'll need that *special* sony cable, personally I don't have that cable as it is a bit hard to find

Ahh, ok. I can probably find it from Japan pretty easily. Being able to drive my Asgard 3 from my Sony DAP would be awesome.. usually have to get out of my chair, walk over to computer to change an album.

May 9, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #853 of 2,411
We got some sonos sinfonisk speakers. We read absolutely every thing on ther website (they claim to support flac only up to 16/48).

The only way I can play flac is with the sonos controller but my husband and I have the problem that combined our libraries will surpass the 65k song.linit imposed by sonos music program.

Given this I tried windows media player (ignores DSD files) does not stream as flac
Moved on to music bee, they don't support sonos
Moved to sont media go this plays but mono (sees only one speaker at a time) and must tick the convert to MP3 when streaming checkbox.
Tried sony music center for pc, doesn't see sonos ar all
Finally gave up and tried the God of them all VLC, no luck also no sonos support

Does anyone here use a NAS drive like a WD myCloud/MyBook or synology.. they transcode to flac 16/44for sonos?
How can I bypass the 65k song limit on sonos controller?

I am planning seriously of selling them.. sonos, hello its 2020 not 2007 to not support most formats... I was expecting easy plug and play, just throw a DSD or hi definition flac and sonos does the test without I having to have two copies of my music. One lossless and one lossy for the goddamn speakers

May 9, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #854 of 2,411
Ahh, ok. I can probably find it from Japan pretty easily. Being able to drive my Asgard 3 from my Sony DAP would be awesome.. usually have to get out of my chair, walk over to computer to change an album.

In my experience it doesn't work with every DAC, so there's a bit of risk in that. If nobody answers here maybe also try the other similar OS sony dap threads like zx300/wm1 ( those all seem to have similar I/O functionality) if anyone with a current gen Schiit dac has tested compatibility.

Does anyone here use a NAS drive like a WD myCloud/MyBook or synology.. they transcode to flac 16/44for sonos?
How can I bypass the 65k song limit on sonos controller?

I am planning seriously of selling them.. sonos, hello its 2020 not 2007 to not support most formats... I was expecting easy plug and play, just throw a DSD or hi definition flac and sonos does the test without I having to have two copies of my music. One lossless and one lossy for the goddamn speakers

I don't know much about this stuff but have you tried tried Roon or Plex? I have heard people talk about using these with Sonos. I think Roon collates from wherever you have music stored without needing a whole file server setup?

If you get other playback software to work sometimes they have resampling plugins like Secret Rabit Code available (for instance foobar & vlc have that IIRC) .

Foobar2k has a plugin it looks like people got working with Sonos (there are a few mentions of sonos on the plugins thread https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=98370.0 ), and also has resampling plugins... idk if they would work together.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #855 of 2,411

I don't know much about this stuff but have you tried tried Roon or Plex? I have heard people talk about using these with Sonos. I think Roon collates from wherever you have music stored without needing a whole file server setup?

I use Roon extensively and with Sonos speakers sprinkled throughout my house.

Roon will downsample and dither your high-res content as needed to play flawlessly on Sonos. I can attest that this both works well and sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back