Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Oct 26, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #1,786 of 1,999
Thank you - really looking forward to that. Just made a donation to encourage... :)
In the meantime, I think I read there is an "older" version for the A40. Would you mind telling where it can be found please?

Really appreciate it!

The older version needs some rework as well, and then it will be released again :)

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #1,789 of 1,999
Oct 30, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #1,791 of 1,999
Oct 30, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #1,793 of 1,999
Does it mean that something is wrong and you are fixing it?

No, I just want to change the method of installation. Someone who has the firmware can PM you a link of older installations.

Thanks for understanding.

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #1,796 of 1,999
@MrWalkman Just wanted to give you some feedback. First, I really like the tuning of the WM1A Latest firmware mod. I don’t think it sounds more “natural” (although I know what you meant). I believe in IMHO it’s better to say of it’s sounding more “analog” in playback like on a tape deck or a turntable but of course cleaner with more digital clarity, 3D imaging and better dynamic range! It’s very warm and sound may not be for everyone.

(I once read a Metal Head who made a compelling case for why he hated warm or an analog Digital sounding playback because it took away from the energy of his chosen genre of music which makes a lot of sense to me!)

For me and the style of music genres I love your firmware mod is great but it’s also depends on earphones/headphones soundstage as well so it’s arbitrary and my require some experimentation with the right rig. 👍🏻

I also wanted to mention that my A50 modded firmware sounds better even when it’s sourced by an external Dac. In my opinion, the same external dac does sound different on different Sony Walkmans. I’m not sure why it is?? Is it the tuning (firmware) or better output (hardware) in different Walkmans?? Not sure??

It’s just nice to have the option to make up for the shortcomings of the hardware in the entry level daps.

Has anyone tried the new Fiios Q3 with THX amp for only 159 bucks (US). It seems like a great deal to supplement the sound on the A45 or A55 series.

Anywho, Keep Healthy and Safe everyone during these challenging times and keep on rocking :)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #1,798 of 1,999
The fiio Q3 looks like a revamped Q1mk2, which I have and use with my A35. Perfect size fit and otherwise.

Based on online reviews Fiio Q3 has two issues 1. is that it has a slight hum on high gain and 2. it doesn’t have enough power and requires full volume to listen but I can’t verify these issues.

I have the ifi hip dac that I use on both my A45, A55 it’s really nice for $150 (US) but no Bluetooth :frowning2:

Fiio Q3 has a THX amp which supposedly lowers distortion and you get that “black” background with improved bass response sans bleeding to other frequencies in the stereo mix.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #1,800 of 1,999
I am facing a problem when installing reloaded+
my A46 restarting again and again (bootloop). (I forgot to reset after model switching. is it the reason?)
can anyone please help me here?
note that: my pc cannot find my walkman now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back