Sony NW-A40 Series NW-A45/A46/A47
Sep 13, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #1,728 of 1,999
Hi @MrWalkman, I'm not sure the reason why those features such as FM Radio, Noise cancelling... are removed from the firmware... Is it not compatible with A40?

The mod is based on the ZX300 firmware, which doesn't have these features.

Sep 13, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #1,730 of 1,999
Will you consider to import those features in the future?

They cannot be imported. If they don't exist in the firmware, then they are not there basically.

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #1,733 of 1,999
Thanks @MrWalkman Here are some features that are good to have [Not sure if you take requests]
  1. Audio book support [Save last played position]
  2. Podcast support [Save Last played position]
  3. Gapless playback [Cross fading between songs]
  4. Show song quality along with albumart

Hey, unfortunately it doesn't work like that. It would be nice to have new features, but we can't do that without having access to the source code, which we don't.

Sep 26, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #1,735 of 1,999
Edit: If you want to post this on other forums, it would be nice to provide a link to this post, and not
a direct Google Drive link or anything like that. Thanks!

Hello people,

There is a new (unofficial) firmware for the NW-A40Series. Please welcome...

NW-A40Series Reloaded and Reloaded+

This firmware mod is based on the firmware of the NW-ZX300, and it brings the following features:
- new, improved sound
- high gain setting
- Bluetooth Receiver function
- 10 band equalizer
- DSEE HX AI (from DMP-Z1) and other 4 selectable DSEE HX modes
- DC Phase Linearizer with 6 selectable modes
- Vinyl Processor with 4 selectable modes
- Visualizers: Spectrum Analyzer/Analog VU Meter/Digital Peak Meter

- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI
- the player can also show progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG covers now (only baseline JPEG and non interlaced PNG are visible on the stock firmware)
- when the battery is empty, a "battery empty" image will be shown instead of nothing
- when the battery is empty and you are charging the player, a "charging" image will be shown instead of nothing

The change involving the battery empty and battery charging image is not reversible!

There are some removed features in exchange:
- FM Radio
- Noise cancelling
- Language study
- VPT Surround
- ClearAudio+

The Reloaded+ version brings a different sound than the normal version, and a slightly
improved battery life.

How to install the modified firmware
1. Connect the player to the computer using the USB cable, and enable
the Mass Storage mode.

2. Open the "Model Switcher" tool, and choose the first option.
The device will do an update, which should take around 1 minute.

3. After the device restarts, do a full factory reset.
(Settings > Device Settings > Reset/Format > Restore to Factory Configuration)

4. After the Reset is complete and the device restarted, install one of
the two firmware versions - "A40Series Reloaded" or "A40Series Reloaded+".

While in this "switched" state, you can freely switch between these two firmware versions.

How to get back to the stock firmware
1. Connect the player to the computer using the USB cable, and enable
the Mass Storage mode.

2. Open the "Model Switcher" tool, and choose the second option.
The device will do an update, which should take around 1 minute.

3. After the device restarts, do a full factory reset.
(Settings > Device Settings > Reset/Format > Restore to Factory Configuration).

4. After the reset is complete and the device restarted, install any version of the official Sony firmware.

Notes
Notes regarding the installation/model switching
- If (usually) Microsoft Defender detects the Model Switcher as having a virus, it does not
have a virus. Feel free to check the file with a more competent antivirus, or just don't try the mod I guess.

- You will not be able to just install the mod without switching the model first. Please

follow all the steps!

- Do not try to install an official firmware version without switching the model back first!

- A full factory reset will erase the "Hours played" counter (if you care about it),
and it will also erase anything in the internal memory. If you use a MicroSD card,
don't worry about it, as nothing from the MicroSD card gets deleted.

- Using the switcher itself will also reset the "Hours played" counter, but it will
not erase anything from the internal memory of from the MicroSD card.

- If you switched the destination of your player to J, doing a factory reset will make
it unable to change the language. To change the language, switch the destination
to another one, change the language as desired, and then you can change the
destination back to J. If you never heard of destinations, you have nothing to worry
about. (
Rockbox destination tool)

- If you will still get any "Database issue" errors after doing the full factory reset,
just do another full factory reset. Once the error is gone, it will stay gone until you
will use the "A40Series Reloaded Switcher" tool again. The error is usually gone
after the first full factory reset.

Notes regarding the use of the mod
- Having "Direct Source" mode turned on while playing DSD files, will result in no sound
being played back.

Screenshots

LINK

I hope you'll enjoy this. Feel free to give it a try and leave your feedback. :)
Please Reply:-
Just wondering @MrWalkman how you created the mod for walkman, searched quite a lot about it but could not find how to create one. Can you tell how you created one?

Also is the mod stable can it damage the walkman and especially the longevity of the battery and what do you mean by "The change involving the battery empty and battery charging image is not reversible" ?

PLEASE REPLY

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #1,738 of 1,999
Just wondering @MrWalkman how you created the mod for walkman, searched quite a lot about it but could not find how to create one. Can you tell how you created one?

I'm sorry, but as I stated for several times, I won't get into details about this.

Also is the mod stable can it damage the walkman and especially the longevity of the battery

Yes, the mod is stable, nothing can be damaged. If someone is releasing stuff that is not stable and can damage your player, then that person is not me.

what do you mean by "The change involving the battery empty and battery charging image is not reversible" ?

There is more than just that line:
- when the battery is empty, a "battery empty" image will be shown instead of nothing
- when the battery is empty and you are charging the player, a "charging" image will be shown instead of nothing

The change involving the battery empty and battery charging image is not reversible!

I think it's pretty self-explanatory.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #1,739 of 1,999
I'm sorry, but as I stated for several times, I won't get into details about this.

"Well everyone has their own secrets and I wont force you to share the details."

Yes, the mod is stable, nothing can be damaged. If someone is releasing stuff that is not stable and can damage your player, then that person is not me.
Well, that's true. Thanks for the bringing the mod to us.

@MrWalkman
But the original sound signature of the "NW - A45" shall return to original right?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,740 of 1,999
"Well everyone has their own secrets and I wont force you to share the details."

Well, that's true. Thanks for the bringing the mod to us.

@MrWalkman
But the original sound signature of the "NW - A45" shall return to original right?

Yes, upon returning to the stock firmware, by following the instructions, the original sound signature will be back. The battery charging image thing has nothing to do with the sound signature.

Actually, the battery charging image change can also be reverted, but a separate tool for that will come at a later time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back