SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Sep 6, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #61 of 2,453
If you are interested in the WM1-A and 1Z apparently the OS is a hybrid, android 5.0 underneath with a Sony layer on top.  So you have an android OS but no wifi and no way to run third party apps.

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #63 of 2,453
Hope the A20 series is not dead. It's a Yeh for sound (presumably) for the A30 but a neh for portability IMHO.

I really hope the bigger size and reduced battery is not just for a touchscreen- though still looks fairly small, maybe a problem for :cool: people with tight pants.

Some chance the A20 series will still be available for a while since even the A17 is still easy to find new- I wonder if they continue production or just made so many they have stock for a long time.

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #64 of 2,453
I really hope the bigger size and reduced battery is not just for a touchscreen- though still looks fairly small, maybe a problem for
cool.gif
people with tight pants.

Some chance the A20 series will still be available for a while since even the A17 is still easy to find new- I wonder if they continue production or just made so many they have stock for a long time.

If the A30 series will be tight to carry in your pocket with tight pants the 1A and 1Z will need to be carried in a backpack. There isn't a pair of pants with big enough pockets to hold those bricks.  The 1Z is so heavy it would probably pull down your pants down.

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #65 of 2,453
If the A30 series will be tight to carry in your pocket with tight pants the 1A and 1Z will need to be carried in a backpack. There isn't a pair of pants with big enough pockets to hold those bricks.  The 1Z is so heavy it would probably pull down your pants down.

Horses for courses. For what's it is designed to do, I do find 1z size and weight to be acceptable. Alas, will probably go for 1a since I cannot convince myself to carry a gold coloured DAP.

The A series on the other hand (love them, have 2 of them), I have always associated them with ultra portable players but the A30 seems to be a departure from that. For that size, would rather go for a Valoq or something.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #68 of 2,453
  I don't know what it sounds like, but it looks like a toy unfortunately. I'll be waiting and hoping that Sony release another Walkman to replace the ZX100 before Christmas.

I imagine that it looks better in real life as it were, but agreed the colours they have chosen don't help.  Charcoal black for me if I do get one.  As for more players they seem to be focusing on the high end ones as of now so I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you!

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #69 of 2,453
Yeah, don't worry, it also comes in 'Audiophile Black' :D

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #70 of 2,453
Horses for courses. For what's it is designed to do, I do find 1z size and weight to be acceptable. Alas, will probably go for 1a since I cannot convince myself to carry a gold coloured DAP.

The A series on the other hand (love them, have 2 of them), I have always associated them with ultra portable players but the A30 seems to be a departure from that. For that size, would rather go for a Valoq or something.

Actually if you look at the dimensions, it is a little shorter and a little wider than the A10/A20 series.

A10/20   44 mm X 109 mm X 9 mm

A30        55.9 mm x 97.5 mm x 10.9 mm

So A30 is 11.9 mm wider, 12.5 mm shorter, 1.9 mm thicker.  The overall size looks to be pretty close between the two, The A30 just has a squarer more traditional shape to fit the slightly bigger screen..  The A30 series will stack with my Fiio Q1 much better than the A17 does so I would be quite happy.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #71 of 2,453
It- the top model- will cost about half of the ZX100's price: https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.be/2016/09/sony-australia-pricing-for-nw-a30.html

So I have reason and hope to believe that they will either update the zx100 with a better screen to match the family's and the new UI or will launch a successor. After all, without the ZX100 there would be a gap in the more profitable range of  the Hi_res walkman family of about 400-500 euros. edit: I'm confused lol, no need for edits.
 I imagine that it looks better in real life as it were, but agreed the colours they have chosen don't help.  Charcoal black for me if I do get one.  As for more players they seem to be focusing on the high end ones as of now so I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you!

I guess I will hold my breath 
redface.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #72 of 2,453
  It- the top model- will cost about half of the ZX100's price: https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.be/2016/09/sony-australia-pricing-for-nw-a30.html

So I have reason and hope to believe that they will either update the zx100 with a better screen to match the family's and the new UI or will launch a successor. After all, without the ZX100 there would be a gap in the more profitable range of  the Hi_res walkman family of about 400-500 euros. edit: I'm confused lol, no need for edits.
I guess I will hold my breath 
redface.gif

I suspect that the A30 may actually replace the ZX100.  The screen size and resolution is the same as the ZX100 and except for the internal memory size they look pretty similar in terns of features.  Sony looks to be separating their DAP's into the E series for the cheap models without expandable memory,  the middle tier A series and the upper tier WM series.  Besides Sony runs on a yearly product cycle so if there was to be another replacement for the ZX100 it would have been announced at IFA.

The A30 will be priced higher than the A20 series and pretty close to the ZX100's current price.  I don't see Sony having two DAP's close to the same price point as they would cancel each other out in terms of sales.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #73 of 2,453
  I suspect that the A30 may actually replace the ZX100.  The screen size and resolution is the same as the ZX100 and except for the internal memory size they look pretty similar in terns of features.  Sony looks to be separating their DAP's into the E series for the cheap models without expandable memory,  the middle tier A series and the upper tier WM series.  Besides Sony runs on a yearly product cycle so if there was to be another replacement for the ZX100 it would have been announced at IFA.

The A30 will be priced higher than the A20 series and pretty close to the ZX100's current price.  I don't see Sony having two DAP's close to the same price point as they would cancel each other out in terms of sales.

i agree i think the A30 may have the ZX100 internals ..i just sold my ZX100 and i have a Jap A17 that i am using right now ...the ZX100 is a thicker sound great mids and bass actually it was a nice mi -centric player..the A17 has a more trebly sound to my ears it certainly does not have the bass of the ZX100 ..
   I am going to order the A30 and see if it has that ZX100 sound i miss it already!!

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #74 of 2,453
  i agree i think the A30 may have the ZX100 internals ..i just sold my ZX100 and i have a Jap A17 that i am using right now ...the ZX100 is a thicker sound great mids and bass actually it was a nice mi -centric player..the A17 has a more trebly sound to my ears it certainly does not have the bass of the ZX100 ..
   I am going to order the A30 and see if it has that ZX100 sound i miss it already!!

Actually on further research I noticed one difference between the A30 series and the ZX100. The ZX100 has OS-CON capacitors on the amplifier output stage and it looks like the A30 series will still have POSCAPS.  At the very least it seems to indicate that output power for the A30 will be about the same as the A10/A20 series at 10 mW per channel vs the 15 mW per channel on the ZX100.  The OS-CONS probably contributed partially to the sound signature of the ZX100 so I don't know that the A30 series and ZX100 will have quite the same sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back