SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Sep 11, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #91 of 2,453
just a question how do you load podcasts onto the player ...do you use mediago?

On the A17 it just goes into subfolders within the Podcast folder either on internal storage or on SD cards formatted with the player.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #94 of 2,453
  well it does come in 64gb, probably on selected market.
http://www.sonystyle.com.cn/products/media_player/nw_a30.htm#/module/0/0

With the price of 200 GB microsd card prices dropping and 128 GB cards are relatively cheap now I can live with the 32 GB on the A36.  Sony seems to charge an unreasonably high price difference between same series DAP's based solely on internal memory size.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #96 of 2,453

They jumped on board of that strategy since it works so well for some other non-disclosed manufacturers..

One question that needs to be answered is whether Sony has fixed the issue with only one memory source being accessible at a time when connected to a computer.  If it hasn't then I would actually prefer getting the A35 with only 16 GB of memory onboard.  Then if I can get a 200 GB card and load all my tracks on it.  I would always have access to all my tracks at the same time when connected to my computer and when connected to my home receiver via USB..

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #97 of 2,453
I don't understand much about output specs - could someone please tell me how the 35mW would be an improvement over the A15's 10mW? Is it to do with volume loudness or does it improve the sound quality/clarity? And by how much (estimated).

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #98 of 2,453
It's just about the power to drive more demanding headphones. Has nothing to do with Sound Quality.
With the previous 10mW you were basically totally ok for 95% of all IEMs or all headphones until approx 60 Ohms impedance.
For everything beyond that you have probably needed  an extra amp to drive hungry cans sufficiently.

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #99 of 2,453
[quo
I don't understand much about output specs - could someone please tell me how the 35mW would be an improvement over the A15's 10mW? Is it to do with volume loudness or does it improve the sound quality/clarity? And by how much (estimated).

Loudness is determined by output power and headphone sensitivity, but not a 1:1 relation (so 3.5x more power does not mean 3.5x more volume). As Bart says, the primary benefit is the player's ability to supply stable power to headphones of higher impedances than the what the A10 series does at the same loudness. This could be considered an improvement, though better word is "performance",rather than 'sound quality" probably (i.e. the specific headphones that need the additional power will behave closer to their design, those that don't should perform similarly, though may sound different due to other DAP properties).

There are other factors of amplification and interactions with headphones that have an effect on sound quality but with this sort of information I believe that is all you can really say about the difference between the two series.

*if you want to get a some of how this might affect your headphones you can look at the three charts here, the article suggests using 110 dB as reference point for max volume (a good read too, where I get rough understanding from, though a little over my head in parts) http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=1285

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #100 of 2,453
Thanks for your replies/explanations

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #101 of 2,453
Any word on pricing and availability yet? The form-factor combined with the colors has me excited. Vexed up with X3 and I want something with similar sound quality and great UI at a decent price.

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #104 of 2,453
For the Asian market it seems to be good to go for an October launch but who knows for the US market.

Here in the US they took their sweet time to launch the A20 series and so far the A30's are not on the sony US site as being available soon so I won't hold my breath for an October US launch.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #105 of 2,453
  well it does come in 64gb, probably on selected market.
http://www.sonystyle.com.cn/products/media_player/nw_a30.htm#/module/0/0

INTERESTING! Hope the price difference is not too much. Ill totally grab this if it is not too expensive. 

One question that needs to be answered is whether Sony has fixed the issue with only one memory source being accessible at a time when connected to a computer.  If it hasn't then I would actually prefer getting the A35 with only 16 GB of memory onboard.  Then if I can get a 200 GB card and load all my tracks on it.  I would always have access to all my tracks at the same time when connected to my computer and when connected to my home receiver via USB..

I really hope they solved this issue. I doubt it though. Will probably still be using Media Go right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back