Sony MH1C better than CIEMs or just another ATH-M50?
Nov 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #106 of 207
I did some testing ala your instructions.
I have to say I disagree. Strongly.
I was using my iPod, with my GR04 Flagships (about halfway between the GR06 and GR07 by all accounts), and also experimenting with my output transformer rig, which basically drops voltage but boosts current, anyway it does not work with the MH1C, because of the TRRS plug.

So, using my iPod headphone out, ball park volume matched, the MH1C is incredibly warm, with massive mid-bass emphasis. The GR04 may actually have more subbass, but no wehre near the mid-bass of the MH1. Regardless of position, the MH1 sounds incredibly warm. Admittedly, the warmth of the MH1 makes the mids quite enjoyable, but there is a considerable roll off at the top. When inserted deeply, the pressure is such that they clearly are not performing properly, and just sound plain bad.

I have a hunch about what is going on here. On my phone (which has a terrible headphone out), the MH1 sounds okay. The MH1 has a low impedance, something like 20z. What is your source? I have a hunch that it sounds good with my phone because the phone has a high output impedance, yielding a substantial bass roll off, if your device has high output impedance, you may get a similar result.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #109 of 207
Quote:
I was using my iPod, with my GR04 Flagships (about halfway between the GR06 and GR07 by all accounts), and also experimenting with my output transformer rig, which basically drops voltage but boosts current, anyway it does not work with the MH1C, because of the TRRS plug.

So, using my iPod headphone out, ball park volume matched, the MH1C is incredibly warm, with massive mid-bass emphasis. The GR04 may actually have more subbass, but no wehre near the mid-bass of the MH1. Regardless of position, the MH1 sounds incredibly warm. Admittedly, the warmth of the MH1 makes the mids quite enjoyable, but there is a considerable roll off at the top. When inserted deeply, the pressure is such that they clearly are not performing properly, and just sound plain bad.

I have a hunch about what is going on here. On my phone (which has a terrible headphone out), the MH1 sounds okay. The MH1 has a low impedance, something like 20z. What is your source? I have a hunch that it sounds good with my phone because the phone has a high output impedance, yielding a substantial bass roll off, if your device has high output impedance, you may get a similar result.

Well, actually I'm using a Cowon J3, which has a fairly low output impedance.

TBH, I don't know what's going on LOL. My pair is not warm sounding at all (I wouldn't like them if they were LOL). Also, my pair doesn't have the rolled-off treble everyone is talking about (from the IEMs in my signature, the only one that is brighter than my MH1 is the Rock-IT R-50). The bass sure is strong, but it's not about mid-bass, it's all about sub-bass (they don't sound boomy at all). Coincidentally, yesterday I had the chance to try the GR04 Pro, and in terms of mid-bass they were about on par with my MH1, the MH1 having considerably more sub-bass extension.

Well, I'm totally clueless on this
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #110 of 207
Quote:
Quote:

Well, actually I'm using a Cowon J3, which has a fairly low output impedance.

TBH, I don't know what's going on LOL. My pair is not warm sounding at all (I wouldn't like them if they were LOL). Also, my pair doesn't have the rolled-off treble everyone is talking about (from the IEMs in my signature, the only one that is brighter than my MH1 is the Rock-IT R-50). The bass sure is strong, but it's not about mid-bass, it's all about sub-bass (they don't sound boomy at all). Coincidentally, yesterday I had the chance to try the GR04 Pro, and in terms of mid-bass they were about on par with my MH1, the MH1 having considerably more sub-bass extension.

Well, I'm totally clueless on this
tongue_smile.gif

The ones you have sound amazing. Mine are just pretty meh. Easily worth the $20, but I really wouldn't pay much more for them. Not the hundreds some are talking about.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #113 of 207
Oh dear.
got the gr07 mkii today.
to avoid bias based on lack of burn in, opened my third pair of mh1c.
Once you apply an EQ of bass reduction for the mh1c, I can't tell the difference between the two.
At the same time, if you apply a bass boost to the gr07, I can't tell the difference. Well, subbass is more prominent on the mh1c.

Upon careful listening though, I was able to tell that the bass on the mh1c is not slower than the gr07. It just decays a bit later.
The treble on the gr07 also has sibilance in comparison to the mh1c. The track itself has sibilance but it doesn't show up on the mh1c (testament to how smooth the sound is). And the bad side of that is that higher treble on mh1c sounds thinner.
The mids on the mh1c are so musical. I can't think of another way to describe it. Just musical. Perhaps that can be attributed to smoothness too?
Mids on the gr07 on the other hand are, in comparison to the mh1c, separated from the overall sound. By that I mean if the mids on the mh1c were right next to your ear, the mids on the gr07 are about three fingers to either side.
The soundstage is just bigger on the gr07. width, depth, height.

By no means an extensive review, especially considering neither pair is burned in, but just an overview with the point being that they do compare to iems $130+. Just not the balanced kind because stock, the subbass/bass is much. Once EQ'd down to your liking, then they do compare to the balanced kinds as well.

EDIT: soundstage is pretty much on par.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #115 of 207
Quote:
Decays later, decays longer = slower bass.

actually no.
If you hit the same bass note twice really fast and it is able to reproduce how quickly you hit those notes, then it is not slow.
What the later decay does is you hear the first note longer than you should before you hear the second note even though the second note is already reproduced.

So. if you are only focused on when you can clearly delineate the first from the second note, then yes I guess you'd conclude that it was slower.
But if you listen for when the note is actually reproduced, then no, it is not slower.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #117 of 207
Just got the MH1cs. The boomy feel of the midbass leaves a lot to be desired. Another FOTM, I guess. A disappointing purchase.

It is another FOTM for sure, I still don't understand how others give it such high rating. My pair I had the same boomy bass as yours did.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #119 of 207
once you apply an EQ of bass reduction for the mh1c, I can't tell the difference between the two.

What type of bass reduction did you apply? Amount and frequency?

Thanks. :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #120 of 207
Wow, almost mixed results when compared with CIEMs.

If that's the case CIEMs companies are probably gonna have to start producing ready to go IEMs.

I don't see any mixed results with Custom IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back