Sony MH1C better than CIEMs or just another ATH-M50?
Nov 29, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #91 of 207
Ah, I think you have some hearing issues Kiteki if you think you can run these at 100% volume on your mobile phone.  Halfway on all my mp3 players or less is more than adequate, and 9/15 on my mobile phone.  75% of a nightclub volume?  Guess it depends on the nightclub.  Did you use them through anything else apart from your mobile?  To put it in perspective, them are more sensitive than my Re0's, which need quite a bit of juice from my mp3 players and phone.  But I never go close to 100%.  May be worth checking the gain controls on the music app on your phone, they could be set low.  I know poweramp allows me to change the gain independent of the volume.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #92 of 207
Quote:
Ah, I think you have some hearing issues Kiteki if you think you can run these at 100% volume on your mobile phone.  Halfway on all my mp3 players or less is more than adequate, and 9/15 on my mobile phone.  75% of a nightclub volume?  Guess it depends on the nightclub.  Did you use them through anything else apart from your mobile?  To put it in perspective, them are more sensitive than my Re0's, which need quite a bit of juice from my mp3 players and phone.  But I never go close to 100%.  May be worth checking the gain controls on the music app on your phone, they could be set low.  I know poweramp allows me to change the gain independent of the volume.

On my SGS3, about 6~7/10

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #93 of 207
I honestly get great pleasure from just listening the the mh1c's on my little sansa clip+.  Using rockbox, the volume is normally at -25 to -28, depending on the gain of the music when it was encoded.  To me, it still has a lot of play on the volume for going higher.  On my sony e344, normally have the volume at 13-15/30. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #94 of 207
I honestly get great pleasure from just listening the the mh1c's on my little sansa clip+.  Using rockbox, the volume is normally at -25 to -28, depending on the gain of the music when it was encoded.  To me, it still has a lot of play on the volume for going higher.  On my sony e344, normally have the volume at 13-15/30. 

Wow. On my rockboxed clip zip, I have to get the mh1c's up to around -14 before they are loud enough for me, and I can easily go up to -10. Probably time to get my ears cleaned out lol!

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #95 of 207
I honestly find these WAY too bass heavy and too warm to be enjoyable, with one notable exception. My phone has the WORST headphone out, it has what I can only assume is a massive output impedance, and causes such a bass-roll off on the MH1C, that it sounds okay. I personally find the bass so overwhelming on the MH1C that I lose the detail that I know is there, from when I have equed out the bass. I have the GR02 and GR04 Flagship. The GR02, to me is far more enjoyable, and about on par with the MH1C. The GR04 is far more detailed, more textured, and images better. If I were to recommend sub-$50 IEMs, it'd be the GR04 Flagship, which before they started being discounted heavily were once nestled between the GR06 and GR07 in the Vsonic lineup. For $50, they are a true steal, and because Vsonic screwed the pooch on naming, they have gotten far, far too little attention.

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #96 of 207
Quote:
The above posts are by people who have 2 sets of mh1c's at different states of burn-in. Seems pretty definitive to me.

Tyll says its not true, so.............
3580 better sounding than the Mh1c?  that just shows that whe all have diferent tastes and hear diferent,  the 3580 highs sound metalic and not natural compared to the Mh1c, also there is a big dip in the mids compared to the Mh1c.    The 3580 wins on price, thats all.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #97 of 207
Quote:
Quote:
The above posts are by people who have 2 sets of mh1c's at different states of burn-in. Seems pretty definitive to me.

Tyll says its not true, so.............
3580 better sounding than the Mh1c?  that just shows that whe all have diferent tastes and hear diferent,  the 3580 highs sound metalic and not natural compared to the Mh1c, also there is a big dip in the mids compared to the Mh1c.    The 3580 wins on price, thats all.

Where did Tyll comment about the MH1C?

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #98 of 207
You guys are scaring me. I'm getting up to around -4 through 0 to achieve a good volume with the Sanza Fuze and mh1c's. Man. That is why I was thinking about getting an amp. The Sansa is driving them admirably. But, I'm really having to get close to it's maximum volume output.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #100 of 207
I got the MH1 (not MH1C) some days ago, and there's some inconsistencies with what I'm reading. Don't know if I have a "faulty" pair or something, but it's not warm sounding, not at all. So for you to make yourselves an idea, my RE-272 are warmer, less bright than these. The soundstage is fairly wide and deep, the presentation very airy, and the instrument positioning is impressively accurate. Instrument separation is not on pair with my Rock-IT R-50, but it's not far behind either. Overall I'm totally impressed with the SQ of the MH1. I have also compared them to other IEMs like GR07, and and while the GR07 are maybe a little better technically speaking, I like the MH1 better. My only complain about them is the bass. In some tracks it gets a little bit "intrusive".

I showed them to a friend whose favorite IEMs is -well, was- the RE-262. After listening to the MH1 he said "where can I get these? I'm buying 2 pairs". On the other hand, I have some audiophile friends that found them very good for their price, but nothing special, and even some other friends that didn't like them at all, so I guess there's a lot about personal taste involved.

I must add that the sound of these IEMs depends a lot on the insertion depth. In my opinion, the shallower the insertion, the better the sound (with a deep insertion they sound way too bassy and muddy), so those who are not liking them maybe should try with a shallower insertion.

Just my 2 cents
etysmile.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #101 of 207
Quote:
I got the MH1 (not MH1C) some days ago, and there's some inconsistencies with what I'm reading. Don't know if I have a "faulty" pair or something, but it's not warm sounding, not at all. So for you to make yourselves an idea, my RE-272 are warmer, less bright than these. The soundstage is fairly wide and deep, the presentation very airy, and the instrument positioning is impressively accurate. Instrument separation is not on pair with my Rock-IT R-50, but it's not far behind either. Overall I'm totally impressed with the SQ of the MH1. I have also compared them to other IEMs like GR07, and and while the GR07 are maybe a little better technically speaking, I like the MH1 better. My only complain about them is the bass. In some tracks it gets a little bit "intrusive".

I showed them to a friend whose favorite IEMs is -well, was- the RE-262. After listening to the MH1 he said "where can I get these? I'm buying 2 pairs". On the other hand, I have some audiophile friends that found them very good for their price, but nothing special, and even some other friends that didn't like them at all, so I guess there's a lot about personal taste involved.

I must add that the sound of these IEMs depends a lot on the insertion depth. In my opinion, the shallower the insertion, the better the sound (with a deep insertion they sound way too bassy and muddy), so those who are not liking them maybe should try with a shallower insertion.

Just my 2 cents
etysmile.gif

Bassy and muddy is how I was defining too warm, I suppose. They are completely over run by the way too dominant bass.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #102 of 207
Quote:
Bassy and muddy is how I was defining too warm, I suppose. They are completely over run by the way too dominant bass.

Well, when I insert them deeply into my ears, they sound like that, but as I said, with a shallow insertion they are not muddy at all; actually, their clarity is among the best I've heard, lots of air and "space" between instruments (no kidding!).

But then again, maybe I got a "defective" pair which happens to sound better than the standard MH1, as mine are kind of bright sounding, with a very linear and not laid back treble, which contrasts with the general opinion about these IEMs.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #103 of 207
Quote:
Quote:

Well, when I insert them deeply into my ears, they sound like that, but as I said, with a shallow insertion they are not muddy at all; actually, their clarity is among the best I've heard, lots of air and "space" between instruments (no kidding!).

But then again, maybe I got a "defective" pair which happens to sound better than the standard MH1, as mine are kind of bright sounding, with a very linear and not laid back treble, which contrasts with the general opinion about these IEMs.

Ohh, I misread one of your sentences, I thought you were saying the RE272 was brighter, my mistake. I'll give them a try later today, shallow. It soulds like they sound good when you get a bad seal...very counterintuitive.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #104 of 207
Quote:
Ohh, I misread one of your sentences, I thought you were saying the RE272 was brighter, my mistake. I'll give them a try later today, shallow. It soulds like they sound good when you get a bad seal...very counterintuitive.

Oh no, the seal MUST be good in order to them sound good, just not a deep insertion
wink.gif

I hope you can get the sound I'm getting from these, as I'm really enjoying them! These are by far the best 20 bucks I've ever spent in my life!
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #105 of 207
Quote:
Quote:

Oh no, the seal MUST be good in order to them sound good, just not a deep insertion
wink.gif

I hope you can get the sound I'm getting from these, I'm really enjoying them! These are by far the best 20 bucks I've ever spent in my life!
bigsmile_face.gif

Hmmm, that is one hell of a statement.  I bought a CD of Billy Corgan's home mix tape, which he was using to sell labels on Melon Collie, I bought that for $15, took it home and realized it was signed inside. Also, my copies of Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse Five have brought me ridiculous amounts of enjoyment. Hmmmm, what else? Probably every Pixies CD I own. But, I'm getting off topic here....

I tend to really jam IEMs down there, so maybe I just went too deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back