Sony MH1 R&D Story ...and discussion.
Nov 2, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #31 of 244
Quote:
Well, target audience where basically all smartphone users, looking for a great audio experience. Pricing, needs to be consumer friendly otherwise no one will buy it, especielly considering that market do not expect that kind great audio quality from a cheep headset. But i hope we can change that view a little bit.   

Just want to ask if the of MH1 for later Sony Mobile and the MH1 "Livesound" for Sony Ericsson are built with the same materials and same sound quality? I'm using Sony Ericsson Live With Walkman and I'm a bit worried about the function compatibility with my device. Thanks

Jhii

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #32 of 244
Quote:
Dear Sead,
Just bought a pair of MH1C and I must say. Frequency response wise these are the most impeccably engineered pair of phones I've ever heard. Even besting the Etymotic MC5 and ER-4P. Here's the FR curve I came up for them plugged in my ear with small tips:

I did not refer to the graph you provided when making the FR curve. I play a loudness-compensated sine sweep using Sinegen through the phones in my ears and adjust levels in a parametric EQ until I hear a flat frequency response. The result inverted is the FR curve shown here.
These only have one shallow plateau in the FR to my ears. Even the etys with its much vaunted accuracy tuning had a big 10dB spike between 7 and 8kHz whatever tips I use. With these I just put on the small stock tips and BAM.
Here you can find a list of ear-tested FR for lots of other cheap IEMs. Nothing comes close to your jewels.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633102/budget-iems-review-3rd-budget-review-philips-she3580-posted
I didn't believe it would be possible to design IEMs that can play my music without parametric EQ with high quality, your design just shattered my preconception.
By the way did you get my private message?
biggrin.gif

...MH1 is full of secrets, but i'll rather let you guys to discover these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #33 of 244
Quote:

Just want to ask if the of MH1 for later Sony Mobile and the MH1 "Livesound" for Sony Ericsson are built with the same materials and same sound quality? I'm using Sony Ericsson Live With Walkman and I'm a bit worried about the function compatibility with my device. Thanks

Jhii

Yes, they are build with the same materials and same sound quality.

MH1 Livesound OMTP-> compatible with Sony Ericsson smartphones, (including yours)

MH1c Smart Headset CTIA connector -> compatible with Sony smartphones.

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #34 of 244
Hi Sead,
This so cool I can chat with an engineer from R&D 
tongue_smile.gif

I am Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 user
My phone come with Sony Ericsson MH-500 Bass Reflex Headset
This earbud with nice bass.

Even I was attracted on this smart handfree since Jul 4 2011, 10:48 PM
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1944685 a Malaysia popular forum
due to is LiveKey control feature.
If I not wrong Sony Ericsson MH1 first phone was bundle with Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray, am I right? 
I not yet try this out.
Will it "Sony MH1" bundle with the Sony Xperia T/TX?

Last time Sony Ericsson Walkman Phone was a hot before iDevice and Android era.
Still remember the W850i come with the in-ear type earphone handfree, only that I start to know in-ear phone(IEM) existing. I only use Sony MDR-E818LP earbud.
Is is the Sony Ericsson Walkman W850i handfree Sony Ericsson HPM70 also made by your team?

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #36 of 244
Hi again Sead!

Would you happen to have a frequency response graph of the MH1C with its port taped lying around to compare with the stock FR? :L3000:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #38 of 244
Quote:
I wonder why is the flange of the tips made of 2 different materials, with the bottom part having more friction?

I think it's to provide a good seal. It's the first time I'm able to use silicone with an IEM (usually I just use foam tips), and I think these tips are really good! They're very flexible and comfortable, and that back part of the tip (sort of a strip all around) gives me a tight seal! It's another great thing I found about this IEM, it's tips...

Nov 3, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #39 of 244
stock tips block treble substantially, on the other hand enhance the bass. M size of stock tips larger than M size sony hybrids

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #40 of 244
I think the stock tips are very nice and I get a really good seal from them, also the highs sound great but I'm going to try some other tips to see if it changes the sound at all but so far I'm really enjoying the MH1C a lot.  I haven't had the EPH-100 for awhile now but from what I remember I like the highs of the MH1C much better, the bass is about the same, mids are better on the MH1C and I also think the soundstage might be a bit more spacious sounding but I think they're both pretty spacious.  The highs of the MH1C sound more, I don't want to say natural but the don't have that metallic tinge to them like the EPH does and these have more sparkle than I was expecting to.

I'm quite shocked at how good they sound for $21 but then when I realize that the MSRP is like $80 it makes more sense but even at that price they would still awesome deal.  I really hope in the future more companies make IEM's that sound this good in the sub $100 bracket.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #43 of 244
you better get a couple extra if you were thinking of doing so before that happens.

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #44 of 244
Alright. Few questions.
What influenced or inspired you to create such a gem?

What I mean is.
Were you and your team encouraged or incentivized by Sony to create this masterpiece with as little resources as possible?
Or was this a renegade idea by some rebel that wanted to go against the norm?

You mentioned that the choice of cabling was fashion related.
Does this apply to the fact that the cable is flat or that the cable style used is the j-chord rather than the traditional y shape?
Or was it both?

Who chose to base the cabling on fashion?
If you had been the sole decision maker, would you have used regular cabling? Or would there have been compelling reasons to use the flat j-chord cable because of its intended use?

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #45 of 244
I think I can answer the question about the cable.  The design may have been fashion driven but it works well for calls, like this

Quote:
Actually I'm finding the down-splitting j-cord and mic very ergonomic. What you do is put the shirt clip on some way below the j split. Then when you use the phones, first loop the right bud around your neck and adjust the cable position so that the left and right buds will hang down your neck at equal height when you let them loose. THEN you clip the clip on your shirt at the position it finds itself in. The shirt clip will then secure the phones in a very comfortable listening position and very handy resting position (hanging just below your neck, always ready to be put on and not getting in the way of things). The down splitting j cord also puts the mic in front near your mouth when you put on the left bud, making people hear your voice better.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back