Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
May 29, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #391 of 440
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement Headphone 1/4″ to 1/8″ Adapter that fully fits the plug?

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #392 of 440
Hi there!

I have seen many members can remove the Z7 jack to solder the new silver cable. Today I have tried, but after 30 minutes of trying I had to give up because I just can't push the jack out even after removing the adhesive and the small back crew.I think Sony must have added some glue to the jack. My Z7's serial is 25000. Can anybody help me?

Thank you guys very much!

Aug 15, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #393 of 440
To anyone who is loving this modified Z7 sound signature. Sony is releasing an MKII version, and in my opinion. It would be a worthy upgrade to the original Z7 after modifications. Why am I saying this ? Because the patterns on the original Z7 is more about mid-range and not sub-bass or upper trebles. Therefore the Z7 signature is on a little darker side where as the Z1R pattern was refined, but has a magnesium domes that would sometime introduce the Zings and Zips under specific circumstances. On top of that the Z1R housing was too bulky.

For the time I owned Z1R and modified Z7, I wished that we could have a Z1R diaphragms without magnesium domes inside a Z7 form: what do I know ? The Z7 MKII is now released.

I am not sure if I would like to buy MKII to just experience with it and share the results with you modders enthusiasts, but this is as much as I can say.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #394 of 440
Has anyone ever tried plasti-dip instead of the medical tape?
The Sony Z7 is being flooded constantly with mod tips and cable talk, so in an effort to reduce that and keep that thread based on the stock headphone itself I am making this thread to focus on those modifications and other improvements owners might stumble upon. Advise on how to accomplish these mods or new mods is also welcomed here. To start I'll show what I did to my Z7 when I had it to make the cables between my Audeze and it easier; I installed mini XLR connectors where the stock 3.5mm connectors were on the cups.

Hi Peterek fan you of your work! :beyersmile:

Did the XLR's fit in easily and how did they get fixed to the cup (glue, screw in)?
Do you think a light layer of plasti-dip would do the same thing as the medical tape?

I also have an unused T50RP Mayflower kit, maybe I can make some use of it and does anyone know if ZMF Eikon pads will fit on and will a HD700 cable work?
Connectors https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-5...ns-For-Sony-MDR-Z7-Headphone/32700254327.html I may very well buy these.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #395 of 440
To anyone who is loving this modified Z7 sound signature. Sony is releasing an MKII version, and in my opinion. It would be a worthy upgrade to the original Z7 after modifications. Why am I saying this ? Because the patterns on the original Z7 is more about mid-range and not sub-bass or upper trebles. Therefore the Z7 signature is on a little darker side where as the Z1R pattern was refined, but has a magnesium domes that would sometime introduce the Zings and Zips under specific circumstances. On top of that the Z1R housing was too bulky.

For the time I owned Z1R and modified Z7, I wished that we could have a Z1R diaphragms without magnesium domes inside a Z7 form: what do I know ? The Z7 MKII is now released.

I am not sure if I would like to buy MKII to just experience with it and share the results with you modders enthusiasts, but this is as much as I can say.
Have you heard the mk ii, yet?

Sep 12, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #397 of 440
I might send mine to a well know tuning company and let them have their way with it.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #398 of 440
I noticed a few people asking about the removal of the felt piece in front of the driver, I decided to take a risk and performed this mod. The changes are drastic, I noticed that the highs are much more prominent, gaining more 'air' and sparkle, the mids also benefitted but nowhere as much, this doesn't make the Z7's V shaped by any means but as soon as I listened I felt like this was how they were meant to sound. I decided to remove the entire protective netting and glue in new netting ripped from a old earpad.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #399 of 440
Here is Z7 newly mod, little bit difference from earlier mod:
First Picture: The original filter had been moved to behind driver and add soft earphone pad in the middle of the cup (To avoid clipping sound while listen on high volume)
Second Picture: Add half driver cup size of curve shape harder thicker foam (Soundstage improvement). I tear apart my old Beat Studio's damage pad, the cloth size fit almost perfect Z7 ear pad and has a hole for the original screw lock
(Actually is used for driver dust protection)
After this new mod, let the headphone burn in or run around 30min, nice clarity treble noticeable, the bass more accurate hard boomy but less mushy, overall sound will tell massive improvement.

IMG_9401.jpg IMG_9403.JPG IMG_9405.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #401 of 440
The Sony Z7 is being flooded constantly with mod tips and cable talk, so in an effort to reduce that and keep that thread based on the stock headphone itself I am making this thread to focus on those modifications and other improvements owners might stumble upon. Advise on how to accomplish these mods or new mods is also welcomed here. To start I'll show what I did to my Z7 when I had it to make the cables between my Audeze and it easier; I installed mini XLR connectors where the stock 3.5mm connectors were on the cups.

I lined the cups with Dynamat and then loosely put a small amount of polyfil into the cups as well.....really cleaned up the bass and made it tighter.

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #402 of 440
Does anyone know how to safely remove dents from the z7 drivers? I just noticed my right one has a ding in it, no doubt from my fumbling with them. I tried to push it out from the back with a Q-tip and very light pressure, but I had no idea just how thin and fragile these diaphragms are. I stopped from fear of making it worse.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #403 of 440
Same thing happened to me. The guy that sold them to me had them dented. What I did was I used that “blue tack” stuff that you use to put a poster up on the wall. I rolled it into a thin piece and stuck it in the crunched part to pull it out. Worked like a charm

Does anyone know how to safely remove dents from the z7 drivers? I just noticed my right one has a ding in it, no doubt from my fumbling with them. I tried to push it out from the back with a Q-tip and very light pressure, but I had no idea just how thin and fragile these diaphragms are. I stopped from fear of making it worse.

May 5, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #404 of 440
Trying to pick up the Z7s now, any consensus on best mods to do to them?
Just don't want the treble raised anyway..low-end solidified/extended, mids cleaned up....something like an LCD2.1./2.2 SQ tuning mod.

May 5, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #405 of 440
Summary of mods:
- Re-cable with silver cables (although I'm not a believer of cables making sonic changes)
- Dampen housing with medical tape (2-3 layers) to decrease resonance, different materials will yield different changes but the thicker the dampening layer, the more the soundstage is reduced
- Foam around the inside of the pads to create more space between ear and driver
- Depending on your preferences, you can cover the pass ports to varying degrees to fine tune the bass quantity to your taste
- Removing the filter in front of the driver lifts treble

As with all mods listen to the headphones stock first to see if you actually want to change the signature.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back