Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #361 of 440
It is strange that the Innerfidelity measurements for the Z1R and Z7 seem to show more ringing on the 300Hz square wave graph and the impulse response for the Z1R than the Z7. Z7 looks a little "cleaner", if such measurements even matter, which they probably don't.

Aug 22, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #364 of 440
I was going to get a Z1R for a second location from my Ed8. Most of my "critical" listening is done with my Frankenstein Stax stuff, but sometimes I just would prefer plug 'n play.

However, with Z7 selling for 300 to 400ish$ used on ebay, the Z7 appears to be one of the best current headphone bargain "close-to-high endish" type stuff, and the described sound signature is exactly what I am interested in.

I also like the smaller form factor and appearance of the Z7 over the Z1R. It's nice to know the "echo chamber" empty plastic backing can be scotched a bit with surgical tape of all things. I have messed with headphones before, and I believe that the surgical tape stuff can work. I think the felt piece in front of the diaphragm is probably there to prevent the helmholtz beaming tendency so I will defer that, but who knows?

I don't know how much the Z1R magnesium dome contributes, because it looks like it is spliced onto the rather large LPR-Al surround, whereas the Z7 diaphragm is a single piece of LPR-Al.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #365 of 440
Has anyone here done some good testing for the optimal AMP/DAC unit for these headphones. I have an original O2DAC that I've used for years. Recently ungraded to a NFB11.28 and while I definitely noticed a improvement in sound quality and detail at higher volumes, I had to return it for static issues. Thinking about purchasing a X1s but right now I don't see many other options. I don't really wanna go for a Schiit stack because I don't like the looks

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #366 of 440
Hello all,

I just scored a pair of the Z7 headphones, and I am going to try and do the mods. Can someone please tell me how to take off the earpads? Do they twist off, or do you pull? Thanks for your time!

Wes

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #367 of 440
Peer inside cup and pull back the bottom of the padding. There is a very small cross screw head. Remove this then the earpad is unbayoneted AC.

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #368 of 440
Wow! I am glad i asked, before i started pulling on it. Thanks for your help jirams!

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #369 of 440
You are welcome.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #370 of 440
I finished the mod and I can increase the volume up and beyond 30% more than before mod without any burden on my ears.
Treble mudding seems reduced and overall sound fields seems to be controlled better.
Dynamic range seems expanded more.
Sound of strings of orchestra are more like usual phones like Fidelio X2s.

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #373 of 440
On 2nd day listening, Z7 becomes super LCD2.2 prefazor.(on bass and sub-bass and dynamic range) even more darker and more rumbling with more distance female vocal.
quality of vocals are much improved.
Extended bass down below, and less muddy treble because of this the phones allows me more volume.
However highs seem little grainy.
The phones become a different phones with maintaining the same DNA of the original Z7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back