Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
Oct 5, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #421 of 440
Screenshot_2019-10-03-13-10-27.png

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #422 of 440
kefs, could you post the link for the ear pads, I cannot find these that you have ? Thanks

Oct 5, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #423 of 440
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #424 of 440
I am surprised nobody has for Vesper Audio to make alcantara pads for this.

What is the pads diameter?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #425 of 440
These improve the sound so much you will not believe your ears. It is like the spacer mod ×10, and so comfortable. Also i have noticed no heat buildup like the stock ones
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113766486050
I just got these leather pads. Going to replace the stock ones today. I saw some discussions earlier in the thread about changing orientation of the pad angles from stock. Didn't see a final consensus about which orientation is best. I'm planning to just match stock orientation (i.e. thick part of pad at bottom of ear cup) unless someone can confirm something better?

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #426 of 440
I just got these leather pads. Going to replace the stock ones today. I saw some discussions earlier in the thread about changing orientation of the pad angles from stock. Didn't see a final consensus about which orientation is best. I'm planning to just match stock orientation (i.e. thick part of pad at bottom of ear cup) unless someone can confirm something better?
These are wedge shaped to fit the shape of the head to aid a good sealing fit so need to be orientated correctly give or take a bit.first i would mark the bottom position of the ring to help the refit, but once tightly stretched over, you can gently slide the earpad around to get a comfy fit, both sides don't have to be perfectly symetrical, as long as they feel right. Enjoy

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #427 of 440
These are wedge shaped to fit the shape of the head to aid a good sealing fit so need to be orientated correctly give or take a bit.first i would mark the bottom position of the ring to help the refit, but once tightly stretched over, you can gently slide the earpad around to get a comfy fit, both sides don't have to be perfectly symetrical, as long as they feel right. Enjoy
Ok, got them put on. The new pads came with a thin felt liner on the inside. Did you leave this in or cut it out to match the stock pads? I went ahead and left them in. It made putting the screws back in a little harder but I managed. Also, I went ahead and orientated the pads with the thick part to the front of the ear with thin in back. Seems like I recall having some HPs in the past that came this way. Not sure it matters that much. Thanks.

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #428 of 440
Ok, got them put on. The new pads came with a thin felt liner on the inside. Did you leave this in or cut it out to match the stock pads? I went ahead and left them in. It made putting the screws back in a little harder but I managed. Also, I went ahead and orientated the pads with the thick part to the front of the ear with thin in back. Seems like I recall having some HPs in the past that came this way. Not sure it matters that much. Thanks.
I left the mesh in as i take them to work and prevents dust getting in, i dont feel it veils the sound at all. As for the pads, the ' normal' way is the thick side is behind your ear so it snugs the shape of your head behind, but whatever suits you. Also the aperture for your ear only really fits one way. Left and Right are specific

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #429 of 440
I ordered 100mm perforated goatskin so will report back. I've found the 110mm to be smoother than regular lambskin.

JPEG_20191031_160542.jpg

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #430 of 440
IMG_20191119_102838.jpg
I have gently pried the front felt off of the center and can verify a less veiled and more clear sound with greater focus, yet the trebles are slightly increased, but not in any bad way.
There was no sibilance to cover, so leaving the felt in just almost evenly lowers the trebles..
The trebles now closer to neutral .
:)

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #431 of 440
Further testing is showing the rear paper causing some treble peakiness..
IMG_20191119_131014.jpg
You can gently peel them off and swap off with a softer material like the surgical tape used in beginning of this thread mod used on cups.
I did not choose to tape cup.
I will line a thin strip of dynamat for vibration and am currently using wool felt on top of soft bubble wrap so least loss of interior Volume, to keep a more spacious sound.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #432 of 440
Hi all, I got a crazy good deal on pair of z7, the standard 3m cable had lost its jack (one that goes into DAP) now I have bought a soldering kit and a new jack, the wires look as they were with 2 joined for ground (I assume) and a red and green, what I need to know is does the double wire (ground?) go the the centre connection, red to right and green to left?
I think the z7 may be a little different from standard?

Any help appreciated.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #433 of 440
Hi all, I got a crazy good deal on pair of z7, the standard 3m cable had lost its jack (one that goes into DAP) now I have bought a soldering kit and a new jack, the wires look as they were with 2 joined for ground (I assume) and a red and green, what I need to know is does the double wire (ground?) go the the centre connection, red to right and green to left?
I think the z7 may be a little different from standard?

Any help appreciated.

IDK what Sony have done with the color scheme but as far as standard 3.5mm single end TRS connections for connection to audio output (not earcups) IIRC: ground to the sleeve (usually outermost solder point), green/left to the tip (usually the center solder point), red/right goes to the ring (middle solder point).

If, looking down at the solder points, you drew it as a concentric circles:
o ) ))
o= tip )=ring ))=sleeve.

If you get the ground right, but the polarity wrong, you can always just swap the R/L earcup cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back