Sony MDR-Z7 Upgrades and Mods Thread
May 11, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #406 of 440
Quick question while I'm working my way through this thread, does going balanced input cause any issues with the sound quality ?

I guess on the low-end it will tighten up bass speed and definition/texture with the voltage increase, but does it kick out the FR badly
anywhere else...bloating etc ?

I read someone else did not get a good result with the iBasso PB3 balanced out on this or the other thread regarding synergy which was interesting, as it was a decent mobile amp I had my eye on for Sony XBA-N3 I will pick up later in the year, and Z7s.

The richness and musicality of the N3 hybrid IEMs was just great and I think Z7 uses the same cone and cone treatment. What a steal the N3 are, considering the leaps in pricing on the new Sony stuff as they price like boutiques but they have 50+ years of 'economies of scale' LOL...wonder what their BOM (bill of materials) on the new gear is, 1/100 ?

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #407 of 440
Quick question while I'm working my way through this thread, does going balanced input cause any issues with the sound quality ?

I guess on the low-end it will tighten up bass speed and definition/texture with the voltage increase, but does it kick out the FR badly
anywhere else...bloating etc ?

I read someone else did not get a good result with the iBasso PB3 balanced out on this or the other thread regarding synergy which was interesting, as it was a decent mobile amp I had my eye on for Sony XBA-N3 I will pick up later in the year, and Z7s.

The richness and musicality of the N3 hybrid IEMs was just great and I think Z7 uses the same cone and cone treatment. What a steal the N3 are, considering the leaps in pricing on the new Sony stuff as they price like boutiques but they have 50+ years of 'economies of scale' LOL...wonder what their BOM (bill of materials) on the new gear is, 1/100 ?

I didn't notice any significant differences when I ran mine balanced from GOV2+, compared to my single end portable amp, but I think they were under-powered a little bit that way. I finally got a small SE desktop amp (Corda Rock FF) not too long ago and they seem better overall, a little more even-keeled from that than any of my portable gear, SE or BAL. In addition to the power difference this amp does have somewhat high output impedance- I've not enough understanding to draw any conclusions from this.

Maybe it's crazy talk, but I actually prefer tonal balance of N3 to Z7, I think each of these headphones could learn a little from the other.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #408 of 440
No crazy talk, final SQ preference can only be subjective....regardless of price.

So after reading the entire thread, I saw there were some who used medical tape in the cups and some who used dynamat/charcoal foam.
Anyone use both and have a final preference..I think the foam moved the mids back to be less subjectively shouty with a 1Khz peak being tamed ?
Edit : I guess a 3rd option that is not either/or is porous foam in the cups and tape on the back of the drivers like other can mods..Fostex etc.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #409 of 440
Swapped cables with my Z1R, Norne Draug Silver, omg, a much larger difference than with the Z1R's even. I was already using Sony Kimber, but they are closed in and nasally in comparison, the sound becomes MASSIVE and 3 dimensional, treating each element of the music individually, but also as a whole performance. I cannot listen to anything lesser now. @TigzStudio

May 14, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #410 of 440
Swapped cables with my Z1R, Norne Draug Silver, omg, a much larger difference than with the Z1R's even. I was already using Sony Kimber, but they are closed in and nasally in comparison, the sound becomes MASSIVE and 3 dimensional, treating each element of the music individually, but also as a whole performance. I cannot listen to anything lesser now. @TigzStudio

Was it difficult to remove the cheap $1 or whatever stock cabling inside the cups, just before the cones, and solder in the Norne Draug Silver ?

Jun 8, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #413 of 440
I havn't modded mine yet, but will when i have time
Did you mean you just swapped the stock z1r cable to the z7 and that made all the huge improvements? Sorry not very particular with z1r' cable.

Jun 9, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #415 of 440
Hi, no i swapped over with my Norne Audio draug silver cable that i had made and use with the Z1R's. @TigzStudio

Right, so the headphone port connector on Z1R and Z7 are the same. Good to know.

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #417 of 440
20190810_164546.jpg
20190810_164607.jpg
20190810_164636.jpg
Wow, replacement pads fitted, there is now bass AND soundstage and my ears aren't rubbing on the drivers!
Next has to be some mods.
So i need some 'micropore' tape firstly?
I then get my colleague to swap internal wiring to high quality silver?
Cutting and inserting shaped foam or other ( what thickness) to the internal of pads?
Listening as typing this and goodness they sound nice.
Ps, there were no screws holding the pads on so i presume the original owner removed and not replaced, what size are they please, something like spectacle screws ?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #418 of 440
Wow, replacement pads fitted, there is now bass AND soundstage and my ears aren't rubbing on the drivers!
Next has to be some mods.
So i need some 'micropore' tape firstly?
I then get my colleague to swap internal wiring to high quality silver?
Cutting and inserting shaped foam or other ( what thickness) to the internal of pads?
Listening as typing this and goodness they sound nice.
Ps, there were no screws holding the pads on so i presume the original owner removed and not replaced, what size are they please, something like spectacle screws ?
Where did you got the replacement pads sorry? I’m looking for a pair

Oct 2, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #419 of 440
So! Got a spare used pair, already treat em with dynamite, removed the front of the driver black pad, still need a new cable (cause the one I’ve got em with is seriously ****ed) and re wire em, I’m looking forward the re wiring, i think that and a proper cable will make em top notch, for what i paid (they are in quite a rough shape, need pads and new cables, the driver is on shape so I’m ok with em, i can embrace the fact that i normally get to unbox all my stuff, this came in a bag...) I’m quite happy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back