Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Oct 5, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #468 of 644
Really worth it. For less than 200$ you'll get deep bass and clear sound. The downside its just the design, its too bulky. Any ideas to change or replace the bulky body design ??

Nov 3, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #470 of 644
I bought these headphones last week and really dissapointed in the quality control of them.

1st set had a noisy cup and would sqeak from just wearing them so i swapped them.
2nd set had a buzzing sound from the left can, so i swapped them again.

3rd now that I have now are fine but the left headphone rubs just a tad when you swivel in and out the headphone piece. Does anyone have this problem? The right side doesnt rub at all.

I was thinking about sanding the plastic on the underside of the headset a bit so the plastic wont rub against the headphone when it swivels. What would you guys use?

I would just leave it but the only thing is that when I have them on, when i turn my head to the left or even open my mouth i can hear the plastic on the left speaker make noise as the speaker is obviously moving and rubbing against the headband.

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #471 of 644
Hi all, I'm new here! Has anybody had an issue with these headphones, in which it stops being recognized or connected to your iPhone and laptop? It just stopped working and I'm using them with the cable..... I tried holding down the Power button for 8 seconds to put it on Connect mode, and nothing happened....
I appreciate any input!
Thanks!
Laura, the Musician.

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #472 of 644
Looking forward to getting these. I liked my XB500s but they were always a bit too muddy. It sounds like these would be better, especially with the mods you guys have posted.

Very interested in a comparison with the xb500, I just wish a tad more clarity, but not too much

I haven't been on here in years but for good reason. You all recommended me my last pair of headphones (xb500) and I've been happy ever since. I'm in the market for a similar upgrade, with wireless capability, hopefully similar bass and just a tad better highs and mids. I listen to a lot of hip hop and love me some thumping bass.

So what's the verdict guys are these comparable to the XB500 bass wise, would you say they have more/about equal/or less bass? Also are the mids and highs at least a tad better than the xb500?

Jb

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #473 of 644
I haven't been on here in years but for good reason. You all recommended me my last pair of headphones (xb500) and I've been happy ever since. I'm in the market for a similar upgrade, with wireless capability, hopefully similar bass and just a tad better highs and mids. I listen to a lot of hip hop and love me some thumping bass.

So what's the verdict guys are these comparable to the XB500 bass wise, would you say they have more/about equal/or less bass? Also are the mids and highs at least a tad better than the xb500?

Jb

Hi there. I tried the xb950 at my local shop.. but they aren't much different from the xb500. Very dark cavernous/sound. A good xb500 equivalent, but it definitely hasn't more clarity 
tongue.gif

I think the MDR-1A might be a great upgrade. I was about to buy them but then the MDR-100AAP were available, didn't have a chance to try them though. But the 100AAP seem like the sound more balanced and sparkling in the highs, so they might not be my cup of tea.

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #474 of 644

Hi there. I tried the xb950 at my local shop.. but they aren't much different from the xb500. Very dark cavernous/sound. A good xb500 equivalent, but it definitely hasn't more clarity 
tongue.gif

I think the MDR-1A might be a great upgrade. I was about to buy them but then the MDR-100AAP were available, didn't have a chance to try them though. But the 100AAP seem like the sound more balanced and sparkling in the highs, so they might not be my cup of tea.

True, the xb500 are bassy like the xb950 but the 950 are more controlled. With EQ you can really make both shine... the 500 will extend more but the whole thing isnt as focused and clean like the 950. its a proper upgrade, though not huge but considering build, fit, and possibly removable cable/wireless capability its easy to recommend.

Something the MDR1 or others will be more balanced... but if xb500 is doing it for you then another sig may disappoint. denon d600, or yamaha 400/500 pro would be more of a "high end" bassy upgrade.

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #475 of 644

Jb

Hi Jb,

I haven't tried the 500's so I can't give you a comparison but the 950's are definitely my favourite set of headphones...and I've tried a lot! Check out my comparisons Here!

I personally don't think you'll like the 1 r's or the 1 abt's as they produce nowhere near as much bass as the 950's!

I would strongly recommend the mods though as they really tighten up the bass and improve the mids! There's a link to the mods in my comparison and suggestions on how to tweek the mod to retain more of the bass!

Hope this helps?
Arran

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #477 of 644
Does anyone know how these compare to their silver, wired counterpart? I'm making a decision whether to try these out again or not.

AFAIK the bass in the wired ones is the same as the bluetooth ones with the bass boost on. So in the bluetooth ones you can diminish the bass a little if you want, in the wired ones you only get the super dark cavernous bassy sound. Correct me if I am wrong other guys!

cheers

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #478 of 644
I've had these for a while and love them. I went from V-Moda Crossfade M-100s (pinched too much) to Bose QC25 (terrible sound) to these, so no, I didn't really know what I wanted. 
evil_smiley.gif
 I tried them on at my store and was immediately taken by the padding on the earcups. I usually use these at my desk in wired mode - yes, a bit too bulky to walk around midtown Manhattan. Over wireless with the bass boost, it's helpful on some tracks, overkill on others. I shuffle my songs, so I can go from the Eagles to Overkill to the Dwarves to Thin Lizzy to Pantera. Not all songs are made for extra bass, and in some cases, it blows out other elements of the song.

Including a carrying case would have been nice, so I bought one off of Amazon. Took a week to get the chemical smell out of the case.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #479 of 644
I just bought a pair few days ago. Went with the BT version and they sound better than what I remember. Very punchy tight bass, with amazing clarity through Bluetooth. In fact, I feel that they sound better wireless.

If only they weren't so damn huge they'd be perfect for walking around campus.

Also, I agree with the previous poster. The QC 25's have horrible sound.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #480 of 644
What do you guys think of these vs Wired Beats Solo 2? I want a pair of headphones for use with my iPhone and MacBook for listening to music, both around the house and at work (office). I don't care about wireless/bluetooth, I'd probably use them wired. Beats will be on sale for $97 at Target for Black Friday and these are on sale now for $100 at Best Buy. I'd like them to somewhat portable. Would these be wearable lying in bed with head on a pillow or would the beats be better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back