Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Nov 22, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #481 of 644
What do you guys think of these vs Wired Beats Solo 2? I want a pair of headphones for use with my iPhone and MacBook for listening to music, both around the house and at work (office). I don't care about wireless/bluetooth, I'd probably use them wired. Beats will be on sale for $97 at Target for Black Friday and these are on sale now for $100 at Best Buy. I'd like them to somewhat portable. Would these be wearable lying in bed with head on a pillow or would the beats be better?

I have both. For my money I would go with the XB950bt. Better bang for your buck... BUT if you value controls on your cable, then get the Beats cause in passive mode you have no mic nor remote.

I prefer the Sonys because Bluetooth is great. The bass is better when using the bass boost on Bluetooth and I personally like over the ear vs On Ear. The Solo2 are a little bit pinch-y on your ears after a while. SQ wise they are both good with the bass going to the Sonys even in passive mode.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #482 of 644
I finally got them and love the sound on these things, great bass comparable to the xb500 but a lot better highs and mids. I love the controls and Bluetooth everything works flawless, definite upgrade.

Where they are falling short for me though is on comfort, while the pads feel good they clamp down so hard on my head. I feel some head/neck fatigue after just a half hour or so whereas the xb500 I could sleep in them. I don't want to but I might have to take them back because of this. Any suggestions on stretching them out without damaging them? Should they stretch on their own over time?

I'm pretty bummed as I like everything else about them.

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #483 of 644
Where they are falling short for me though is on comfort, while the pads feel good they clamp down so hard on my head. I feel some head/neck fatigue after just a half hour or so whereas the xb500 I could sleep in them. I don't want to but I might have to take them back because of this. Any suggestions on stretching them out without damaging them? Should they stretch on their own over time?

That happened with mine when I would put them on and I found that the more you extend the sides of the headband is the more weight on your head causing fatigue. I also didn't need to extend them that far and they feel light weight now to the point of barely feeling that I have them on.

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #484 of 644
I finally got them and love the sound on these things, great bass comparable to the xb500 but a lot better highs and mids. I love the controls and Bluetooth everything works flawless, definite upgrade.

Glad to hear you like them....at least from an audio point of view!

Did you check out the mods I mentioned in my last reply? Definitely worth looking into!

It's a shame you find them uncomfortable as I find them the most comfortable by a long way out of all the ones I've tried....and I've tried quite a few!

I do have a relatively small head though and as DCY77 says, the more you extend the headband the tighter they get!

I personally would try stretching them as I can't see it causing any damage...all that might happen is that the metal bends slightly where it meets the plastic, but even if it did it would be a small price to pay in order that you get to keep such a fantastic pair of cans!

As I mentioned in my Comparisons , the only other Bluetooth cans which are pretty close in bass quantity are the Logitech UE9000's, the Philips Fidelio M2BT and my recently tested Denon AH-GC20's but non of them compare in comfort to the XB950's!

The UE9000's are very heavy, have an uncomfortable rubber headband and the earcups aren't very soft and are of a poor shape causing pressure to the lower part of the ear!

The Fidelio's are 'On Ear' and whilst they are relatively comfortable for 'On Ear' they don't compare to 'Over Ear' and will cause discomfort over prolonged periods!

The Denon's are pretty comfy, with very soft earcups like the XB950's but even I found them to clamp quite tight so they'd be even worse for you!

I'm sure you'll be able to stretch the XB950's or they may even become more comfortable over time?....then you'll have one of the most comfortable, bassiest bluetooth cans around!

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #485 of 644
When I bought mine the pressure made me almost nauseus when I put them on(I have a huge melon of a head). So I put mine on a box that was slightly wider than my head over night and the clamping force became alot better. The metal part of the headband is very flexible so I wouldn't worry about breaking them. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #486 of 644
Hey everyone, so this will be my very first post on here as I just signed up to this site. So live been teetering between getting the m50x or this bad boy for a while now and have basically made up my mind that the Sony will be better for me due to the Bluetooth function and just being a little bit less pricy, even if the audio may be less clear. I've been prowling this thread and other sites and I can't seem to find many people who have bought them in a color other than black. I'm having a hard time deciding between black, blue, and gray because they all look awesome to me. I see enoug black versions on google images but if anyone purchased blue or gray ones can you post pics?! Best Buy seems to have an abundance of blue ones. Any pics or advice appreciated, thank you.

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #487 of 644
Hey everyone, so this will be my very first post on here as I just signed up to this site. So live been teetering between getting the m50x or this bad boy for a while now and have basically made up my mind that the Sony will be better for me due to the Bluetooth function and just being a little bit less pricy, even if the audio may be less clear. I've been prowling this thread and other sites and I can't seem to find many people who have bought them in a color other than black. I'm having a hard time deciding between black, blue, and gray because they all look awesome to me. I see enoug black versions on google images but if anyone purchased blue or gray ones can you post pics?! Best Buy seems to have an abundance of blue ones. Any pics or advice appreciated, thank you.
You'll like them, trust me. They're fun sounding and fairly clear, no sibilance unlike the M50

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #488 of 644
I certainly hope so Filo! Ill be asking for them for my upcoming birthday for what is likely going to be my last birthday request (as a graduating senior) so Im looking forward to getting them. I just cant decide on the color, what color is yours?

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #489 of 644
I certainly hope so Filo! Ill be asking for them for my upcoming birthday for what is likely going to be my last birthday request (as a graduating senior) so Im looking forward to getting them. I just cant decide on the color, what color is yours?

I have the simple black color.

Now just to be sure, if you're looking for that analytical sound, get the M50. I have the M50 and can't stand the sweaty, stickiness and fatiguing sound. I love the sonys for their Bluetooth, bass features and are overall much for comfortable. Also, since they are fairly clear, your ears won't fatigue if you get the xb950

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #491 of 644
  What do you guys think of these vs Wired Beats Solo 2? I want a pair of headphones for use with my iPhone and MacBook for listening to music, both around the house and at work (office). I don't care about wireless/bluetooth, I'd probably use them wired. Beats will be on sale for $97 at Target for Black Friday and these are on sale now for $100 at Best Buy. I'd like them to somewhat portable. Would these be wearable lying in bed with head on a pillow or would the beats be better?

I'm a side sleeper so I couldn't use the Sonys in bed.

I'm a little surprised to read of people complaining about clamping. I have a 7-3/4 hat size so I always thought I was on the extreme. They fit fine for me, though the pads get a little hot after a while.

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #492 of 644
I have the simple black color.

Now just to be sure, if you're looking for that analytical sound, get the M50. I have the M50 and can't stand the sweaty, stickiness and fatiguing sound. I love the sonys for their Bluetooth, bass features and are overall much for comfortable. Also, since they are fairly clear, your ears won't fatigue if you get the xb950

Ahh gotcha, I understand. Yes, at first I was really gunning for the m50x because of how it was an affordable quality monitoring headset but the overall package that the MDR can provide for me is just a bit better value wise. I have heard the Sony's are quite awesome for gaming because of the bass response and just being able to do that along with taking calls and being unwired( along with how awesome they look!) is very attractive for me. Plus, being a simpler person and nowhere near an audiophile i am really just looking for a headset that is a jack of all trades with quality sound. They look so neat and professional in black with sporty red trim but the grey and blue versions are definitely growing on me.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #494 of 644
Just got my 950bt  today - first quick impressions - listening on BT 4.1 from LG G4 with aptx

Bass boost is ridiculous! ( you can feel the earcups jumping around your ears) (AC/DC back in black) (Rage against the Machine) 1992
Bass is great for hard rock , almost addictive - try it you might like it
Cant listen to them while charging in BT mode

comfy on my 7 5/8in  head

Wish they would go a little bit louder in BT mode , but still pretty loud - i like it loud

Great Headphones for 98$ !!!

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #495 of 644
  Just got my 950bt about 30 mins ago - first quick impressions -

Bass boost is ridiculous! - too much bass - i wont be using that button (AC/DC back in black)

Cant listen to them while charging in BT mode

comfy on my 7 5/8in  head

Wish they would go a little bit louder in BT mode

Great Headphones for 98$ !!!

What color did you buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back