Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Dec 29, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #511 of 644
Hai, been reading this thread and decide to buy one.

for me, the build quality is good. i cant expect lifetime quality with this price range. i never use the bass boost, just connect it via bluetooth to my note3, ipad air 2 and MBP retina.

the sound quality is good, i aint expect it to match anything like momentum or others urban flagship headphone. i have momentun 1, sony XBA-Z5, Stagediver SD4, earsonic SM64 and westone UM3x. dan for me the sound quality is enough, the segment of bluetooth headphone is to catch portability over sound quality, and it is EXTRA BASS headphone, you cant expect an audiophile type of sound out of it.

i turn my EQ to flat, and the sound is pretty neutral for an extra bass Headphone, not sparkling like more expensive one, but just enough. buy if for 1.700.000 indonesian rupiah (120 US), i think it's a good purchase.

i agree connecting from one device to another quite difficult. but have a headphone around 100 US with no cable attacted to it, it is the deal breaker.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #512 of 644
Since purchasing the XB950BT, I'm wondering is it still worth keeping the MDR-10R?
I was considering purchasing the MDR-100AAF and listed my MDR-10R for sale on Craigslist to make up some of the difference in cost, but now with the MDR-XB950BT I no longer plan on doing so. 

Will the XB950BT be a worthy alternative to the MDR-10R when listening wired?
I've tested the XB950BT with my LG V10 wired with the Sabre 32 bit DAC & Amp and with the same EQ settings as the 10R and sound was quite pleasing.
I still prefer the physical form factor of the MDR-10R over the XB950BT.

I listen to mainly FLAC and Hi Res audio, so will the MDR950BT be effective enough...the main reason why I purchased the MDR-10R in the first place.

Any advice will be helpful.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #513 of 644

hai, i think you can replace the mdr-10R with something more "audiophile", you can use xb950bt for movie/computer use, and new headphone for critical listening. what about audio technica? m50x? R70x? hehehe..., after that maybe some DAC and AMP, hehehe...

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #514 of 644
I currently own an original pair of Sony MDR-V900 which I purchased in 1999 and also Logitech UE6000...none are considered "audiophile" but fills my needs/wants.
If I'm to purchase another set of headphones, they will have to be considered qualified "Hi Res" headphones.

I'm quite happy with the results from my LG V10 and don't plan on adding any additional DAC or Amps to my collection.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-DS6500 Wireless Over-Ear Headphones for my movies.
I'm not an audiophile, but do enjoy my music and movies.

There is actually a pair of Audio Technica M50X be sold on Craigslist for $105 near my residence...I might consider it.
I'll see if the seller will lower it price...I might buy them if the price and condition is right.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/5371147156.html

If I do buy them...(my wife is going to "kill" me!) Yikes!

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #516 of 644
I have the Sony MDR-XB950AP version and from my integrated Realtek soundcard on my PC, and compared to hearing a movie in a theater, the sound quality is horrendous.

The sonic range is extremely limited and the sound, dissapointing.

The bass is nowhere, the mids are very present but sounds weak, and the treble is absent.

The bass should be extended to deliver those low frequencies, they're not, offering zero punch and rumble and the treble, it's a mudfest unimpressive at best.

I don't know if it's the rig I have, but anyhow, it sounds BAD.

The only thing I like is that it's got more mids than average headphones.

But the dynamic range is useless, no low and no high.

Well it certainly does have low range, it is just not very clear. The high range is also rolled off to create a headphone that is unoffensive and can be cranked so people can enjoy their bass.

I owned a pair a while back and I've listed to many headphones. There many headphones in this price range and even at around $500 that are going to be problematic for you. The XB950ap is a 'fun' headphone it not accurate enough for my tastes. It does have a quality driver in it, but it just takes too much drastic EQ to get it sound balanced.

I read you are getting the mdr-z7. This will definitely be better. But you may need to listen to some other headphones just to hear what is out there. I would check out the HD800 (or new 800S), HD700, Hifiman HE500, HE560, HE400i, Audeze LCD2, Beyerdynamic T1 and T5p. Some of these will need a decent amp.

Also listen to some less expensive pair like the HD598, Fidelio X2, and HD600.

Also just to add: when you listen to a movie, even through a 7.1 / 5.1 receiver there is significant DSP processing that is done to the sound. You can actually get Dolby processing for headphones. This type of dsp processing isn't something you would typically want to listen to your music with. It is more than just EQ adjustment. So you aren't going to find a headphone out of the box that sounds like you movie theatre. If you really want to get that immersive and intense presentation that movies offer you could pair a more neutral (but EQ friendly) headphone with a mix of hardware software to get the right sound. There are even some cheap but quite decent options - look into Astro gaming mixamp (which can simulate and support Dolby 7.1). I've used some software processing and Dolby actually is very good. I use an app on my iPhone called nPlayer which supports Dolby prologic and it helps for movies. I've had less luck finding an app for my Mac, one of them was pretty good RAPPR from dysonics.com. It had problems with supporting my usb soundcard. There is a free trial, so if you try it, see if it works just with you internal soundcard. Also, with 950AP it may just be a baddy blob of a mess so maybe wait for your Z7.

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #517 of 644
Well it certainly does have low range, it is just not very clear. The high range is also rolled off to create a headphone that is unoffensive and can be cranked so people can enjoy their bass.

I owned a pair a while back and I've listed to many headphones. There many headphones in this price range and even at around $500 that are going to be problematic for you. The XB950ap is a 'fun' headphone it not accurate enough for my tastes. It does have a quality driver in it, but it just takes too much drastic EQ to get it sound balanced.

I read you are getting the mdr-z7. This will definitely be better. But you may need to listen to some other headphones just to hear what is out there. I would check out the HD800 (or new 800S), HD700, Hifiman HE500, HE560, HE400i, Audeze LCD2, Beyerdynamic T1 and T5p. Some of these will need a decent amp.

Also listen to some less expensive pair like the HD598, Fidelio X2, and HD600.

Also just to add: when you listen to a movie, even through a 7.1 / 5.1 receiver there is significant DSP processing that is done to the sound. You can actually get Dolby processing for headphones. This type of dsp processing isn't something you would typically want to listen to your music with. It is more than just EQ adjustment. So you aren't going to find a headphone out of the box that sounds like you movie theatre. If you really want to get that immersive and intense presentation that movies offer you could pair a more neutral (but EQ friendly) headphone with a mix of hardware software to get the right sound. There are even some cheap but quite decent options - look into Astro gaming mixamp (which can simulate and support Dolby 7.1). I've used some software processing and Dolby actually is very good. I use an app on my iPhone called nPlayer which supports Dolby prologic and it helps for movies. I've had less luck finding an app for my Mac, one of them was pretty good RAPPR from dysonics.com. It had problems with supporting my usb soundcard. There is a free trial, so if you try it, see if it works just with you internal soundcard. Also, with 950AP it may just be a baddy blob of a mess so maybe wait for your Z7.

Thank you, you are right I've been a bit harsh against them...

They're very good low-mid wise for EDM, but when I listen to Echosmith - Brite for example, they need a whole new tuning.

It's like it's either this or that, and not both.

"Also just to add: when you listen to a movie, even through a 7.1 / 5.1 receiver there is significant DSP processing that is done to the sound."

I bet... they confuse me. I don't know about processing much, but out of the box, it's crazy the difference between cinema and headphone sound.

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #518 of 644
I can't comment on the wired version but the Bluetooth version is certainly bass heavy to say the least. I'd also say the bass isn't particularly well defined. It makes the mids and highs a bit recessed as a result.

I just ordered a pair of HE-400i to complement these for at home listening.

The Bluetooth was and is the selling point for me, as well as the excellent sound isolation. I am typing this while I'm cleaning the house and listening to music. I can see the kid's mouths moving, yet don't hear a thing from them. Bliss!

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #519 of 644
  Thank you, you are right I've been a bit harsh against them...

They're very good low-mid wise for EDM, but when I listen to Echosmith - Brite for example, they need a whole new tuning.

It's like it's either this or that, and not both.

"Also just to add: when you listen to a movie, even through a 7.1 / 5.1 receiver there is significant DSP processing that is done to the sound."

I bet... they confuse me. I don't know about processing much, but out of the box, it's crazy the difference between cinema and headphone sound.

In my earlier post I recommended RAPPR. I just purchased it on sale, but there is a much  better 5.1/7.1 implementation that you can try for free.

Its called Hajo's Headphone Enhancer. http://hajoheadphone.com/ 

Technically you could use it with your 950AP, but I wouldn't enable any extra bass settings on the software. His built-in presets are pretty good so try them out. Or you can make your own custom setting and can experiment with channel levels and 'clarity' and 'head width setting'. Make sure to feed it a good 5.1/7.1 signal. Pick an obvious movie like X-men that has plenty of surround effects going on . even on Netflix you will get a lot of surround encoded movies.

Also, while Hajo's headphone enhancer is very good, I get some bass distortion using it with external USB cards. On some settings, including custom settings, you can reduce the input/output or bass settings to avoid clipping on an external DAC.

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #520 of 644
  In my earlier post I recommended RAPPR. I just purchased it on sale, but there is a much  better 5.1/7.1 implementation that you can try for free.

Technically you could use it with your 950AP, but I wouldn't enable any extra bass settings on the software. His built-in presets are pretty good so try them out. Or you can make your own custom setting and can experiment with channel levels and 'clarity' and 'head width setting'. Make sure to feed it a good 5.1/7.1 signal. Pick an obvious movie like X-men that has plenty of surround effects going on . even on Netflix you will get a lot of surround encoded movies.

Also, while Hajo's headphone enhancer is very good, I get bass distortion using it with external USB cards. :frowning2:

Nice!

I am on Windows though...

I tried different audio players and their DSP settings such as a 5.1 Dolby decoder and others people were raving about but to my ears the differences were not substantial, some apparently were just some impulse files calibrated into virtual spatial field...

Nevertheless, it never sounded like a movie theater to me lol...!

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #521 of 644

Also, while Hajo's headphone enhancer is very good, I get some bass distortion using it with external USB cards. On some settings, including custom settings, you can reduce the input/output or bass settings to avoid clipping on an external DAC.

Nice!

I'm on Windows, I tried many audio software but they did not help me get closer to theater experience...

"Make sure to feed it a good 5.1/7.1 signal. Pick an obvious movie like X-men that has plenty of surround effects going on . even on Netflix you will get a lot of surround encoded movies."

I've never really been able to use 5.1/7.1 on stereo headphones if it's what you mean...

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #522 of 644
Can anyone who has tried the MDR X05 Simon Cowell's comment on the differences in bass and soundstage compared to the XB950BT's?    

I was a big fan of the Monster Inspiration which had that 'layered' full range bass, how do the XB950BT's compare to those?

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #523 of 644
  Can anyone who has tried the MDR X05 Simon Cowell's comment on the differences in bass and soundstage compared to the XB950BT's?    

I was a big fan of the Monster Inspiration which had that 'layered' full range bass, how do the XB950BT's compare to those?

"The MDR X05 sound like a cat falling off the Empire State Building."

- Simon Cowell

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #525 of 644
  Coming from the Akg you will have a shock.
Two completely different worlds.
I have had the AKG K240 Monitor. The 600ohms version.
More neutral than Switzerland, and super detailed.
The totally opposite of the XB.
I would look elsewhere.
But well, if you already know that these are extra bass cans (where unfortunately extra does not mean better), you know what to expect.
IMO, they are not bad, specially after some INTENSE EQ. But I would rather buy the Jabra Revo Wireless. They are more interesting.
If you could spend 20 more the Harman Kardon BT would be even better. If you like their look :)

But you know that if you ask "are they worth" in a thread about a specific Headphone, you will seldom get a negative answer, don't you?

Thats what I was asking about more or less because from the few minutes I got to listen to the XB, before my phone batt died on me, it lacked a lot of clarity overall.  I guess Im going to go back listen to it and see if it can come anything close to the 05s or Inspirations.   Almost feels like a lot of empty hype about this set of cans, and that  even after heavy EQ'ing, and break-in period I guess anything sounds good...decent for a BT at that price.  Just really want something that can touch an Inspiration's pumping bass output etc.  

The Harman Kardon BT are an interesting alternative, a reviewer at amazon claimed it sounded like a corded Bose.   I would not be surprised, just weary about the depth in the lower frequencies because I perused the few pages at amazon and the word bass did not come up which, to me says it is mostly proficient for midrange and high's which is not necessarily the sound I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back