Sony MDR xb1000? NEw? OMG
Jan 15, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #77 of 505

Quote:
Looks like I've found my next headphone -- just need to sell my HD650s so that I can actually start ENJOYING my music instead of analyzing it. I now firmly consider myself a basshead.

And there ain't nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you don't damage your ears, of course. These XB1000s look like a great choice for someone like you, but if you want more fun in your music, you might want to consider some headphones like Ultrasones, Grados, and Beyerdynamics.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #79 of 505

Quote:
Looks like I've found my next headphone -- just need to sell my HD650s so that I can actually start ENJOYING my music instead of analyzing it. I now firmly consider myself a basshead.

These headphones do that well. To ME personally I CAN feel the music Like Not just the bass the Mid range i can feel in my ear. like the meat of it and the treble as well. MEAT i feel SOund with these. instead with 701 or senns i Can hear it not FEEL the music.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #80 of 505
you probably won't be saying this ten or twenty years from now when these extremely bass heavy cans that you can feel make you go deaf. if headphone drivers are moving enough air to feel it, then it's too loud. also I feel plenty of impact from my properly amped HD650's.

Quote:
These headphones do that well. To ME personally I CAN feel the music Like Not just the bass the Mid range i can feel in my ear. like the meat of it and the treble as well. MEAT i feel SOund with these. instead with 701 or senns i Can hear it not FEEL the music.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #81 of 505
Re the HD650, they do offer very good bass "slam" for an open can if you power them properly(no portables). After realizing that my OTL tube amp wasn't handling bass very well with my XB700, even my XM5 and SR-71A amps dish out the goods for serious bass with the XB700.

But yeah, keep the listening time with high SPL limited accordingly.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #82 of 505
Yes i Agreee.I only Like loud bass when I wanna listen to it fora bout 1-3 mins. I just Like To Hear the Subsonic frequencies..  45hz-10hz is So juicy when you can hear it.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #83 of 505
That may or may not be true. At safe volumes, I can definitely feel something on my ears or head if the headphone has enough bass. You really have to be honest with yourself and assess your own response to what you are doing to you hearing. If your ears ring a lot after you listen or normal sounds sound really muffled, you are probably listening too loud or with too much bass. Keep in mind though, that bass damages your hearing much less than treble. I saw a study on that and it might explain how people drive around in those boom boom cars that pretty much knock buildings over as they go by and and can still hear anything. I am not advocating damaging your hearing in any way, but I personally think it is safer to listen to bass heavy stuff than just listen loud with treble and everything.

Quote:
you probably won't be saying this ten or twenty years from now when these extremely bass heavy cans that you can feel make you go deaf. if headphone drivers are moving enough air to feel it, then it's too loud. also I feel plenty of impact from my properly amped HD650's.

Quote:

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #84 of 505
Have you confirmed that these levels are safe? What kind of numbers are we talking here? have you measured with an SPL meter? Not to derail this thread to much, but I usually listen in the high 70's to low-mid 80's dBA. Most of my music is pretty dynamic though, i try to stay away from the mainstream stuff that gets affected by the "loudness wars".

Quote:
That may or may not be true. At safe volumes, I can definitely feel something on my ears or head if the headphone has enough bass. You really have to be honest with yourself and assess your own response to what you are doing to you hearing. If your ears ring a lot after you listen or normal sounds sound really muffled, you are probably listening too loud or with too much bass. Keep in mind though, that bass damages your hearing much less than treble. I saw a study on that and it might explain how people drive around in those boom boom cars that pretty much knock buildings over as they go by and and can still hear anything. I am not advocating damaging your hearing in any way, but I personally think it is safer to listen to bass heavy stuff than just listen loud with treble and everything.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #85 of 505
^^ yes Some peopple pump 10k Watts Into their subs and DAmn you know it! they can move air like a jet and Knock Other cars off their axels! But they usually have the windows Down So the Pressure created by the subs DO not Completely go into their ears but outside. and well Their whole body jiggles too haha!.  But yes Treble Makes your ears Muffled and Ring But bass is like a silent killer. Cause it hurts your ears without you Generally knowing it. Treble will immediately hurt your ears. But bass grows on you. So theres your headache.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #86 of 505
May seem strange but opening a window or a sunroof actually increases the SPL inside the car in most, if not all cases. In my car I gain a wopping 7db at 20hz, 5db at 30 hz, 3db at 40hz and so on just from opening my sunroof. I have a measuring microphone and RTA software for my laptop. My car stereo is far from the 10K watts that knock jets out of the air like you are talking about. My system is more on the SQ side, not the max SPL side though by the way, hence it being tuned with a mic and a laptop.

I have no scientific proof on this, but it seems to me that opening a window relieves pressure which lets the subwoofer(s) move even more air. Think of it like the car being it's own bandpass box.

Quote:
^^ yes Some peopple pump 10k Watts Into their subs and DAmn you know it! they can move air like a jet and Knock Other cars off their axels! But they usually have the windows Down So the Pressure created by the subs DO not Completely go into their ears but outside. and well Their whole body jiggles too haha!.  But yes Treble Makes your ears Muffled and Ring But bass is like a silent killer. Cause it hurts your ears without you Generally knowing it. Treble will immediately hurt your ears. But bass grows on you. So theres your headache.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #87 of 505
Thats true.. it does get louder.. because The system can Breath.  personally the subs Will reach Deeper with the window/Sunroof open because the car acts like an enclosure but the open sunroof=Port.
NOW back to topic.  With the Open sunroof system can breath BUt with it closed ALL that EXTRa air being vibrated instead of flowing out Goes into ever orphus in the car and makes fatigues it, With pressure.

I apologies for the spelling. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #88 of 505
That's also why XB series gets the big bass amount thanks to the 3 bass ports behind the headband, covering the holes makes them basslean and weird sounding, I tried it on both XB500 and XB700. :p Wonder if XB1000 will have them, if the impression would turn to be close to truth about not as much bass quantity as XB500/700 (but we don't know for sure if that was a retail sample), then it might perhaps not have them.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #89 of 505

Quote:
May seem strange but opening a window or a sunroof actually increases the SPL inside the car in most, if not all cases. In my car I gain a wopping 7db at 20hz, 5db at 30 hz, 3db at 40hz and so on...

I had two 10" subs(sealed) with 400 RMS in a F-350 reg cab and it was cool being able to tune the sound by cracking the window.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #90 of 505
nice! I have a single ten inch Dayton Reference H.O. in a .7cu ft ported box tuned to 30hz on 620 watts in a Scion tC(hatchback). It's loud, but still extremely tight and fast due to being in a tiny, but ported box. my car also has Image Dynamic carbon fiber 6.5" mids in the front heavily sound deadened doors on 200 watts each, and Seas aluminum tweeters in the kick panels each on 100 watts. All of it is run active, no passive crossovers anywhere. It's quite the beastly system. Believe it or not this system is more revealing of a bad recording than my HD650's. The aluminum tweeters aimed on-axis hide nothing.

do we have a car audio section hiding somewhere on this forum?

Quote:
I had two 10" subs(sealed) with 400 RMS in a F-350 reg cab and it was cool being able to tune the sound by cracking the window.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back